1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dallas cops shot during protest in Dallas.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketsLegend, Jul 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Buck Turgidson

As best I can tell, he was an Army Reservist in an Engineering Batallion. Not diminishing anyone's service in any way, and I have no idea when/where exactly he was deployed in Afghanistan and what he experienced, but he wasn't an infantryman kicking in doors.

1 person likes this.
  2. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

<blockquote class="twitter-video" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;No candidate has stood behind and beside the American law enforcement officer like <a href="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump">@realDonaldTrump</a>&quot; <a href="https://twitter.com/SheriffClarke">@SheriffClarke</a> <a href="https://t.co/ZEtPErh76w">https://t.co/ZEtPErh76w</a></p>&mdash; TRUMP WORLD (@Trump_World) <a href="https://twitter.com/Trump_World/status/751399383992823808">July 8, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.
  3. ipaman

ipaman Member

this was exactly my situation growing up. if i kept a +/- experience metric from all my interactions of LEOs in my lifetime the current level net experience would be negative and holding steady.

4. HamJam

HamJam Member

I am not playing the victim at all. I just read history, pay attention, and have a different opinion on what would benefit me, my family and my community than you do.

I urge you to actually use reason with people instead of strawmanning them into something you can dismiss.

1 person likes this.
  5. tochiee22

tochiee22 Member

Need to get a hold of some ar-15s before it's too late.
    All the news already talking about banning assault rifles
    and having more fun control.. Big changes are coming

6. tochiee22

tochiee22 Member

Need to get a hold of some ar-15s before it's too late.
    All the news already talking about banning assault rifles
    and having more fun control.. Big changes are coming

7. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

I see the hypocrite Dan Patrick is at the DT prayer service. Always looking for a photo op... :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  8. ipaman

ipaman Member

so silly, no one needed need an ar-15 before a possible ban and no one will need one after.

9. HamJam

HamJam Member

Yeah, people who think those that are opposed to police are irresponsible just had a different experience from us. Good for them and all, but just because their interests and experiences are different than ours, that doesn't make our subsequent opinions infantile.

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

How does a negative experience with LEO and not wanting to be involved with them or have them in your community affect his ability to provide himself with an education and a decent career? DO you think his entire life is centered around that statement he made?

Please elaborate. Need some of that premium content.

11. Nook

Nook Member

The world we live in is bizarre.

First, neither Cyril or King are not members of the leadership of BLM. So the media didn't even bother characterizing who these two people are.

Second, Shaun King is the man that claimed the be black, and to have been discriminated for being black, and then it turns out that both his parents are white. Just odd........ not to mention that the BLM has distanced themselves from King for his handling of funds.

I have met Malkia Cyril once in Oakland and another time in Brooklyn. While I don't agree with her on 100% of her views, I do think that she is a peaceful and good person that genuinely wants a better world.

12. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

So you're saying you have had bad experiences with some police men, which leads you to have a negative connotation with police men? All police?

What if I told you that I've been bullied by black boys while in school, and even jumped by 4 or 5 while walking home less than a block from my house with my brother? In college I've had some threaten me while I was walking to my car (2 on 1 scenario here). Had things stolen from me. Would that then give me the right to have a negative connotation to all black people because I've had a lot of negative encounters with some?

Time to stop labeling any type of person. I'm sure you could meet some great police, just like I've met great people of all races.

Why is it OK to label all cops, but you're a trump supporter if you're nervous about radical islam? My goodness, you can't talk out both sides of your mouth.

1 person likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

2 people like this.
  14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

I support the aims of BLM and think their leaders have the right agenda.

I disagree with how they proceed with that agenda, and was very critical of the minnesota protest last year with that stupid chant. I agree that rhetoric is important. What you say does matter as people follow. People on both sides of this have used virulent language that has escalated the situation.

Labeling BLM as a hate group or whatnot - not only is it not true - it's stereotyping.

The few idiots who speak about violence against cops do not represent the wider movement.

The few idiot cops who are biased and treat blacks wrongly do not represent all cops.

People need to get this.

1 person likes this.
  15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Remember how quickly BLM was blamed for Goforth's murder? Dallas's PD AFAIK hasn't jump to any conclusion and has stated there is not enough info to do so. Some folks here and elsewhere are placing blame again toward BLM. BLM is just an easy target even though they have repeatedly condemn any violence. I'm sure BLM has attracted media attention and some members have done things that show an ugly side, but this type of generalization isn't at all helpful and continue to expand the 'gap' in understanding and anger toward each others.

16. HamJam

HamJam Member

Fine, stay in your safe space. Perhaps if you looked at sources that weren't espoused by your own ideological bubble, then you'd be advocating more militant action as well.

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

I love how the same right wingers who use the excuse "the second amendment empowers the the citizen to fight government tyranny" are the same ones who ****ted on the Black Panthers movement. I know it's entirely subjective whether institutionalized racism and tyranny agaisnt black people exist today but for sure, most conservatives here at least believe that for 400 years, blacks were experiencing a tyrannical system. So why are white conservatives who tout the "Second amendment is for the defense agaisnt tyranny" **** on the Black Panthers back in the 60s who expressed their second amendment rights?

Now, don't twist my words. My point of the statement above is that I believe the argument "the second amendment is for defense agaisnt tyrannical government" is silly and partially racist seeing as most white conservatives perceive the right as something reserved for themselves but not when minorities experience 'tyranny'. 'Tyranny' is subjective. Thus, any swinging dick with a deranged mentality can make a justification to go around and shooting innocent cops because of perceived tyranny.

18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

Educate yourself with the facts, and stop with your racial pity party

19. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Actually, there seems to have been a lot of change, in many places. Community outreach, better training for police, revamped policies, etc. Which isn't to say everything is peaches and roses now, but certainly a lot of progress. Certain areas, like Ferguson, definitely seem to have lagged on this, but change isn't going to happen overnight, or universally everywhere all at the same time.

So, while I agree there is a history and a reason, and more progress definitely needs to be made... but to say there has been no tangible change is, I think, simply false.

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

What a dumbass. Ya....a bigot who has offended every minority in this country is going change things. He is. TOKEN...that why he is on Fox News.