1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kent Bazemore meeting with Rockets as we speak (UPDATE: Signs with Hawks)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Jun 30, 2016.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

He can get an extension after next season; negotiate during 2017-18 with new contract starting 2018-19 @ $28m

Another reason to "overpay" to contend NOW before Harden's payday rolls around

Morey deserves to be fired if we waste the next two years rebulding

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well after 2 more years he'll get another contact. He'll be 29, and assuming he doesn't continue gaining weight, he should get a max.

3. do work son

do work son Member

bazemore is 6'4 but has a 7 foot wingspan. he can guard 3s just fine. If your argument is "he can't guard the durants or lebrons etc", you should just stop. no one can guard those guys. he moves well without the ball as a slasher. no he's not going to iso and consistently beat guys, but that's what MDA is for. He's capable of catching and shooting, or putting it on the floor and attacking the rim.

1 person likes this.
  4. ksny15

ksny15 Member

He's essentially a younger Ariza with much better finishing and a bit more handles. I'm down for this signing!

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Who can we overpay to make us contend?

6. malakas

malakas Member

He is already a major TO risk.

He's not good when you put him against SFs. If you put him guarding a small sf then ok.
    Ask any Hawks fan if you don't believe me.
    Wingspan doesn't say a lot when there's actually film for years that proves it.
    Wingspan isn't the end all for defence.

7. ksny15

ksny15 Member

This!

8. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Baze*

9. finsraider

finsraider Member

Morey seems to think so, as almost everyone we have drafted or pursued in free agency over the last several years have had huge wingspans.

10. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

So what's the story? Is the meeting over yet? Any word when we are meeting Horford?

11. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

What about defense*?

Theres not many SFs so bug that I would fill uncomfortable with Baze defending him. How many SFs are actually gonna try to back him down and use their size advantage in the post? Not many!

12. malakas

malakas Member

He's not a playmaker and ballhandler but he can GUARD THE 1.
    FORGET traditional positions. If he can guard it you can put him next to Harden.

If he's our starting sf, then forget it. I'm vehemently against paying Bazemore big $ if Dantoni plans to make him a starting sf.

a much smaller Ariza and less versatile. Without the bargain contract.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

A Bazemore Horford free agency would be a great START to redemption. Hawk tastes good.

14. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

We're looking for people that can be a great fit next to Harden, right?

What can possibly be a better fit than a guy that can knock down the open jumper and pump fake and attack the basket off the pass? He seems to be really good at those things.

By comparison, I facepalm every time Ariza passes up a shot to attack the basket off a pass.

15. malakas

malakas Member

What are you trying to prove by saying this finsraider?
    Morey seems to think so, and that's why our defence has been awful?
    Thank you for proving my point for me then.

Right because the average sf in the league is 6'4 and can be defended by Bazemore.

16. do work son

do work son Member

which SFs can't bazemore guard?

17. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

He also moves very well without the ball which is huge with harden...i like this pickup..he brings an attitude, very good defensively, needs to improve the shot but its already not bad.
    If it helps getting horford here then for sure you do it, if not id still seriously conside it at 18 per since mozgov got 16

18. Nook

Nook Member

Bazemore doesn't have great handles but they are better than Ariza's.

Bazemore defends 3's quite well. He is just a very good defender.

19. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

You're telling me to forget traditional positions while crying about Bazemore being too small to guard SFs... Shawn Marion was a PF in Phx at only 2 inches taller than Bazemore. Similar wingspan allowed him to play bigger. I see the same for Baze.

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

I can get behind that. The lines are starting to get very blurry on positions.

For example, when we play DMo and Capela together, who is the 4 and who is the 5? I don't think traditional positioning can answer that. You'd don't ask DMo to guard players out on the perimeter like you would Capela