1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question for Christians

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by durvasa, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I am Christian. Just beware of people that feel with 100% percent certainty they know the answers to your questions.

2. BucketsorBricks

While God was having his followers sacrifice animals- other Lower level False gods Baal and Marduk was requiring children to be burned alive(Hmm which is worse?) all deaths required by the LORD were for reasons needed and all were wicked or took part in wickedness. try reading and actually understanding before questioning. Most don't take time to do research for themselves they just spew out other peoples ideas and opinions( and most people are idiots).

3. durvasa

durvasa Member

Is the "Law" here mainly referring to the 10 Commandments? There seems to be a lot of laws, rituals, and stipulations for punishment laid out in detail in various parts of the Old Testament. Which of that can modern day Christians discard?

4. Buck Turgidson

Do you personally follow all of the laws in Leviticus? Why or why not?

5. mclawson

mclawson Member

For someone that likes to refer to as a certain presidential candidate as "shrill," the tone of your posts (and excess punctuation) comes across as sounding like my mother in law, the most shrill person on the planet. When she gets worked up only dogs can hear her.

Why do you refuse to answer the question? Don't you think it's a ****ed up system? Why won't you answer?

Why would you want "grace" from a deity that had people practice for "salvation" by slaughtering hundreds or thousands of innocent creatures to pay some other guy's debt that he can't stop getting into since it's built-in by that same deity? Don't most serial killers start by killing animals?

Again, don't you think that's a ****ed up system?

6. cml750

cml750 Member

Words typed from a person who does not have a clue about what he is typing. Please argue on actual merit rather than generalities that you have no idea about.

7. mclawson

mclawson Member

So god was an *******, just less of an ******* than the others? Sounds like a perfect deity to me! I've read the good book (tm) a few times. It's disturbing.

And you're saying every literal lamb that was killed in the bible was wicked or took part in wickedness? Are you blaming a rape victim here?

8. cml750

cml750 Member

No I do not think Christianity fits that description. I guess you were too dense to get that from my earlier post. I have more faith in God and Jesus than I do that the sun will rise in the East tomorrow!!!!

9. BucketsorBricks

10. cml750

cml750 Member

It is ok, believe what you want to. You will get it one day.

One day every knee will bow and every tongue confess Jesus is lord.

11. MadMax

MadMax Member

I don't have the answer to this because different people who call themselves Christian would have different answers.

To me....the OT points to the idea that something different is coming. Jesus is the reason there is such a thing called Christians. And his teachings are very different than what you get of God from the Old Testament, from my point of view. My concept of God is what I understand of He/She/It through Jesus.

People who quote the OT...I find....usually do so to cast judgment outward without being introspective at all. That scares me and frustrates the crap out of me.

1 person likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

12 years educated by Jesuits.... Have read the Bible at least a half dozen times cover to cover.... Minor in Theology... and seriously considered S.J. prior to meeting my wife... four trips to Israel and an Assyrian wife.

Pretty sure I have a "clue" about Christians from 2000 years ago until today... of which there is little similarity.

You have the right to believe what you want, but your narrow understanding of Jesus Christ and Christianity does not speak for every Christian or even a majority of Christians on the subject.

13. BucketsorBricks

Yes, and there are 613 commandments and actually we are still supposed to be doing them now( example not shaving your face or head, eating pork, and so on ) like Christ says he didn't come to remove the Law but for complete it. The Law will forever be The Law.

14. mclawson

mclawson Member

Is your exclamation point key sticky? I don't want to know why, if so.

Now, here is what you said. Remember, these are your words.

Innocent blood had to be shed in atonement. Your words. Why must they atone? Because they are sinful from birth. They can't help it. They have to sin. And then they have to atone. Using innocent blood. All of this to satisfy a deity. Otherwise, no eternal bliss for you! All of that is from your statement.

How does that not represent christianity again? Or are you not christian?

And how is that not a ****ed up system? It is, right?

15. Buck Turgidson

Interesting. I guess you're a King James kinda guy.

New American Standard:

But the noble man devises noble plans; And by noble plans he stands.

16. Nook

Nook Member

17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I think the old testament shows progress but not an endpoint in the journey.

I mentioned in another thread that the whole part about an eye for an eye was already being used as an excuse for vengeance by the time Jesus came just like it is sometimes today.

Yet at the time that whole section is a series of laws that wasn't used to excuse violence but to limit violence. It was a way to stop vengeance, and put an end to a cycle of violence.

Instead of wiping out the whole family for killing a man's son, it limited the punishment that was allowed. It was supposed to be a way of applying the law that was better than what came before.

It was a way to move from point a to point b, but it isn't a list of the final goal which would be point z.

At the time it was written the people who read it understood it was a legal document. But by the time Jesus was around it was already being taken out of context. So going through the context of the time and traditions of the population it was addressed to will help with understanding it.

But I can't pretend to have a definitive answer since my own understanding is still growing and has a long way to go.

Then you have Jesus saying that he had come to fulfill the old testament not to change it. He said this after being called for healing on the sabbath. There was text in the old testament that would have forbade that.

Now many will say that Jesus came that he wasn't trying to change the old testament but to fulfill it will claim that the laws written in the old testament are definitive. Yet Jesus' action was in contrast to the laws as written in the old testament.

So some believe that Jesus was calling out those that didn't understand the purpose behind the laws of the old testament. That is further supported by Jesus lecturing those who follow the letter of the law in contrast with the spirit of the law.

Again, I can't say 100% that I'm correct. It's just that it makes more sense and is more consistent with the life and words of Jesus as I understand it at this point and time.

18. Nook

Nook Member

You always put things so simply but effectively... You are wasted as a bankruptcy lawyer.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I have had a question for Atheist. . . .I was thinking of making a thread about it but
    this seems a good place

When an Atheist says REST IN PEACE . . . what exactly do you mean?
    I mean . . .if you don't believe in an after life . .. isn't dead just dead
    or
    Is it just a conditioned response based on the society in which you are raised?

Rocket River

20. cml750

cml750 Member

Yes, people are born sinful from birth which is why God sent a savior to redeem you from your sins. That innocent blood was shed a long time ago to by your(and everones) redemption. All you have to do is accept it.