1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden signs extension with Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by clutch citizen, Jul 9, 2016.

?

Are you happy with Harden's contract extension?

1. Yes - Harden is the franchise player.

410 vote(s)
    91.5%
  2. No - This messes up our cap situation.

38 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

There aren't too many larger markets.
    By the time his next contract runs out, Houston could be the 3rd largest city
    :eek:

2. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Not necessarily a superstar, but can't we just match salaries to make a trade for an upgrade?

3. Dream lover

Dream lover Member

Harden was taking advantage of the new cap, plus he can get the 10 yr percentage. For Houston, they invested Harden as the face of the franchise good or bad, he is their guy.

4. nnayak

nnayak Member

It's how it sets up his next contract. Makes him much more likely to stay.

5. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

If we sign or trade for all stars this will make sense. Definite FA and trade destination for anyone wanting to play with Harden. He will be here for 3 years at least.

6. malakas

malakas Member

TWO?

Next season we will have best case 10 million dollars capspace with teh projected cap.
    If we pay DMO around 10 per we will have zero.

Forget two. We will be hardpressed to payone of them if we keep DMO.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Same here. I didn't really think Harden wanted to leave. So I guess the "commitment" people are raving about isn't hitting me the same way. I hope he is equally "committed" to playing on the MVP level as he is "committed" to the Rockets. I think the signing says more about the Rockets' commitment to Harden than Harden's commitment to the Rockets.

8. Caesar

Caesar Member

Why are you guys talking about Westbrook and other superstars? We have like no money left next year. What? 10 mil? That's b4 DMO has signed still. That can't even get you a backup player anymore.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Then WTF RU doing here?

10. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Yes KD wanted to play with Curry, Thompson, Green and Iggy, but it doesn't happen without Curry making $12 mil. My understanding is that Curry had a chance to renegotiate but chose not to for the team. Otherwise GSW has to dump Iggy and/or Livingston.

11. RESINator

RESINator Member

No way we can sign any of them. We need to get rid of a bunch of contracts to even entertain that possibility.

12. bandwagon

bandwagon Member

Smart move by Daryl Morey.

It guarantees Harden will be in Houston for at least 3 years. It also prevents rumors and innuendo from sabotaging this season (e.g. Harden trade rumors).

13. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Great news! And lest we forget, if not for a few things here and there, it's very possible that Phoenix could have won a championship with D'Antoni as head coach, just like Adelman could have won one while at Sacramento. You do not have to have a great coach to win a championship- unless you're going to call KC Jones, Erik Spoelstra, and Ty Lue great coaches (not that you can't, but many out there wouldn't). I think you have to have a reasonably good coach- and certainly D'Antoni fits in that category.

Now, it's just a matter of getting the right players to complement Harden. I never count this team out.

14. TheresTheDagger

How appropriate for James. :D

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rockets finished deal with Harden last night in Las Vegas. Daryl Morey, agent Rob Pelinka sat alone in Thomas &amp; Mack during late game.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/751877826446368768">July 9, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Why can't Houston just trade him, Ariza, Bev or Brewer to clear cap space? I think you just dislike the player, you been pretty vehement against re-signing him in other threads.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'd think the same thing but Morey is a master at clearing space. All he needs to know is that those guys will be there and then it becomes a lot easier to do it.

The Rockets do not do this unless they have plans to bring other star players here. Even in that press conference Morey mentioned still going after FAs in the future.

17. Caesar

Caesar Member

"why can't morey just pull **** out of his ass and trade everyone for free cap space"

Sorry man. He couldn't even trade up in the draft and he couldn't trade any of our current players for anything. Guys act like it's so easy for Morey to get teams to eat their cap for Corey Brewer who Morey himself just signed to a fresh contract last summer. Morey isn't god. Were stuck in mediocrity. But, hey maybe we can trade for guys like Rudy Gay and Ricky Rubio to maybe help us win 1 game instead of a sweep.

1 person likes this.
  18. malakas

malakas Member

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I dislike DMO? Why? Because I don't join the DMO is our saviour squad?
    How ridiculous.

You are proposing clearing 30 million in salary to sign a star. Tell me one team that will just forgone its own fa chase to get 4 contracts. And it will have to be multiple teams.

I said imo it makes less likely to sign DMO now and I gave the reasons.
    But yeah "i'm biased".:rolleyes:

19. JHL85

JHL85 Member

So basically, Harden was already contracted through 2017-18 season under his original contract even before the extension. After the extension, he now gets a sizable raise for both 2016-17 and 2017-18 and just one more year 2018-19 is guaranteed (2019-20 is player option). I really like Harden and glad that he is staying one more year... but it seems like this deal is being perceived better than it actually is by being referred to as a "4-year extension."

Pretty much he still had 2 years left under his contract, and he re-did his contract for 3 years + 1 year player option.

20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Well take that clutchfan pessimists.

Harden definitely gone in 2020!