1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Live Sports Streaming Project

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by wfactor, Jul 12, 2016.

1. wfactor

wfactor Member

Hey guys, would love your feedback for what I'm working on.

I'm working on a project that aggregates sports streams in one app, so you never have to figure out how to stream a game when you're not in front of a TV.

All the streams are legal. If you don't have cable, there's a lot of content that's free. If you do have cable (or your parents have cable) you just have to enter your credentials one time and the app logs you into all streams.

Here's the link for anyone interested in trying it out. Not selling anything, it's free: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sportle-live-sports-streams/id1059500655?mt=8

Is this something that's useful for you? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So you are managing passwords for ppl, or using the activation code process that platforms like Apple TV use.

3. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

What computer language did you use to create this app?

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

This would be very useful for me.

5. wfactor

wfactor Member

The main proposition is that instead of having multiple apps and instead of having to search for which app the game is in, you now have one app with one experience that can stream it all.

Also, even though it's more useful to those who have cable, people who have cut the cord can find a ton of free games too, even from all the major leagues

6. heypartner

I'm asking about why you are asking people for their tv provider passwords. That's not a good idea.

It's better to use an activation code process (which has similar security benefits to single sign-on) when offering to stream games that require them.

I'm referring to the bolded part of you statement, below.

7. wfactor

wfactor Member

8. wfactor

wfactor Member

Agreed, that's a good process and we're considering it for the future. For now, we take every precaution to encrypt and protect user information.

Also, the user can choose to enter credentials for the benefit of SSO, or they can not enter anything and enter their credentials within the stream provider's app.

9. heypartner

What you are doing is 100% not necessary, to the point I don't know why you would do it.

Sorry, but I would tell anyone and everyone who would listen to NEVER EVER give your app or any other app a tv provider login. Do you realize that info provides access to their billing account information?

Don't mean to be harsh, but this is part of my job. I consider the fact you are even considering taking ppl's account information for their TV/Internet/Landline provider (they are packaged together often, nowadays, under one account) to be a major Red Flag that your app is trustworthy.

bottomline: The app's trustworthiness score took a huge hit by you defending/rationalizing taking ppl's billing account login credentials. That's what identity fraud ppl do. Not to say your app has nefarious intentions, but I would never want to be associated with an app that did this...either as developer or user.