1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Al Horford meeting with Rockets on Friday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Jun 30, 2016.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

First-rate ballet (top 5 in U.S.), opera, symphony, and museums.

Yes, we have all that. Do we have a team where he wants to play? Do we want him? Questions I cannot answer.

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

3. amaru

amaru Member

I never saw Hortford seriously coming here anyway. The teams out East have comparable talent and a much easier path to the Finals.

4. opticon

opticon Member

I dont know how much easier. For the last 5 years straight, which is a pretty long time in sports. If Lebron was not on your team you did not go to finals in the east.

In the west 3 different teams have went to the finals in that same period of time. The last time that a east team has one the finals that did not have Lebron James on it was 2008.

That was 8 YEARS ago.

Nothing sounds easy about that to me.

5. craguin

craguin Member

Popovich or Thibodeau (& Rubio) > MDA / Rockets...

Lakers News: Pau Gasol Writes About His Future, D’Antoni On His Blog

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yeah all that goes out the window if we offer Pau his full max for one year.

What exactly is Gasol's max? I know its at least 31 million. That would have to he really hard to turn down, and I think we win 50 games with a Gasol addition + shored up depth.

I think the major issue with Gasol in MDA's system was the he was playing PF which is traditionally a small ball, high volume shooting type of player. I would imagine Gasol would thrive at the center position in the system.

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Per NBA league source, Hawks have upped their offer to Al Horford &amp; added a 5th yr. Not 5-yr Max though</p>&mdash; Zach Klein (@ZachKleinWSB) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZachKleinWSB/status/749303192240975872">July 2, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. malakas

malakas Member

don't you find it strange that nothing is heard about Mahinmi?
    Instead of going after Pau and Al Horford and Rhyno we should go after him.
    Bird is cheap and senile. We have a chance.

10. malakas

malakas Member

He doesn't care about $. He cares about culture and organisation. But more about culture.

Also right now he can only play Center.

11. craguin

craguin Member

Perhaps. He's made $167.5M over his career, however, playing for $7.1M and $7.5M with the Bulls the past two seasons, so I don't think it's about the money for him.

I agree that he could thrive as the starting 5 here though.

12. chandlerbang21

He is an average center a tier below other guys. Wont hear much about him until Horford/ Durant/Anderson are off the board

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Plenty of teams "interested" in Mahinmi

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Washington, San Antonio and Minnesota in the mix for C Ian Mahinmi, who won’t return to Indy next year after Pacers’ deal w/Al Jefferson.</p>&mdash; David Aldridge (@daldridgetnt) <a href="https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/status/749038526738685952">July 2, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Charlotte, Dallas, Portland and Orlando also working on Mahinmi.</p>&mdash; David Aldridge (@daldridgetnt) <a href="https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/status/749038889516437504">July 2, 2016</a></blockquote>

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We can say its not about money, but I think if we offered him a one year max it would make him give us real considerstion.

He's also won rings already, so it's not like he NEEDS a ring either.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Vertical Sources: Hawks still shopping Paul Millsap now, working contingencies should Horford want to stay. Sides still apart on contract.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojVerticalNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/749306742132076544">July 2, 2016</a></blockquote>

16. malakas

malakas Member

Fat Al and Mozgod who have been two tiers bellow Mahinmi this year already got paid. He hasn't signed yet which imo gives us good chances.

and excuse me but what Charlotte is doing involved in all this discussions with Centers? Theydont' have capspace.
    But he doesn't care about that.
    his priorities are a) have good culture so he can go see things b) guaranteed to be a starter c) possibility of rings.

He doesn't want now to go to the Spurs becasue San Antonio doesn't have good culture and things to do.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rQUOTEr]As The Vertical first reported, the Washington Wizards and Boston Celtics have indeed taken a healthy lead in the Al Horford sweepstakes. A decision is likely by day’s end, a person with knowledge of his situation confirmed to USA TODAY Sports. The Houston Rockets, Oklahoma City Thunder and the incumbent Atlanta Hawks have also been in the running. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the private nature of the process.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport.../?hootPostID=750a8e3fd421102bbadf2462a4393023[/rQUOTEr]

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Detroit was the mystery team that made Al Horford's short list of visits, sources say, but he looks lasered in now on Celtics/Wizards/Hawks</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/749307576429318144">July 2, 2016</a></blockquote>

18. malakas

malakas Member

lol. The Celtics are going after Millsap too. They want to take the Hawks Frontcourt completely.

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Signing Dwight so you can trade Millsap to keep Horford is certifiably stupid

20. chandlerbang21

Hmmm i can see the spurs taking him. They desperately need a active rim protector that hustles and rebounds. Charlotte seems like the most logical place with the loss of Jefferson