1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pokemon Go!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, Jul 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Slow down. Treat us like we are 4 yr olds.

What do you mean by "Beat". Is it a fight. What is involved in "Beating" someone. Is it merely you are stronger, thus win, or do any strategy or game skill involved.

How do you meet the Elite 4? Are those just tasks to do as you level up? How would real people help or hinder your ability to reach the Elite 4 to challenge them?

2. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Right now it's just catching Pokemon and using "Pokemon candies" and something called "stardust" to build up their combat power. You don't actually create your own gym. You have to go around and find one and actually be near it to battle the leader. The leader of course does not have to be present because he would have left his Pokemon to defend the gym. The battle for the challenger mainly consists of moving your Pokemon around to avoid hits and tapping on the opposing Pokemon to deliver hits and holding down your finger on the opposing Pokemon to land a special move.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm certainly tempted to hit up Discovery Green and Herman Park this weekend to see what kind of damage I can do, those places are popping from what I've heard.

4. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

Discovery Green last night. It's been lilke that for the past few days

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fpedro.hernandez.98284%2Fvideos%2F982767685183551%2F&width=500" width="500" height="141" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

In the original game, it was effectively an RPG. Each Pokemon had special maneuvers and elemental strengths and weaknesses. You attack, then they attack. When the Pokemon is out of HP you pick a new one until somebody is out.

6. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure I'll be there on Friday, but I also wanna walk around downtown and see what kind of pokemon they have out there.

1 thing I didn't know until yesterday was that you get pokecoins for taking a gym. It's 10 per day, but you can take multiple gyms and they stack up everyday. I took a gym from the blue team yesterday at a storage unit on hwy 6. Got 10 coins but my pokemon came back this morning, so I'm assuming someone beat me.

7. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Mind you this only applies to the handheld gameboy/3DS games.

By beat I just mean defeat the leader's Pokemon to where their health reaches 0. You get to battle the elite 4 once you've obtained every badge (typically 8) from the region the game takes place.

You can only train your Pokemon in the games so much before they stop obeying you. Each gym badge allows Pokemon up to a certain level obey you. Let's say you have 5 badges and let's say that only allows Pokemon up to level 35 obey you. If you try to train them above that they may disobey you during battle and cost you the match. So winning battles could rely on stretch but there is also strategy built in. Say you're facing a gym leader who specializes in fire types, you would then want to use water or rock type Pokemon (strong against fire types) against him. Using some moves in battle like "rain dance" will weaken fire attacks and strengthen water type moves.

So there is strategy involved it's not just train your Pokemon as much as you can and run through trainers.

Sorry for the block of texts.

8. heypartner

Oh, OK. That sounds like a little battle within a RTS Game using TCG collectables, whereby you don't have to stick around for your pokem to protect the gym/duel, but you probably have a better chance of winning the skirmish if you are there controlling the pokem.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I bought my kids the previous generation Pokemon games, primarily so I could play them, but haven't actually played them yet. I really enjoyed Pokemon Yellow/Blue as a kid. Actually asked for a Gameboy Color for Christmas just because I enjoyed playing a demo at Belk. Never played any of the future offerings. I thought they were too similar (irony coming from a huge Zelda fan) and hated the greatly expanding number of Pokemon. And lest we forget there were 152 (or apparently 153) once you include the very important MissingNo. How I enjoyed having unlimited Master Balls.

Do you now try to collect all 700+ Pokemon in the game?:eek:

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I wish I could have a Gym or Pokestop in my dental office...would be a nice way to bring people in. If they just want to use me for the game, and not for dental services, then they can pay me $5 to get in.

11. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I've been trying to catch all 700+ in the newer games for a while now. Takes a lot to breed, evolve etc. pretty difficult when you have real world responsibilities. The original blue/red/yellow games are actually available in the 3DS eshop if you're interested.

12. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

For the last couple of years I played some of the older versions on an emulator on my phone. MyBoy is the emulator and you can get lots of the older versions for free. I would get hooked for a month or so, then quit for a few months, then see it in my app list 1 day and start playing again, etc.

Pokemon Go is on a different tier, though. Never thought something like this would be possible.

13. mrm32

mrm32 Member

14. heypartner

I think I understand. thx.

My understanding wouldn't call it RPG, though. Rather more like a TCG battle like Magic, but digital...especially since you takes turns and use different "cards/pokemon" with different abilities. Is that correct? Isn't there a gaming term for that subgenre for turn-based battles where you bring "cards" into play?

Sorry for all the questions.

15. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Counting down to lunch hour.

16. rezdawg

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Starbucks has it by me, which has to be great for them. There is also a Growler/Beer Garden that has one (Plus a Barbertitos with full bar and McDonalds within range). There are a few restaurants with them (Put in a fountain, and they will come). Those kinds of places have to love them. I'd be putting Lures at those spots all the time.

Department stores and malls would probably be happy to sponsor. Unfortunately as a CPA firm, I don't have much need for one, but I still wish I had one. If the Park they are building next to my office had been built a couple years ago, I'd bet there would be a stop there and Pokemon closer to my office.

18. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/embed/96354" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Van Halen update of old song:

"I want some...Pokemon too! Oh yea...everybody wants some...pikachu...yea!"

20. rezdawg

During my lunch break, I logged on and it said that I had a few of them around me...I walked around the entire massive parking lot, did about 15-20 minutes of walking...and didnt find any pokemon. Is there something I need to specifically do or are they supposed to just pop up on my screen?

Also, how do I assure that the game is using my downloaded Google map instead of using my data?