1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WTF: Cop shoots caretaker of autistic man

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gifford1967, Jul 20, 2016.

1. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know how you could present a more non-threatening profile to the police. The dude still gets shot.

<style>.mcclatchy-embed{position:relative;padding:40px 0 56.25%;height:0;overflow:hidden;max-width:100%}.mcclatchy-embed iframe{position:absolute;top:0;left:0;width:100%;height:100%}</style><div class="mcclatchy-embed"><iframe src="http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/north-miami/article90901487.html/video-embed" width="640" height="400" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true"></iframe></div>

When a 23-year-old autistic man carrying a toy truck wandered from a mental health center out into the street Monday, a worker there named Charles Kinsey went to retrieve him.

A few minutes later the autistic man was still sitting cross-legged blocking the roadway while playing with the small, rectangular white toy. And Kinsey was prone on the ground next to him — a bullet from an assault rifle fired by a police officer having struck his leg.

“He throws his hands up in the air and says, ‘Don’t shoot me.’ They say lie on the ground, so he does,” Kinsey’s attorney Hilton Napoleon said Wednesday. “He’s on his back with his hands in the air trying to convince the other guy to lie down. It doesn’t make any sense.”

Cellphone video footage obtained by Napoleon clearly shows the heavy-set autistic man sitting and playing with his toy while Kinsey, dressed in a yellow shirt and shorts, obeys police orders to lie down on his back.

The video, taken before the officer fired his weapon, shows Kinsey on his back with his hands in the air telling police he didn’t have a weapon and asking them not to fire. At one point the autistic man appears to yell at Kinsey to shut up. A second brief video shows officers who are carrying rifles physically patting down Kinsey and the autistic man while they are lying on the ground.

In an interview with WSVN-Channel 7, Kinsey said that after he was shot, officers approached and flipped him over and handcuffed him.

“Sir, there’s no need for firearms,” Kinsey told the news station he said to police before he was shot. “It was so surprising. It was like a mosquito bite.”

Kinsey said when he asked the officer why he fired his weapon, the cop responded, “I don’t know.”

By Wednesday, North Miami police hadn’t offered much of an explanation. Assistant Police Chief Neal Cuevas said the investigation has been turned over to the Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office.

Cuevas said officers received a 911 call indicating a man was in the street with a gun threatening to kill himself. They responded to Northeast 127th Street and about 14th Avenue and began barking orders. When the autistic man didn’t comply, an officer fired three times, striking Kinsey once in the leg. He was transported to Jackson Memorial Hospital.

Cuevas said he didn’t know who the officer was aiming at when he struck Kinsey. The offier’s name hasn’t been released.

In a prepared statement, North Miami police spokeswoman Natalie Buissereth said “arriving officers attempted to negotiate with the two men on the scene, one of whom was later identified as suffering from autism... At some point during the on-scene negotiation, one of the responding officers discharged his weapon.”

Police still hadn’t released any paperwork or the incident report of the shooting by Wednesday. There is no indication that a weapon of any kind was found. The officer who fired his weapon has been placed on administrative leave, as is standard, for at least a week.

Kinsey, 47, who’s worked at MacTown Panther Group Homes for a little over a year, wasn’t badly injured and is expected to be home by Thursday.

By Wednesday, Napoleon said he was already negotiating a possible settlement with the city of North Miami.

“They realize this was something inappropriate regarding the shooting,” he said. “If police departments come out more and admit fault, that would probably go a long way,” toward improving relations with the public, he said.

Still, the incident highlights the inherent dangers faced by police and the public in the wake of deadly police shootings in Dallas and Baton Rouge in which gunmen killed eight officers and wounded 10 others.

In dealing with the mentally ill, experts say, those dangers only multiply.

“I was more worried about him than myself,” Kinsey told Channel 7 of the autistic man, whose name hasn’t been released.

Said his wife Joyce Kinsey: “I’m just grateful he’s alive and able to tell his story.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article90905442.html#storylink=cpy

2. jacoby

jacoby Member

The cop is going to prison and will never wear a badge again.

NEXT

3. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wrong forum. Please move to D&D.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

There was that one lady with Asperger's in the Facebook clip where her comfort animal was working her down from a panic attack; I think a year later she had a knife while in a standoff with cops and they took her out.

5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Why did the officer open fire? I know the recording starts after the caretaker is shot, but the autistic man and his caretaker both looked entirely nonthreatening. And to fire three shots? That officer better have a good reason to fire or he's just trigger happy and should be kicked off the force.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You heard what he said! He doesn't know!

7. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

What in the world is wrong with some of these cops? They need to give many of these dudes more thorough psychological evaluations before they send out on the field.

8. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Where's the shooting?

9. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

This shows nothing.. ?

10. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

100% it was a stupid accident by an idiot that thought he had is safety on. If the cop really said "I don't know" when asked why he fired, it was because he's in shock for his own stupidity.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I doubt it

Rocket River

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

OK, but why was the man handcuffed afterward? What was he doing wrong?

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Protocol

14. hvic

hvic Member

r****d cop

15. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Citizens crippled by fear make a 911 call about a guy with a gun, what could go wrong?

16. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

the 1st half of the video actually shows the caretaker and the patient before the caretaker was shot. The caretaker (guy on his back) had his hands up.

The 2nd half of the video was after the caretaker was shot. I wish the video had shown the middle section.

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Fire that man. The cop, of course.

Sad, but one of my first reactions was that the man was laying supine, not prone, as the article stated.

18. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

A total WTF situation really...
    Had an interaction with a cop today actually, I was walking to a friends house at about 1am and I get stopped by the cop and all and he ask how old I am, I say 21, show him my ID and I assume I'm good right? Wrong, next thing I know he's patting me down and I tell him I don't really see why this is necessary but sure. And he wants to talk about his safety, well maybe if you werent harassing people without probable cause you wouldn't have to worry about your damn safety so much!

I'm noticing more and more cops are really becoming aggressors in routine situations and I mean aren't they supposed to deescalate things?

19. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

and people still wanna say KJ is wrong for what he said?

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yes, and it shouldn't be debatable. If I get robbed by a guy that happens to be black, that doesn't make it OK for me to go shoot random black people because they all deserve it.

There are thousands upon thousands of active cops in this country, most of them are just trying to do their job. Yet it makes headlines when a fraction of a percent of them abuse their power or make a poor choice.

As for this particular incident, it is the most indefensible I have seen. I don't even think this has to be moved to the D&D because their is no counter point to make. The fact that they haven't even issued an excuse highlights how much he f**ked up so I'm doubting extra evidence is gonna come out. Regardless of whether it was intentional or an accident, he should do jail time, find a new career, and be thankful it wasn't manslaughter.