1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has this years ridiculous Free Agency made anyone else kind of sick of the NBA?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LonghornFan, Jul 2, 2016.

1. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

exactly, the increased salaries are directly related to the fact that people are more interested. the league can't just increase the cap out of nowhere.

to a large degree it is, but this offseason is an outlier. in theory, if the cap went up by the same amount as the typical raises in player contracts, then a certain dollar value of players would become free agents each offseason and then teams would spend about that same dollar figure to sign all of those players and everybody's contract would go up the same amount as the cap went up. when the cap goes up faster than the raises, you get slightly more dollars to chase the free agents.

well this offseason, the cap jumped about $24M, or 35%. and existing contract raises are limited to only 7.5%. so now the available free agents don't just get a 35% raises, they get way, way more than a 35% raise. next offseason will see a big increase in the cap, but not quite as crazy, so it's possible that even though the cap will be higher, the actual money available to free agents won't be as great. players could actually make less with a higher cap. and the offseason after that might actually see a drop in the cap. those players might find that everybody has already spent all of their money these 2 offseasons and will be scrambling to find cap room to pay them.

2 people like this.
  2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Where did I post anything about hate? Post less.

3. LonghornFan

Excellent post that actually makes sense and helps me understand a bit more. I rarely start threads but this is the kind of info I was seeking.

Rep to you sir.

4. sew

sew Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">People seem really upset that the athletes that make the sport worth watching are getting the money, instead of the owners keeping it</p>&mdash; David Steele (@David_C_Steele) <a href="https://twitter.com/David_C_Steele/status/749030729313558529">July 2, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. J Hard

J Hard Member

Why? Because Black men are rightfully getting paid?

What im sick of id the nba being predominately black driving in the 100s of millions of dollars annually for these old white owners.

Im sick of the everything being predominantly white surrounding the BLACK players who drive this multi billion dollar industry off the backs of Black men. Sounds faimiliar doesnt it?

White ppl pimp these Black athletes from the ownership to the media and the players more than ehat they make.

Im sick of Black ppl being the source for everyghing but white supremacy capitalizing off it instead of the pioneers.

You dumb troll have no idea what youre talking about.

6. francis 4 prez

that's because the players wouldn't agree to smooth the cap increases out across more years. they're letting all of the current FA's be rewarded at the expense of all the players under contract. i don't know why they wanted that, but apparently they did.

it's not that it's watered down. it's that there is a normal free agent class being chased by a huge amount of money that is literally required to be spent (to reach the floor). it's something of a one-off event (or two-off with next offseason).

i would actually argue the opposite (ignoring the fact that every athlete in history has cared about money). i don't know why players are always trying to get every last buck, even if they have to play for a crappy team, but it actually helps distribute the talent. if everybody just cared about winning and would play on minimum contracts, you'd just end up with 2 or 3 teams winning 75 games and everybody else being terrible.

7. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Never disrespect ISOBall

8. LonghornFan

Parsons, Turner and Clarkson...so worth watching. Totally.

9. LonghornFan

Just, wow. Holy ****. You lift bro?

10. LonghornFan

Sorry bruh. I'm new here.

11. francis 4 prez

i'm sure some subset of the population doesn't like seeing black guys make a lot of money, but sports is pretty clearly not white plantation owners pimping out black slaves for money. these leagues used to be all-white, and yet the same dynamic between and owners and players has always existed. players draw the fans and want to be paid. owners risk the capital and want to be paid. each side gets what they can.

12. hlcc

hlcc Member

if i'm not mistaken, there's no real penalty for not reaching the salary floor. if the team is below the floor, they just have to pay the difference for that year, that sounds to me like a better alternative than overpaying and end up with a bad multi-year contract.

1 person likes this.
  13. hvic

hvic Member

Before this offseason, no NBA player had ever signed a $100M contract without making an All-Star team except these lucky ducks-Mike Conley, Beal and batum

1 person likes this.
  14. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

If the NBA is this profitable then lower ticket prices. Maybe beer prices shouldn't be $9? The NBA is obviously doing very well. Why not give back to the consumer? Without the consumer the NBA wouldn't exist.

15. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Bazemore, Howard are really the best deals for value I've seen. Hawks are really the only one active spender with some sense of responsible cap management.

16. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

The more money, the more corruption.

17. nono

nono Member

NBA also benefits from having smaller teams. Football has 11 men teams (squad is 25 players) so they can't afford to give average guys 15m a year because the wage bill would balloon. The top tier talent in soccer makes about the same as mid tier talent in basketball.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

No it makes me happy the players are getting paid. You're gonna be real sick next year OP.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

You're worse than the OP. **** off racist.

20. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Sports fans will always side with ownership. It's astonishing how in lockstep they are, every time out.

Speaking as someone who was posting here during the 1998 lockout, it's embarrassing.