1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2016-2017] Jeremy Lin as a Brooklyn Net

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 1, 2016.

1. mikus

mikus Member

I'm not sure why people think Lin is better off the bench. He isn't. He is terrible off the bench. From Basketball-Reference:

As a starter 183 games:
    FG% 3P% FT% TS% USG% ORtg DRtg MP PTS TRB AST
    .441 .361 .808 .552 21.9 106 109 32.2 14.2 3.1 5.7

As a reserve 186 games:
    .419 .322 .795 .532 21.7 103 106 21.4 9.2 2.5 3.1

He's an average starter and probably a below average bench player. 14.2/5.7 is definitely average and he's done it for nearly 200 games and half his career. It's not a fluke. It's also not a fluke that off the bench he's only 9.2/3.1 because he's also done that for almost 200 games. His shooting %'s are also slightly better as a starter.

He is who he is, he's gotten better about his turnovers this past year in Charlotte and when he jumps, he'll go for a floater now instead of having no plan. I think he can do a little better than his career averages with the Nets, which is why I say 15+ppg and 6+apg. If he can do that then he has more than earned his salary compared to others in the league and it puts him in the upper half of starting PGs in the league. I'm with King1, some people genuinely want him to fail and troll incessantly. That's kinda messed up.

1 person likes this.
  2. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Om the other hand, LinMac washes dishes at the Chinese restaurants that enabled many Lin fans to become Ivy Leaguers.

3. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

You are not a Lin fan, yet you post mostly on the most dedicated Lin thread ever.

Stop digging holes you cannot recover from.

And .... as for me, you can keep guessing where im from. I'll just keep laughing. The point is, I only need to be barely literate to obliterate you.

4. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

We are groundbreakers...

5. yoeddy

He has played along side ball-dominant SGs in Houston and LA, which impacts his stats. And as a bench player, he's been the playmaker for 2nd units that have ranked top-3 for 2nd units. Last season, Lin+Lamb were the top guard duo off the bench for scoring. Lin was 6th in the league in voting for the 6th man award. So clearly his performance is better than your interpretation of his stats.

6. mikus

mikus Member

At some point, you are what your stats say you are. Lin has 2+ seasons worth of games both as a starter and as a reserve. I'm saying he's better as a starter than as a bench player. His starter average for his career is actually better than his starter average as a Rocket for the entire year that he started here. He's gotten better since he left. I think he will have career best stats with the Nets.

As for last year, I am aware of what he did with the Hornets. His best games were as the starter as well. His splits for last year were 17.5/4.8 as the starter vs 10.6/2.6 as a reserve with again a pretty large disparity in his shooting averages.

In fact, based on his starter averages for last year, I'm probably being conservative on what he could do with the Nets, but either way, I still think he's a better starter than a reserve. He shoots worse and he shoots less coming off the bench. Maybe it's mental, maybe he needs time to warm up. I noticed that here too. He can have some good games off the bench but he's also invisible alot of the time. His splits for his last year with the Rockets are similar 14.2/4.5 vs 11.1/3.8.

If he can sustain with the Nets, the 17.5/4.8 starter average he had last year in 13 games as the starter in Charlotte(though a small sample size), he'd probably make the All Star team based on voting. Boy, that would make things fun around here...

7. yoeddy

I don't think it's a valid comparison to look at starter stats vs bench stats in isolation and draw conclusions like that. Of course starter stats will look better in a direct comparison...you play more minutes as a starter, your teammates are different as a starter, you are defended differently as a starter, your role is different as a starter, etc.

I'm not disagreeing with you that Lin is in a good position to find out how good he can be as a starter...he is, and his opportunity with the Nets will be a good opportunity to discover that (assuming they put reasonable teammates with him and the team buys in to team basketball). I'm just not agreeing that you can look at his stats starter vs, bench and draw any kind of better/worse conclusion...the situations/circumstances are just too different to do that.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Here's a stat, the number of LOF that are real rockets fans are 0.

9. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Here's a stat. Clutch left this Lin threads open to occupy your time here instead of polluting the GARM.

10. mikus

mikus Member

Here's another stat, the number of LOF that post in this thread is maybe 2(Lorenzomax and Yoeddy). And they're not even the LOF trolls from a few years ago(whom I'm not even totally convinced were real posters and not somebody's troll account). Is it really worth trolling as much as you do?

11. yoeddy

I am a LF, not a LOF. Followed the Rockets during the Yao years, too.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

HayesIsBack and colt45nyc are pure LOF.

I'm not trolling the chickens, I just want to see them fried and thrown in a bucket

13. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Dadidadidadidadida. ... Pretty much LinMac's only comebacks nowadays.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

HayesIsBack is not a Rockets fan

he's LOF

15. King1

King1 Contributing Member

They are trolling you bad.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

i know they are not rocket fans
    there's nothing wrong to remind people of that

because it's the truth

17. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

LinMac needs reinforcements. He has nothing new to say on this thread.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Hayesisback is the definition of LOF
    joins from china to a rockets site to defend Lin from criticism
    gets steaming buns mad when someone says anything about lin
    notice how he only responds emotionally to lin criticism
    never anything for the rockets or the city of houston

19. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

In case you havent been to the GARM, I post plenty there and start threads that get more traction than your pitiful threads.

And in case you havent noticed, not many posters are defending Le$, Murray, the hiring Mike Anthony, and the new brittle brothers we have to match last season's brick brothers. And last I checked, JB's favorite Corey no threes made in a month but still gets 25 minutes Brewer is still on the team.

But you're fine with all this. Just not ok with TMac and Lin.

SMH, this is what a 99er Rockets only fan has become

20. tinman

Supporting Member

HayesIsBack doesn't belong on Clutchfans, he belongs at Chick-fil-a