1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

David Cameron: Britain's EU Referendum to be held June 23

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

That is ridiculous. The topic was debated for years and quite heavily for the past year. The Leave campaign won the debate and the only likely reason a BREXIT might not occur at this point would be if the government gave in to a Norway type deal where it is technically not in the EU but still heavily restricted by EU policies. The likelihood of that dropped significantly with Cameron's resignation.

2. Major

Major Member

The problem is that Boris Johnson (along with other Leave leaders) is already hedging a little - trying to slow things down, saying they don't need to give any formal notice now, etc. It was all well and good when he wasn't the one that had to negotiate the details or deal with the consequences, but now that he might be the one in the spotlight, he's already backing off some.

3. Bandwagoner

That is an incredibly odd reading of the circumstances that he is now scared of the job he wanted. The reality is this is a response to the EU bullying and rushing the UK. This bullying will likely continue in all aspects of the divorce. The EU is the organization being left.

4. Major

Major Member

It's not the EU rushing the UK - the UK was the one that originally claimed that they would give formal notice the morning after the vote if they chose to leave. The EU wants to get on with negotiations so they get certainty instead of just being in endless limbo for no reason.

If the UK is certain to leave, there's no reason for them to delay giving notice of it. The negotiation period is 2 years, so it's not like it would trigger anything overnight.

5. Bandwagoner

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't think the uk will get any upfront deal. They just received some nice concessions before the vote and other deadbeat straggler countries world want something similar if they get one again.

Those deals were to promote a happy EU. But with that out the window, the price for returning is another referendum and Cameron out

#366 Invisible Fan, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  7. Major

Major Member

Did you read what I posted? I'll repost it in super-simple segments for you:

It's not the EU rushing the UK - the UK was the one that originally claimed that they would give formal notice the morning after the vote if they chose to leave.

This states that the UK was pushing to leave quickly.

The EU wants to get on with negotiations so they get certainty instead of just being in endless limbo for no reason.

This statement clearly indicates that the EU *also* wants the UK to leave quickly so they can move forward.

The EU would only be pushing the UK out if the UK didn't argue for the same course of action. Both sides wanted a quick divorce. Nothing has changed from the EU side. It's the UK that's backing off that, realizing that that they have no idea what they are going to do. The EU isn't pushing them out - the UK is now just trying to hold off.

It probably doesn't help that the new likely PM likely only joined the Leave campaign due to political motivations and doesn't actually want to leave.

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Exactly. Who cares who is rushing whom. The smart money wants concrete plans, as much certainty as it can get, and a clear plan moving forward. Uncertainty is bad for economies, period. That's kind of obvious.

EU doesn't strike me as jilted as much as practical here.

9. Bandwagoner

Yes and I think that was easily refuted by the EU leaders and UK leaders saying the exact opposite of what you said. Is that simple enough? The UK makes their own timeline no matter how much crying and bullying various EU Parliament and Presidents do. The fact of the matter is Cameron is stepping down, his successor will be the one to potentially trigger Article 50, and that is the timeline. Cameron said he would trigger it as soon as possible but he said many untruths and now he is gone. Gove and Johnson are against it, Farage called for Cameron to step down, so as far as UK leaders wanting it, I think you are really confused.

10. Bandwagoner

Not Major because he clearly doesn't know.

11. dmoneybangbang

You misunderstand me then, I said the EU has the ability to help. The EU is constructed and implemented poorly, but that doesn't mean you have to reinvent the wheel to fix it.

Maybe. But it seems a significant chunk of Brexit folks regret it so that power can surely shift.

It's certainly a wait and see right now. However, my position is that it is better for the UK to stay and try to work out the differences.

12. dmoneybangbang

Perhaps you should read your links since they seem to go with what Major is saying or maybe y'all are arguing about semantics. The EU wants certainty while the UK seems to be dragging its feet, that's what I read from your links and that's what I understand to be Major's point.

13. Bandwagoner

So Majors point when he said "It's not the EU rushing the UK" is reinforced when President Martin Schulz said he wants them out as soon as possible? And when Major said the UK is the one that wants out quickly that is backed up by President Martin Schulz saying "I doubt it is only in the hands of the government of the United Kingdom" implying he can force them to trigger Article 50?

Sorry but that is laughable. Like I said, the EU can and will bully and cry. They can't DO anything though so why argue about it.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Major is wrong, the EU is rushing the UK now.

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It's all up to UK when to start the process to exit the EU but once the official process start, both the EU and UK have to negotiate how to untangle.

Nothing was legally binding, so although it's very unlikely, it's cannot be ruled out that nothing will happen and UK stay in the EU. Until the process start, nothing has changed other than the market factoring in the current situations. Kind of cool to have a preview of what happen without actually executing it.

16. Bandwagoner

Of course he is.

What do you think the chances are of a Norway deal being the final outcome considering Norway also voted against membership.

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Personally, I think they are high. Some people in the EU talk big right now, and yes, they want to deter other countries, but in the end, they cannot afford to treat the UK badly just to spite them and punish them. It will all be complicated and annoying, though.

18. dmoneybangbang

So then you are arguing about semantics. Gotcha.

19. dmoneybangbang

It's like the EU and the globe is worried about the uncertainty surrounding the entire situation. Crazy right?

It's certainly helping that a significant chunk of Brexit voters are having buyers remorse.

20. Bandwagoner

And we have arrived at what Major was trying to push with his complete falsehoods you have labeled semantics. That now the democratic vote that saw massive campaigning and widespread debate and discussion which resulted in a Leave vote by a margin of over a million voters doesn't really count and the voters didn't really mean it.

In my opinion that is nonsense.