1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden. Carmelo, Durant and 2016 Olympics

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ferrari77, Jun 27, 2016.

1. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

So I wanted to get y'alls thoughts on this after reading this article that J.R. posted on the "Durant not considering the Rockets" thread.

Melo, despite playing for team USA in the last 2 Olympics is back again to win his 3rd BBall Gold medal despite Zika, etc. He wants KD on the Knicks. KD is going to be on the Olympic team. He played with KD on the USA team in 2012. He's already recruiting KD to the Knicks. Now add in the next 2 months as he and KD lead the other guys on Team USA, as he and KD workout together, eat together, probably sit next to each other on the flights to the different cities for the warmup games prior to the olympics and on the flight to Rio and back. Just so many different opportunities for him to convince KD that a move to NY is the right thing to do.

Whereas Harden on the other hand decided to pass up on playing in the Olympics. Decided to pass up on spending the next 2 months hanging out and doing everything with KD who he has a closer relationship with than Carmelo has with KD. KD isn't playing Drew League(I figure). He'll be pal'ing it up in the Olympics with Melo. So how can Harden legitimately say he's going to be trying to recruit free agents to Houston when he wont be around the biggest free agent...who he should be trying to woo?

So I'm asking, do y'all think Harden should have taken up the Team USA invite (for both KD recruitment reasons and to get right and get in shape for the start of the season?)
    Do yall think Harden is messing with our intelligence when he talks about recruiting free agents?

Just been thinking about this and wondering if I'm overreacting. Help me out CFers

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16...t-kevin-durant

2. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

KD will have already made his decision known long before the Olympics begin.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Me thinks you don't understand the concept of time, and how it works relative to NBA free agency and the Olympics.

Free agency starts I think Friday.
    The Olympics won't start until afterwards.
    KD isn't doing anything Olympic related (ont he court) until he signs a new contract.

Regarding Melo, I really dig the fact that he's going back again. He might not ever get that elusive NBA ring, but he'd still be able to look back and said he won a title at Syracuse and 3 gold medals (hopefully 3). Still point to definitely being a winner. And a winner that is a role model for the health of the game.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

"Harden is failing the Rockets by not recruiting Durant at the Olympics" is the new "Harden is the reason Ty Lawson is bad at basketball"

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yep.

The games aren't even until August.

Super star free agents select their teams a week after July 1st most of the time.

6. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Methinks you believe KD is leaving OKC this summer and that I was merely referring to KD leaving OKC this summer as opposed to the possibility that he reups for 1 more year in OKC and then exits next summer.

So if that happens, I'm talking about Melo laying the groundwork with KD right now, this summer. Hope that helps clarify.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

What groundwork? Harden has KD's number and has probably been talking to him for years. How is Melo gonna have an advantage there? Harden and KD are friends.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Also KD has said he wants to pick his team for the next 5/6 years this offseason. (though that can change)

Also, KD wanting to come to the Rockets next year will have nothing to do with whether or not Harden plays in the olympics this year. It will have to do with how KD feels about the team he chooses this offseason, and where the Rockets are next offseason.

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Nice thought but like others have pointed out, free agency period should be done by the time Durant and Melo get to Rio.

The posters on here are subtlety saying, yes, you are overreacting.