1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

You might not like it

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HTOWNTAKEOVER, Jun 30, 2016.

1. HTOWNTAKEOVER

HTOWNTAKEOVER Member

But Im hoping Morey strikes out in free agency. Rather start rebuilding than overpaying for free agents and making us mediocre in the West. Baseball is harder to rebuild than basketball. I had to endure the Astros sucking for so long before they got good again. You can survive the Rockets being bad for a few years. It will be better in the long haul. Trust me.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

your right, I don't like it.

3. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You're in luck! I don't see Morey overpaying.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

his right or left?

If we are tanking, then might as well trade Harden. He'll be a free agent in two years and 29 years old.

5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Les will never rebuild.

Besides, we have James and capspace, now ....

There won't be any K's.

#5 Plowman, Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  6. Horry33

Horry33 Contributing Member

I've been a "In Morey We Trust" guy but time to wake up. I feel like those delusional Texans fans that made excuses for Rick Smith and Kubiak all those years. Morey has been telling everybody how rockets have won so many games over the last ten years, les is considered a great owner, Houston is a place players want to play blah blah blah. I don't see it. Get ready for Amir Johnson and Seth Curry types.

Btw I fully believed when rockets went after melo, cp3, bosh, Lowry, Aldridge. But not anymore

7. photojoe

photojoe Member

Too soon to say this.

I know the nightmare of last season makes it seem like we are insurmountably behind GSW and OKC and SAS. But let's not forget that the terrible team of last year was basically the same guys that won 56 games and were the 2nd seed and made it to the WCF. If they could fix their chemistry issues and add just a couple of pieces to fill in some of their deficiencies, they may not be as far behind as they seemed like they were last year.

Let's say we get Horford at a max deal, keep DMo and then get something like Courtney Lee and Jeremy Lin at reasonable contracts followed by a couple of decent other role players to fill in some gaps- or something like that- and they could potentially be back to being competitive again.

Let's wait and see what happens first. If we start giving out 20+ million contracts to Ryan Anderson and Nicolas Batum then I will agree with you.

8. HTOWNTAKEOVER

HTOWNTAKEOVER Member

thing is, even with Horford, d-mo lee and lin we still wont be a top 3 team in the west. Warriors, Thunder and Spurs will still be better. might as wel just blow up the team because we would be in such a bad spot and screwed cap wise. plus there could be a chance Harden bounces in 2018.

9. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

blow up the team, you guarantee Harden bounces in 2018.

10. Newlin

Newlin Member

I'd be surprised if we get Horford, but I guess it's possible. We can keep DMo if we want to match what will probably be a large offer from someone. And I don't think there will be any "reasonable" contracts given to free agents this year.

If Morey does something amazing in the next week, then I will bow down to him.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We're not becoming a contender by then anyway

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Why didnt you just title this "lets trade Harden" ?

13. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

you might not like it.........but everyone has got to overpay for free agents

we still need to spend a certain amount of money

14. JD88

JD88 Member

There's no such thing as overpaying anymore.

Anyone on max deals now will look like discounts in 3 years.

The salary FLOOR is like $85m. There's going to be mad money thrown around.

Next year the cap will be $110m.

Contracts don't matter right now.

15. varughese.arun

SHUT YOUR MOUTH!

16. photojoe

photojoe Member

"Reasonable" contracts is taking on a new meaning in this new salary cap world. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around what some of these players are being projected to make. And sure, everyone will have a different idea of what is a reasonable contract for a specific player.

For example, I saw that Lin was projected to make something between 8-13 million a year. Under the old cap, IMO that would be overpaying him. But with this new cap if we could get him for maybe 10 or 11 a year and if he accepted a 6th man/primary scorer off the bench role like he had in Charlotte, then I would consider that a reasonable contract compared to what some of these other players are making.

17. vick

vick Member

I am 65 years old i dont want to wait a few years.

18. photojoe

photojoe Member

Would that make us a top 3 team in the West? Maybe. Probably not just by itself.

But then let's say Durant actually decides to leave OKC? And then during the season both Curry and Bogut have season ending injuries? And then there is some trade that ends up becoming available that improves us even more?

All I am saying is that you never know what might happen. Blowing up a team and acquiring draft picks is usually done in the hope that you will get lucky in the draft and find a player that will develop in 3 to 5 years into a top 10 superstar. For every draft when there is a Kevin Durant, there is also a Greg Oden. Or every year there is a Lebron James there is a Darko Milicic. Or every draft that there is a James Harden there is a Hasheem Thabeet.
    Harden is already a top 10 player in this league. Yes, even with his defense. You don't find players like that very often. Of course he isn't going to be able to win the Finals by himself. He needs the right sidekick, and even though I was excited for Dwight Howard it is now obvious that he isn't it. Maybe Horford would be it, maybe not. But if he decided to come here, you would have to give that a chance. And then after finding the right #2 player, you still need the right role players and complementary players. Maybe Beverley/Ariza/Lin/Lee/DMo/Capela would be it, maybe not. You might completely disagree with me, and I'm not saying that's the route we would end up going, but something along those lines would be a pretty good start. Championship teams aren't built overnight and not in one free agency period. But I do think we have the potential to get our team back on the right track after being derailed this past season.

19. TheresTheDagger

Is that you Les?

(kidding...I get it though. I'm not far behind ya)

20. pass_to_Hakeem

So would DMo come off this bench or ... is he gonna learn to play the 3, assuming HOU signs Al Horford?