1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Center position - options

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ilias, Jul 3, 2016.

1. malakas

malakas Member

damn missed on probably the best C still remaining.

2. lionaire

lionaire Member

3. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Who would that be?

4. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Wonder what it would take dollar wise to get into the Gasol chase?

5. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

The Wolves have Towns (3yrs), Dieng(1yr, 2.3M), Pekovic(1 yr, 12M),and now Aldrich (3yr) at Center.

I think it's certain that they will trade Dieng.
    They want to trade Rubio too.

Rubio and Dieng for Brewer/Ariza and Bev. Salary matches. A deal waiting to happen?

(much rather have Noel btw)

6. photojoe

photojoe Member

Even though I haven't really been a fan of Rubio's, if we could get him and Dieng for Brewer and Beg I would do that in a second. I would be reluctant if it was Ariza instead of Brewer but would probably still do it

Don't think Minnesota would do the deal either way.

7. malakas

malakas Member

Cole Adriche. Since I dont' think Pau is a real Center but a pf who only had to play C because he cant' move his feet anymore.

Pek is off the books in a few months. Don't count him.

But they may trade Dieng. Not because he won't find pt but more because someone is going to overpay for him in 12 months and they got to save their $ for their core.

8. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

DMo and Ryan Anderson's total rebounding rate are both ~11%.
    I don't think a winning team can play two subpar rebounding big men.

Capela was 18.5%! It's obvious that he's our current best bet, but I think he can only play ~26-28mpg next year.

Howard was 20% last year. (Tristan Thompson was 18.4% and that was considered to be elite.)

We need a rebounding+rim protecting+screen setting+pick-and-roll beast who hopefully can shoot free throws, but we can only find these centers (on much better contracts) via trade anyway. The question is whether some combination of Bev, Ariza, Brewer, McDaniels, Harrell, Dekker, Beasley, and maybe picks is enough to get a deal done.

Noel was an average rebounder at 15% last year and Dieng was a career 16%.

If I were the GM I would trade anyone except Harden & Capela for Noel because he's only going to get better and better.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Yep we need to be talking to Philly about Noel; Orlando about Vucivic; we need to be talking to Pau about a 1 or 2yr deal

10. malakas

malakas Member

hey you know who is a good rebounder? Monroe.
    If D'antoni trades for him lmao

11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I like Capela and chinanu as great bets to be above average centers in the near future . Capela is definitely going be serviceable this season . I don't like the idea of Dmo playing too much center , but maybe against backups he is going to be ok . I like Jordan hill and he is definitely a decent backup guy .

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Just play Anderson at the center, him failing to guard a center isn't any worse than him failing to guard a PF.

13. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

Looked Monroe up. He is a good rebounder. Maybe Capela and Ariza/Brewer could get it done.
    But do they want to start Henson as their C?

14. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

also Monroe will be a one year rental. He'll opt out next year.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

When looking at centers, lets remember who the Rockets head coach is. D'Antoni is not gonna play some offensively challenged big slow dude just get some rebounds.

The kind of guy D'Antnoni would play at C are the likes of Amare, David Lee and Tyson Chandler. Chandler doesn't have the shot creating skills the other two had, but he was a great finisher.

16. AlisonWondrland

I know most people would hate it but why not bring back Jordan Hill? He fits MDA and he played his best ball when MDA was his coach

17. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

Good point. They have to be able to run and set picks too. However, Amare was a good enough rebounder, David Lee was a great defensive rebounder, and Chandler was an elite rebounder. I do not believe a poor rebounding team can win much.

Only Capela qualifies as a good rebounder in the current roster.

18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Add Noel to that list.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agreed. Trade in that order. Another option is Orlando's Aaron Gordon. As for signing a FA, why not swing for the fences and get Larry Sanders.

20. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Wish we had a shot at Gasol