1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ABC13] Fort Bend Mom Shoots and Kills Daughters

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Dairy Ashford, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

ABC13

2. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Are more people just losing it now more than ever or just unreported back in the days?

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I think a little of both.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If only the daughters, husband or neighbors had guns to defend themselves from the killer.

1 person likes this.
  5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Homicides are at their lowest level in 30+ years. So no people aren't losing it more.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This has nothing to do with guns. Move along.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I just say a report of a guy killing a woman because she would not go out with him

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4N3N1MlvVc4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Mad World

Rocket River

8. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Mental Illness?

9. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

Family argument? Hard to imagine being a mom for 22 years, then just snap over a family argument in some way that escalate to killing her two daughters. She chased and shot them to death. Crazy.

Wouldn't being surprising that she has a known mental illness. And that she has access to gun even with that illness.

http://nypost.com/2016/06/25/mom-kills-two-daughters-is-fatally-shot-by-police/

[​IMG]

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

So the big question now is what the dispute was about.

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

say 16 years ago, this would have been only been news in the local paper, now everything 'sensational' is on the internet.... for about a day till something else happens

awareness/reality

violent crime is statistically down but we are more aware of it

1 person likes this.
  12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Well I'm betting that the daughters wish their mom never had a gun. They wouldve had a much better chance of surviving.

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

this. I sometimes try to imagine our modern horror-obsessed media working in, say, 1885 America. The grisly, gruesome and just abominable stories could have run 24/7 with no repeats. LOL.

14. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

The world is smaller through near real time communication. It is really good especially for part of the world that has been isolated or less informed. More positive than negative in my book.

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Not to derail from this tragedy, but I honestly don't think humans can handle the bandwidth. We evolved to conceive of a max of 150 other human beings. Our circuits, as evolved, as just being fried. That's why people are turning away from facts in such droves and why they are embracing tribalism. (And why depression and anxiety are on a marked rise). Just my happy two cents!

16. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

This is interesting. Are there specific books or articles you've read on this?

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

She probably either felt underappreciated or that she was losing control. One of those girls was old enough to drink and maybe finishing college, the other one was about to start senior year, and dad had already separated. Maybe she was about to lose custody of the younger girl before the last year of high school, and the older daughter had already cut her off emotionally, while presenting a questionable influence to the younger sister.

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

One could say media was as sensationalist back then, if not necessarily as ubiquitous or efficient at continuous delivery and production; but they were more obsessed with Papists or suffragettes than violent crime, and readers would have needed that demographic context to calibrate their reaction.

19. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you're on to something there Bob. I have to constantly, consciously, frame news, bad news in particular, in a more historical and global perspective to keep from being overwhelmed by it and to try and get a more accurate picture of where we are and where we're going.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

She gives me the crazy look. Reminds me of my friend's mom who is manic depressive.