1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Political Impact of the BLM Movement

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by El_Conquistador, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

People are capable of speaking different languages, prick; so you shouldn't be that incredulous that they employ different grammar or diction to mirror separate audiences.

Black professionals have to do it every day to accommodate jerks like you who don't think they're really black because they attended college.

2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

the political impact of the BLM movement is that people will become more entrenched in their beliefs. i dont think anyone is changing their vote due to the BLM movement.

im a white guy and i dont see what the problem is with people saying 'black lives matter'. they arent saying 'white lives dont matter'. the whole point of the movement is to point out that 'all lives matter' and when people use that counter-slogan they are missing the entire point.

1 person likes this.
  3. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I really don't think there will be much of any political impact. BLM doesn't have much of an agenda. They're just protesting what they perceive to widespread injustices in the justice and law enforcement systems. I think most BLM protesters are young and idealistic. Being young, I doubt the majority of them even vote, though I am sure SOME will be inspired to participate in this election, but it's not like Hillary Clinton inspires them when it comes to race relations and the justice system (considering it was Democrats under Tip O Neil that pushed for the minimum sentencing laws that put so many black men in prison).

CNN was discussing this last night actually. Compared to MLK's movement, the BLM seems more like a bunch of pissed off people than a movement that will make political change in the way that MLK did.

4. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I definitely think that people are taking hard line approaches. When white people are told they're racists because they don't think race is the single reason for police interactions with black people, they're not going to even consider a black person's point of view. On the other hand, black people aren't going to listen to a white person's point of view on these issues because to them it's incredibly personal.

5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Let's not delude ourselves into thinking that BLM rhetoric does not fire up the Democratic base nor have an impact with turning out the vote in November. Whether one agrees or disagrees with their tactics or rhetoric, most people, Democrats in particular, agree with the principle core beliefs of equality and justice.

This is what the TraderJ fears more than learning his favorite Triple, Venti, Half Sweet, Non-Fat, Caramel Macchiato is not available.

6. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

But does it fire up enough new voters? Young people are always protesting about something. I'm confident the older protesters will vote and probably already were. I'm sure this will encourage SOME new voters not to vote, but I just don't think it's going to drive a significant amount of new voters to Democrats.

Surprisingly, Trump seems to have had a bigger impact in terms of new voters. Which has lead to so much of the unpredictability of the Republican primaries this season.

And wtf is wrong with Caramel Macchiatos??!?!? I LITERALLY just walked back in to the office with one, haha.

7. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Yep. I was reading a biography of Lincoln and thinking the same thing. Dude would make these great and sophisticated arguments in court and then drop to frontier vernacular when telling stories or making public speeches. What a fake and a panderer that Abe Lincoln was.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Abe went as far as to tell voters in rural areas that were pro slavery, that he wouldn't take their slaves away.

Pandering is what a politican does.

Hell, all Trump does is pander.

9. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    First of all let me correct the record and say that I drink my coffee black -- no froufrou taste good stuff here. I start my day irritated and aggressive -- ready to dominate my adversaries.

Second, the point that you are not grasping, Rashon, is the backlash effect. Yes, the BLM rallies whip up blacks into a frenzy. It's unclear whether this leads to them voting or not, but it does whip them up and gets them in a political mindset. It's a classic wedge issue. The consequences of white backlash may not be accounted for in Barry's political calculation here. White and Hispanic people look at the ugly BLM protests and are really disgusted by them. These groups also support the police's efforts to maintain law and order. It is this anti-BLM, pro-police backlash that has the effect or whipping up the White/Hispanic voters -- who far outnumber the pro-BLM supporters -- and could drive voter turnout for the pro-law and order candidate, Donald J Trump.

1 person likes this.
  10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Great analysis. It's obvious Hispanics are just looking for a reason to vote Trump and now they have found it. Nobody can stand with those frenzied black people who are so easily manipulated. You paint a true picture: it's like they are wild-eyed animals caught up in emotion and not governed by reason and logic like the rest of us. Law and order worked for Nixon, so why not Trump? I truly hope Trump and Repubs continue to pursue with vigor this winning strategy.

11. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

This made me laugh. Reminds me of a convo I had with a colleague on what would happen if we talked in the office the way that we did away from work.

When keeping it real goes wrong.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Lol, yeah hispanics don't feel at all persecuted or singled out by police because of the color of their skin. If there is an objection for hispanics to make, it's that BLM doesn't recognize their kinship in this fight in their catchy slogan. But, maybe they have other worries, given the prospect the next president might want to tear their families apart with mass deportations.

13. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

[Educational Post]
    Hispanics prioritize this issue far less than blacks do, you know that Juan. I very rarely hear of Hispanics complaining about police treatment, and I almost never seen them at BLM protests. Mainly the BLM protests are blacks and extremely liberal whites who are there to atone for their inner struggle over their white privilege.

14. Exiled

Exiled Member

HoneyBear approve this post

15. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

[Educational Post]

I offer two quotes below from a great man, African American David Clarke. Now these quotes are tough, but real problems require real talk. So many Americans concur with Mr. Clarke's insights below, which is why I believe BLM carries a tremendously negative political burden for those who embrace the movement.

"Black lies matter is turning American ghettos into reservoirs of hate, and unleashing it on the American police officer"

"When there are no fathers around to shape a young black boy's behavior, he grows up an unsocialized misfit that cops have to deal with aggressively."

-Sheriff David Clarke

16. Granville

Granville Member

“I’m going to be talking to white people. I think we’re the ones who have to start listening to the legitimate cries that are coming from our African-American fellow citizens,”

Here's an example of Hillary listening to one of our African-American fellow citizens.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LqLfvQfuvsA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. Granville

Granville Member

And of course the potential First Man is all ears too.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9snRQ9VAnyo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah..... Hillary handled that about as well as anyone could.

She never said that about black people...... but that doesn't matter does it?

Also the 1994 Crime Bill was one of the best laws passed in the last 25 years.

19. Granville

Granville Member

Hillary didn't handle it the way she is proposing the rest of us do. I guess she gets to be the decider of what is or isn't a legitimate cry.

Agreed on the crime bill. But, there are BLM protesters who have "legitimate concerns" and Hillary is calling on white people to listen. Unless Bill doesn't count as a white dude.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Here's a 2013 paper on Latino distrust of police, with a focus on the fear of deportation discouraging interactions with police: https://www.policylink.org/sites/default/files/INSECURE_COMMUNITIES_REPORT_FINAL.PDF

This 2014 survey finds that over half of Latinos think LEO treat Latinos unfairly "sometimes" or "usually". And 2/3rds worry about excessive force from LEOs. I do agree that the priority might be a bit lower with hispanics, but it's only because immigrant status is a big issue - 61% of respondents personally know an undocumented immigrant and 33% know someone who faced deportation. The national response to the undocumented population is the other shoe to drop when it comes to race relations.