1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it me or tipping getting out of hand?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Snow Villiers, Jun 26, 2016.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I have worked all those jobs, mainly as a cook, counter, bus boy, only waited a little bit because short staff

Tipping is absolutely horseshet the way it is now.

You can't convince me the back of the house does any less than what the waitresses and bartenders do. Yet on a busy night they get paid astronomically more than the cooks in tips.

Also while I was working in a really busy burger joints, the rushes are no less tiring and stressful than a waiter's job at a restaurant. Yet we never get tips except for some change customers drop into a cup.

Almost every job in the food industry can be tiring and stressful, yet only some gets the majority of the tips. Makes no sense at all.

And then there's random stuff like tipping a taxi driver, or barber. The meaning of tipping is lost in North America, it's just a fcked up system that greedy owners made up to under pay their employees. It's bull**** and we still accepts it and puts the blame on the consumers.

Tipping should always about extra service, eg, really good service from waitress, exceptional food from the cooks.

2. hvic

hvic Member

Great tip bro

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I completely agree with you. I am not fond of the American tipping model. I do not need to tip the barista or bartender anymore than I need to tip the kid checking out my groceries at the store. Sure, if the bartender makes my drink a little stiffer, I agree a little bonus should be thrown in. But to tip a dollar for them to reach behind them and hand me a beer is not cool.
    Most of the time a server does not deserve anymore than a cook.

Much of the server/restaurant tipping is driven by sales. Management encourages the staff to up sell, and in turn, they will get more tips. If I find a server nickeled-and-dimed me, I always take it out of their tip. On the contrary, if they do not charge me for my beverage, I always add the cost of the beverage on top of their tip.

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

IMO, the only barista that deserves a tip

http://www.eater.com/2016/6/24/12026012/geneva-fellatio-cafe-wtf

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

That is a software thing, not an expectation. My payment processor gives an option for tipping, and I can't turn it off. Most of these businesses just use software that features the option.

6. juicystream

My wife worked at Olive Garden as a To-Go person. She made $9/hr and would sometimes get tips. Most places the servers aren't in charge of getting to go food.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

8. juicystream

They are required to be paid minimum wage, just that tips can subsidize it. The only reason for the $2.13 is to withhold taxes. It would be better if we quit with the tipping system though.

Tipping the mailman is quite common via Christmas gifts.

9. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Depends on what state you live in. California pays servers minimum wage plus tips, not 2 something per hour. I still tip because I don't want people handling my food to be pissed at me, but the system here is a scam.

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Do cooks and non-visible staff make at least minimum wage? If the week, month, season or specific franchise in general is slow, you would seem to get a little more "security."

11. hlcc

hlcc Member

no people will still complain about the idiotic American tipping system. I much much rather prefer they get rid of tipping entirely and just increase the food, taxi, hotel, booze in bars etc price accordingly.

12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

yes usually minimum wage, or more depending highly on the restaurant.

Although I have to I am talking about Canada. The min wage here is 12 dollars. However waiters here get 12 dollars/hr as well if the restaurant doesn't serve alcohol, and get a bit less than 12, like 9.75 to 11 if they do serve alcohol.

So it's not an American thing where waitress literally gets paid 4 bucks an hour and live on tips.

And yes back of the house usually have a guranteed percentage of tips. The last pub I worked at had guaranteed 2% food sales taken from the tips pool and waitress and bartenders take the rest. It's a good security I'll admit. But on a busy night, the front of the house will literally earn 5 times more than us from tips considering it's now considered "cheap" to tip 13 percent.

13. Nook

Nook Member

What do you tip for a hair cut?

I always tip 50% or more. I don't think that is unusual at higher level salons.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If you've seen my hair, you know I don't go to higher level salons. But even at that, no way I'd go higher than 20-25%.

Also, the OP I responded to mentioned a $10 on a $20 hair cut. I assume one pays more than $20 at a high end sal

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I tip well. Almost always 20+% for servers/bartenders. But if I am expected to tip 33% for a beer vendor or 50% for a haircut, then I'm out.

16. body slam

body slam Member

I tip because I want to not because I have to. Give me good service and I give a good tip. Give me poor service and I'll give a poor tip.

I hate it when the tip is all ready added in to the bill.

17. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

You are such a gigantic cuck. It's amusing.

18. Newlin

Newlin Member

Sonic. Does the girl that bring you the food deserve a tip? They are basically doing the same thing they do at whataburger, except they are walking 30 feet to your car.

I usually tip the sonic girl because they look poor, and they are working at Sonic.

1 person likes this.
  19. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I bet some of you are the same cheap idiots who complain about tipping 20% to delivery drivers.

20. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

20%?!? I've always given the pizza guy 2-3 bucks. Same with haircuts.

It's people like you who ruin it for the rest of us!!