1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do Houstonians hate Dallas and people from Dallas hate Houstonians?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Chuck_Ferrari, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Chuck_Ferrari

Chuck_Ferrari Member

It doesn't seem to be purely sports-related as I people who have personally brought up their strong dislike of the people and city, and it doesn't have to do with the Cowboys or Chandler Parsons; yet, they never really give me a concrete answer that would warrant the amount of energy they put into it. They'll just say they are stuck up or assholes or something to that nature.

I'm not too well-versed in Texas history, is there some historical context that I'm missing?

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Totally different cultures. Houston is all about authenticity and diversity. Dallas is pretty much the opposite.

1 person likes this.
  3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

They both suck. Its just a matter of who sucks more.

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Mainly because Dallas sucks and Houston doesn't.

1 person likes this.
  5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

A friend moved to Dallas last year and told me most in his office drove BMWs and had Labrador Retrievers. He was a put off by that in a roll your eyes kind of way. A year later he lives in the same mcmansion neighborhood as his many of his co-workers, bought a bmw, and is a proud owner of a lab.

6. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

^^what he said^^

Dallas people are afraid of diversity. It's a mostly segregated city and the City council cannot get anything done because its always north-vs-south. Dallas ttys too hard to be upperclass Metropolitan and they look down on anyone who isn't.
    They're pretentious.

which is why I live in Fort Worth - the polar opposite of Dallas and much more like Houston. Dallasites HATE Fort Worth too. The less I travel to Dallas, the better.

7. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Ever heard of the Mason-Dixon line?

1 person likes this.
  8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It started back in the 10th century, when Dallas was the nominal capital of the region but Houston was it's most important city. As a port city, it was the center of trade and grew rich from commerce with city-states on the Mexican and South American coasts. Dallas was more of the agricultural hub, but needed to trade through Houston to reach foreign markets. The rivalry came to a head in the 11th century with the assassination of the archbishop of Dallas and a war was waged. Dallas and Houston became walled cities as fighting continued most of the century. Dallas formed an alliance with Atlanta who had a powerful fleet at the time and blamed Houston for a deal they made with Saracen pirates to prey upon Atlanta trade ships (later scholarship has proved that was true). In 1085, Atlanta blockaded Houston by water while Dallas' army laid siege by land. They were never able to breach Houston's defenses but many citizens died during the 2 year siege from starvation and disease. Ultimately, Atlanta's blockade failed when they became embroiled in a war with New York City and pulled back their navy. Once Houston was able to get relief by sea, Dallas quit the siege. Relations improved over the next couple of generations, and they even signed a pact by 1108. But, a few years after, in the throes of a multi-year drought that heavily impacted Dallas, Houston used the guise of foreign shipments of grain to infiltrate the walls of Dallas and massacre many of the inhabitants and setting fire to much of the old quarter of the city. The rise of the Aztecs in the south ultimately pushed both cities to the margins and they eventually both were forced into tributaries to Tenochtitlan and the rivalry between them subsided to a simmer that can still be felt to this day.

2 people like this.
  9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Dallas is just like a nicer, cleaner city. In downtown Houston, there’s not much to do. It’s just businesses, and it’s just kind of … dirty.

10. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Cause Dallas is just a wannabe Los Angeles.

11. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I wanted to argue with him but I too am in Fort Worth and I can feel the pretentiousness and anger about the time I start approaching Arlington.

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

So for those of you who live there - Is Dallas really as pretentious as people claim?

I have heard you often see people making say 60-70K a year living a baller lifestyle like they are making 150k+?

13. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

When I first moved here in 98 and people would ask me where I'm from..I'd say "Houston" and there response was usually "I'm sorry".

I came here with NO presumptions about Dallas - the people soured my image on the town. They will talk bad about every other major city in Texas as if the only reasonable place in Texas is Dallas.

Fort Worth is great though.

meh, you see this everywhere these days. I remember hanging out at a friends house in 5th Ward and he had a BMW and his parents had cable TV AND 2 satellite dishes - with the premium channels. this was back in the early 90's.

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Because Dallas sucks, obviously.

15. hvic

hvic Member

Dallas sucks and there highway system sucks. Dallas folks are stuck up and some of them even copy cat Cubans attitude there. I rock my rockets hat proud everytime I go to Dallas to Visit my stuck up cousins

16. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Patton Oswalt keeping it real! :eek:

17. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

Because Dallas has absolutely no charm whatsoever and people in Dallas don't like to admit it.

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It's the people from Dallas that turned me off to it. I lived in Arlington for just one year ('05-'06) and they just sucked so hard.

Plus, what's weird to me is that Dallas is unremarkable in every way, yet it always gets love from national sources. Why? I don't get it.

19. CCorn

CCorn Member

Chad Dallas founded Dallas so he could live in a city where it was legal to marry your cousin. That **** is gross.

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I've lived in both places and the reality is they are incredibly similar places. That is probably what fosters the dislike. It's not like we are talking San Francisco or New York vs Houston - which actually have very meaningful differences.