1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Center position - options

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ilias, Jul 3, 2016.

1. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

no link necessare. if jimmyv says it, it must be true!

2. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

I think if Dmo stays it should be

Anderson/Beasley/Harrell
    Capella/Dmo/chinanu or whatever

3. mightybosstone

You got me excited with Dieng, thinking he was a free agent. But I'm fairly certain he's not until next season, and even then, I think he's restricted. I actually think Pachulia is one of the best fits that you mentioned, as he's a solid defender and rebounder. He's also a very underrated passer and can actually hit a free throw at a competent rate.

I wouldn't mind Ezeli either even after he crapped the bed in the finals. But I think they need another defensive 5 on the roster, and some of the guys mentioned on this list (Gasol, Vujavic, etc.) don't really fit the bill.

4. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

I like Kyle O'Quinn from the Knicks. I think he could be a solid backup under D'antoni and his contract would be a bargain in this new cap era

5. malakas

malakas Member

well it may be true since Amir Johnson has come through in the past. He certainly isn't some kind of unknown nobody out of the blue poster.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

DMo not a great fit? He is a low post scorer, he is a terrific fit with Anderson.

DD

7. ilias

ilias Member

Yes. The fact that he is not a defensive expert does not mean it is not a priority for him. He has been in the game his whole life, let's not underestimate his intelligence. I think the idea that he only cares about offense is a simplistic caricature for fans and sports writers. Like any coach he cares about winning.

He had lots of good defensive bigs with the Suns and Lakers. His SSOL Suns teams started 3 players 6'9'' or higher. He signed Hill and Milicic to play next to D. Lee in his second year with the Knicks, both better in defense than offense. He has tried to surround himself with assistants coaches with a defense focus.

8. mightybosstone

Offensively yes. But he's a terrible rebounder and a sub-par low post defender. They would get killed on the glass and in the paint.

9. basketballholic

Noel, not Okafor, is the ideal fit at center for an MDA coached team.

And Chicago had wanted Bev for a long time.

Vucevic is another Ryan Anderson. He can shoot and board. But he's not a paint and rim protector.

Boban has great length and half court skills. But we don't want to pay half court. We want to scramble as much as possible.

Highly skilled offensive interior player who can step out for 3. Can't run. A liability in a fast game.

We need to trade for Noel. And then sign a cheap backup like Cole Aldrich or trade for Taj as a backup. Noel and either Taj or Aldrich would be a great center combo on an MDA team.

10. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

I got trolled by another member...sorry DMO still here.

11. Eric00009

Eric00009 Member

12. ilias

ilias Member

My mistake, I thought Dieng was restricted this year, but he is signed till next season. I do like Pachulia a lot. He has a decent post-game as well. I prefer Miles Plumlee for his athleticism and rim protection, but I would be happy with either. Ezeli is more of a risk given the size of the contract, but he is probably the best available win-now signing.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah, that is why Capela starts, and DMo and Anderson only see time together for about 8-10 mpg.

DD

14. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Figure out a way to trade for Love.

15. ilias

ilias Member

Would work great on offense, but it would be a wreck on defense and rebounding. I liked DMo next to Howard as a PF and next to Josh Smith as a C. I am happy with him to play next to Capela. The DMo/T Jones pair was a disaster defensively and I think the DMo/Anderson pairing would be similarly bad. Unplayable in the West. Teams like Spurs, OKC, Warriors would get offensive rebound after offensive rebound.

DMo is an average defender with decent lateral movement and positional defense. Pair him with a good defender/rebounder like Howard or Josh Smith and you get a good defense. Pair him with a below average defender/rebounder like T Jones or Anderson and you get a bad defense.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Cole Aldrich has landed a three-year, $22 million deal with the Timberwolves, league sources say</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/749651187570397184">July 3, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I agree with this. DMo is the best Low Post player on the team. Offensively speaking DMo fits exceptionally well with Anderson.

DMo can handle the rock in the post while Ryan stretches the defense with his perimeter games. Or both DMo and Anderson can stretch the Defense and open the lane for James. This is actually a great fit in my opinion.

18. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I know that having DMO and Anderson platoon at the 5-4 spot sounds really romantic, but who's going to rebound the ball?

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

That Cole Aldrich deal seems like a good move by the Wolves, putting him behind KAT.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's no need for rebounds when You can put Anderson, Harden, and Gordon on the court together and ensure every shot by the other team goes in. Rebounding can't be a problem if there's no rebounds to get.