1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Varejao declines NBA title

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 17, 2016.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

And they won 67 games, IIRC last season. The Spurs are one of those teams with an outside chance to knock off the Warriors.

2. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

He can accept it then give it to me. At least $25k in value. I need the money goddammit.

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I can say this now because Andre Iguodala said so, but the Spurs couldn't get by the best team in the playoffs.

[​IMG]

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I stand by what I said.

The Spurs are an amazing team to be respected. But even winning 67 games, they don't inspire the fear that they did 5+ years ago.

Plus, you might be familiar with one of their players who retired recently.

My point was that McGrady and West went to the Spurs thinking they're still a clear-cut #1 favorite, but the times they are a changin'. Miami was "the" team for a while, and now the Warriors. Plus, you can never discount Lebron after he cakewalks through the East.

The Spurs are a threat, but not a dynasty anymore where someone can go and get a guaranteed Finals appearance.

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

WTF...I think one should definitely be proud of getting an NBA championship (provided you contributed in fashion). Doesn't really matter what others think or if they give you respect. To know that a small handful of guys get and deserve this ring every year and you were part of something that special should make you respect yourself enough.

6. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Good for Varejao for taking the high road. I imagine he believes he'll win one with his new super team.

7. 92i

92i Member

I don't know why players that got traded during the regular season from the team that eventually wins the title are getting a ring. I mean, it makes no sense, those players didn't even play in the playoff. And in Varajeao case, he was actually playing against his former team.

8. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Sorry if the criteria was posted earlier, but what exactly makes someone eligible for a ring? A certain number of games played on that team's roster? I'm just surprised that someone who was on another team's roster during the Finals would be eligible.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I know what you guys are getting at and I agree. One should always be proud of his championship provided that he did contribute to it.

Yet on the other hand, I also understand what roslolian said. In a way, it's kind of random for role players in terms of winning championships, especially if you happened to get traded or signed mid-season to a team that had been already great without you.

10. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Of course he did; Mario Ellie made SURE to give Vernon props in his post game chip speech that year! ;)

11. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

so regardless of whether he accepted the ring, in the NBA "official book of records" - Varejao will be credited for winning a championships this year, yes or no?

12. thething

thething Contributing Member

I don't think players deserve a ring if they're not even on the roster come playoffs. It makes no sense.

Even more when they're playing in the playoffs for a different team.

13. Classic

Classic Member

Weird.

14. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Do you know what it means to be part of a team? Every trainer, coach, practice squad, and contributor deserves a championship ring. Hell, if the ball-boy chases down balls all practice for a season, they deserve one too. Teams are comprised of many parts. Even the families that support all these people are part of it. They may not get a ring, but they gave up extra time with someone giving theirs to the team.

Varejao earned the ring, that's not the question. He just doesn't want it and that's fine. His choice. His loyalty has value to his current team.

[​IMG]

15. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Good. Always thought he was kind of douchey - especially how he used to use his chin to hit Yao in the shoulder.

That being said, must suck to play your whole career, 10+ seasons, for one team then be traded to another team only to meet your original team in the championship game - and lose.

16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Props to him for doing that. So what's the rule on being eligible for a ring? Did OT qualify for one in 1995?

17. choujie

choujie Member

Obviously he is not happy with how Cavs treated him.

18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, McGrady was like 20 seconds away from getting one (or whatever the time of the meltdown was for game 6 Spurs). So... No ring either, he wasn't on the Spurs team that won in 14.