1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Theory: Defense was so bad last season specifically b/c of Dwight and his impact on others.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 4, 2016.

1. bmd

bmd Member

Dwight himself has admitted that he did not give effort in a passive-aggressive attempt to protest not getting more post touches.

It was obvious to me watching on TV when he wasn't giving effort on defense and not fighting for rebounds. In person, it should be blatantly obvious.

Not only does this in itself hurt the team, but his teammates see this effort and guys like Trevor Ariza think to themselves "why would I bust my ass out here to lock down someone when the defensive anchor isn't even trying? F that".

Dwight's lack of effort would lead to other players not giving their full effort either. Think about it... if you were playing, why would you bust your ass when you know your anchor on defense is sandbagging? Explains why the transition defense was so bad when it was so good the year before... nobody is going to bust their ass to get back when their star big man is being lazy.

The coach would not be allowed to bench their $20 million dollar star player. James Harden might have said "F it... if nobody is trying on defense, then neither am I and I'm just going to pad my stats on offense. F this."

Dwight's sandbagging led to the breakdown of the entire team on both sides of the ball. Poor defense on one end, and one dimensional offense on the other.

2. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Uh, watch the games.

Lack of prep, strategy, and overall effort. Dwight was okay at best, Harden deserves the blame here.

3. bmd

bmd Member

This was my point. Dwight sandbagging led to the entire team not giving effort, and led to Harden playing hero ball on the other end.

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

part of the defensive problems was definitely the coaching staff's insistence on our bigs rushing the perimeter on switches, which left our interior hollow possession after possession, game after game, month after month

5. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Sorry, but this makes no sense...

T_Man

6. 9495

9495 Member

Then give him touches... Oops too late now.

7. chandlerbang21

I'm sorry but James Harden showed a lot less effort with Matador defense. He set the bad example for the perimeter players considering he was supposed to be the leader of team. Dwight was frustrated yes and defensively he was not getting blown past on the perimeter repeatedly. He always had to leave the man he was guarding to help on defense when ariza and Harden couldn't keep up with their guys. You guys will see just how bad it will be this upcoming season without him attempting to block every shot around the paint

8. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I can see where Dwights lack of interest on the court rubbed off on the team. Bottom line Howard is mentally soft.

9. bmd

bmd Member

How does it not make sense? Dwight's sandbagging led to other players not giving effort as well.

What's hard about that?

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Dwight was absolutely a negative, he admitted that so there's not even a reason to doubt that.

But honestly James was also utter **** in the first two months, i mean, really really bad.

11. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

When players are already at the rim before Dwight has a chance to react...it screams that these "perimeter" defenders are NOT doing their job. And when Howard did go to challenge shots, a simple weakside rotation couldve made a difference. The Rockets were terrible at it.

Dwight had his issues and yes...he isnt the same defensive beast. But the Rockets as a whole stunk on defense. Players like Ariza and Bev are thought to be "defensive" stoppers. They had poor seasons defending.

The Rockets wasted Dwight during the time he here. They failed to integrate him into the offense and relied too much on chucking shots from distance...especially by POOR 3 point shooters. Wish Dwight the best...I too expect a decent season for Dwight in Atlanta.

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I'm not s Dwight fan, and no doubt he mailed it in for most of last year. I'm glad he's gone. But folks are not seeing the full picture if they think we aren't gonna sorely miss his rim protection, defense and rebounding. Capela has some upside and I'm excited to see if he can take a big step forward this year with a lot of opportunity, but we are definitely worse off without the presence of Dwight in front of the rim. We need to replace that production, and it cant just be by getting more scoring. Well maybe it can? We'll see what happens with the Pringles experiment. I'm skeptical that you can contend, or even be one of the top teams without defending. This Bezdek guy isn't a miracle worker.

If folks contend that dwights lack of effort and frustration caused the team to suck defensively, I'd say maybe it negatively impacted the team, but seems like a convenient scapegoat

#12 Aruba77, Jul 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  13. bmd

bmd Member

Did y'all even read my post?

My point is that Dwight's sandbagging led to players like Ariza, who is a very capable stopper, to not give the same effort as the year before.

14. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

If the Rockets do better defensively this season than last, would it change MDA's rep for being offense only?

15. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

So many factors contributed to a weak D last year. The most overlooked though was the fact that this team couldn't hit a basket. I could not count how many times a Rocket would clank a shot off the rim that would lead to a fast break layup! For the love of God having some shooters (Rhyno, Gordon) is going to do wonders for this team defensively.

16. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Yes I did...and I argued..that the wings regressed mightly. The defensive scheme was $hit(we switched incessantly whether it was needed or not), failed to block out, AND rotations were ALWAYS late.

Dwight didnt have a great season...BUT that includes every other guy on the team...

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think the reality is that James didn't care at the beginning of the season, that led other players to not care.

Pretty much when James started to play better, Dwight started to have his problems and quitted on the team leading others players to not care.

18. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

its been said a million times, the whole team fkd up. they came into the season in a funk and never got out of it. even if dwight gave his all, they wouldnt be much better. he'd be out of position most of the time having to help so daam much, just like ariza.

unbelievable after all this time rockets fans still blame dwight the most.

19. bmd

bmd Member

Getting back on defense in trasition is simply about effort. Dwight's sandbagging led to the entire team to not give the same effort on defense.

So they didn't bother to bust their ass to get back in transition. The year before, the Rockets were one of the best transition defensive teams in the league.

20. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

It was a nightmare! I'm going to say part of it was defensive coaching. Other times I feel like we didint have enough players that could create their own shot or make a basket. I feel like that sort of sucked the wind out of the players.

I think Howard noticed that and tried to take matters in to his own hands by requesting more touches, it's just that when he tried it looked bad. Over all I don't blame Howard for the problem.