1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ron Washington, the baserunner and 3B coach rules

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SooneRockStro, Jul 20, 2016.

1. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

So, Ron Washington played a vital role in tonight's A's 4-3 win as he decided to send Semien on a groundball to deep short. Not only did he send Semien, but he then proceeded to run towards 3rd base like he was a base runner as Semien headed for home. He never touched the 3B bag, but got to within about 2 feet.

I haven't heard any comments from Correa, but from his vantage point it would be VERY easy to mistake Washington for a baserunner, causing a double clutch, and thus costing the Astros the game.

I'm not sure what Washington did was illegal, but I'd say he pushed the envelope pretty good. Anyone care to post the rules regarding base coaches, and what they're allowed to do?

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Maybe there was some cocaine on the bag and Ron got an itch?
    Correa totally thought he was the base runner. Not sure if that's on Correa for falling for it, or if Washongton got away with something.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Technically, they're supposed to stay in the coaches box...but they never do and it's never something that's called. I guess it could've been considered interference and the runner would've been out.

4. Buck Turgidson

Yep, I've never heard of/seen a basecoach try to deke a fielder like that. I missed the game, gonna have to see if I can find a video clip.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

We had Pettis half way down the line few games ago waiving in the run and Ashby was happy about it. This is just what happens.

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Meh, it happens. The Astros should and do take advantage of the rules in the same way.

7. conquistador#11

more upset at the bull pen and old men in jerseys wasting dallas' beautiful game. but that's baseball.

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

no, the rules say they basically are allowed to do that. or do anything that doesn't interfere with the play. washington interfered with the play.

i'm annoyed i haven't seen any beat writers or other address this and ask hinch.