1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

You might not like it

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HTOWNTAKEOVER, Jun 30, 2016.

1. hakeemthagreat

Put it this way. Everybody is overpaying to acquire top level talent this offseason. We can continue to be cheap and risk losing our star player in 2 years, or we can jump on the bandwagon and open up the checkbook. It's like going to strip club with multi millionaires and wondering why the girls ain't paying you any attention. You gotta pay to play this offseason

2. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

My guess is that in two years, they'll be paying Harden the max. Morey has to know that they will likely strike out in FA so he's waiting for the gold rush to end and start making trades. We'll just have to wait and see how this all shakes out. It's going to be a bumpy ride.

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Not if we're mired in mediocrity for years. I don't want a repeat of the Francis era. Les never did a proper rebuild back then and it left us in a mess til we lucked into T-Mac. And even then, those awful contracts handed out earlier made it difficult to surround him and Yao with decent role players.

4. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

They never did a rebuild. They just kept trying to be the 8 seed for years and got lucky.

5. photojoe

photojoe Member

There are a couple of key differences between now and then.

1- contracts are shorter. A lot of guys are getting contracts for maybe 2 or 3 years, and that last year is either a player or team option. Maybe even a 1 year contract with an option on the 2nd year. At the worst, a contract we would give to a free agent that isn't ours would be 4 years. Even though the amount of money being given out to guys this offseason is crazy (139 million for Demar DeRozan?), they aren't for 5 or 6 years like they used to be. So yes, it will obviously be possible to overpay someone and get stuck in a bad situation, the effects should't be as long or as crippling as they used to be.

And 2, and even more importantly- James Harden isn't Steve Francis. While they do have some similarities in the way they play, Harden is much, much better than Francis. I can understand how people think that the best thing to do would be to trade Harden and to start all over. But at this point I will agree to disagree. If we were starting all over trying to build through the draft, we would just be hoping that we got lucky and one of our draft picks developed in several years into a top 10 player we could build around. Harden, even though he has his weaknesses, is already a top 10 player in the league in his prime. My opinion (and it's no problem if you disagree with it, that's why it's an opinion) is that you try to get a top 10 player and then once you have one you build around that player. And you don't trade that player unless they tell you they want to be traded and won't resign with you. At that point you cut your losses and take what you can get from that player.

6. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Because the Philly/ Minnesota/ Sacramento sucking year in, year out and hoping a 19 year old will pan out model has worked oh so well.
    :rolleyes:

7. eslate22

eslate22 Member

I just don't understand the idea of blowing up and restarting... how is that going to make us any better than we are currently? no free agents would want to come to a rebuilding franchise unless they care about only money which means they wouldn't help get us any closer... we have the best 2 guard in the league... just need to add another key piece or 2 and we are back contending... not saying we could instantly be title contenders but a deep run in the playoffs this year could set us up next year to add a final key piece in FA to make us instant title contenders... blow on the team up and rebuilding gives you no chance at a title anytime soon and as previously mentioned it will guarantee harden walking in 2018

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, cause it didn't work for Cleveland, Miami, Golden State, SA, OKC, Boston, LAC. Oh wait....

The only contender that has been truly been built through the acquisition of two star players was Miami - one of whom was a generational player.

You could argue that Cle got theirs in FA, but really that was their only player coming back home. And then there is Shaq going to LA.

In every other case, the team was already very very good when they added a free agent (Dennis Rodman to the Bulls, Iggy to G.S.).

You can't turn a near lotto team into a contender by adding overpaid FA's who are not superstars. It won't work.

You are better off just starting over. We are in no man's land.

9. HTOWNTAKEOVER

HTOWNTAKEOVER Member

lets see

whose situation would I rather been in right now.

Wolves or Rockets?

Choice is rather easy for me.

10. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Since I am hoping for contending for titles, not just playoffs, I actually think the rebuild is the way to go. We have close to zero assets, so trading our way to the top is not happening. Looks like we are striking out on any FA that might get us heading in that direction and save Durant, not sure if any really get us into title contention anyways.

I'd actually be in favor of a trade of Harden for say Ingram/Russell and if you can get them to throw in Randle, we would be on our way with out having to go through 3 or 4 years of sucking. Sure next year might not be the best, but it probably won't now anyways. That gives Ingram and Russell a year more of experience and a likely 3rd high draft pick to pair with them. This gives hope for the future.

11. HTOWNTAKEOVER

HTOWNTAKEOVER Member

so are yall ready to come out and say you want to rebuild?

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not yet, there is a chance they come out with another 45-48 season without achieving much playoff success

13. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Time to kick the can.

14. mightybosstone

No. Because as long as Harden is still in a Rockets jersey, Les and Morey are not going to give up on building a contender. Because even a team with Harden and a bunch of below average starters (pretty much what they have now) is capable of playing .500 basketball.

With Harden on the roster, you just can't rebuild. They'll be sitting where they were a few years ago with a pick in the 12-16 range in professional sports limbo for two years. And they won't trade him at the trade deadline in a year and a half either. They will do everything in their power to keep him and build a title until he either re-signs or this thing sinks like the Titanic.

And if the latter DOES happen, you're looking at three years before the rebuilding process would even start. The first high lottery pick would be three summers from now, and if the Thunder and Warriors have taught us anything, you're not likely to reap the benefits from building through the draft until at least 3-4 years in.

I don't want to have to wait 5-7 years for the Rockets to contend again! We wait to wait two freaking decades for them to get back to the conference finals again last season! And they're hell of a lot closer to contention now than they're likely to be if they try to rebuild for the draft. For every Golden State and Oklahoma City, there's a Sacramento, a Minnesota, a Philadelphia and a New Orleans.

15. HTOWNTAKEOVER

HTOWNTAKEOVER Member

oh cry me a river. i endured the astros sucking much longer and baseball is harder to rebuild than basketball is. currently the astros are reaping the benefits of rebuilding. you will survive.

16. caneks

caneks Rookie

You sure about that? I think he overpaid more than $100M so far.

17. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

you mean you had to explain all that? they couldnt just figure it out on their own in like 5 seconds?

18. mightybosstone

You act like you're the only Astros fan on this site. News flash, genius: this is a sports forum for a professional sports team in Houston. MOST of us are Astros fans! "You" didn't endure that Astros team. The entire freaking city did.

And you act as if rebuilding in sports follows the same script. It pretty much never does. Golden State and OKC drafted most of its stars, but throughout history, a ton of teams have been successful via free agency and trades. The Lakers didn't draft Kareem or Shaq, Lebron won titles only after signing on teams as a free agent, etc. There is no set way to succeed in professional sports.

You know what you really need to succeed sometimes, man? Luck. You act as if Houston had only been successful because of the young guys they drafted after finally making the decision to rebuild, but you know who the best player on the roster is right now? It's not the young stud shortstop Correa or the versatile college star Springer. It's the 5-foot, 5-inch "nobody gave a damn about me six years ago" Jose Altuve who's having the MVP season.

So don't spew some nonsense about how you endured years of strife watching 100-loss Astros teams so that Lunhow's ingenious rebuilding process and stud draft picks saved the Astros franchise. Because everyone needs a little luck, and if rebuilding from scratch was a surefire way to succeed in this league, every GM and front office would be doing it right now.

1 person likes this.
  19. juanm34

juanm34 Member

You may not like it but Morey has to bring in players that will help take the offensive load off Harden or he will break down.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lets wait until Horford signs with another team before we start panicking.

Think about it, we got a 56 win season, 2nd seed and WCF just a year ago. We have the same team, we got a better coach, replace Howard with Horford, I think theres a real chance that we could bounce back nicely.

Now if and very likely once Horford sigms somewhere else, then we panick and throw fits.