1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SCOTUS] Fisher v. University of Texas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Hustle Town, Feb 28, 2013.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Please tell me why the argument of "merit alone" would apply to race and not just gender.

You built a fence out of toothpicks right there.

2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Tell yourself that. I don't know what is going on in your head.

Don't step on the toothpicks - they may hurt you.

3. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

You didn't explain (you can't obviously), so if you're going to tell me that merit should be the only thing factored in, why is it just race and not gender?

Becky gets in because she's black.

Becky gets in because she's a woman.

You feeling ok today man? :confused:

4. Newlin

Newlin Member

Ok, so I googled it. So, it means oral sex. See, I'm not a college kid. I don't hang out in the clubs. And, I'm not into rap music.

Still don't know why Rocket River would use this term for this girl. I guess he was just being trying to be nasty. Whatever.:rolleyes:

5. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

I was just messing around :grin:, no clue and don't know if that's what RR meant...

6. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

no, because you can graduate with merit, and still be denied without merit because of your name.

There's a difference between using race to discriminate, and being honest about race in addressing discrimination that has endured, and continues to endure.

7. Cohete Rojo

In the case, the plaintiff argued that race based admission criteria prevented her from being admitted.

8. Cohete Rojo

Of course it doesn't. So why attack her? She argued that race base admission criteria prevented her from being admitted.

9. Northside Storm

Because she is privileged and if people want to be suing for scant protections for minorities, it shouldn't be much too ask for people to consider suing against excessive majoritarian privileges.

Also, her argument is wrong and she was the (right) plaintiff to highlight that. She's the best they could come up with, and race-based admissions doesn't seem to have played much if any role in denying her admission.

10. cml750

cml750 Member

It is a shame justice Scalia passed away. It is time to move past discrimination based on skin color.

11. Cohete Rojo

What do you know about her on a personal level that makes you believe she is privileged?

I don't see a need for race-based admission policies.

12. Northside Storm

Tell that to the millions of people who are enforcing and continue to enforce systematic racism.

Do you think discrimination based on skin color is truly dead?

13. Northside Storm

Nobody with a 3.55 GPA and her bad SAT score deserves s**t. She threw a tantrum despite being objectively a worser candidate than hundreds (by the grades, not by her race). Most people suck it up or look for validation outside of conventional education, she just chose to be the figurehead of a frivolous lawsuit.

Yes, you're privileged if you think you should get in to the university of your choice despite vastly inferior grades, and then you append yourself to a lost-lamb legal organization that fights for your "rights". There's not really two ways about that.

Presumably because you've never been in charge of an organization large enough to truly absorb the value of diverse perspectives, or because you've never seen the potential of giving people who have had to overcome arbitrary biases a way to demonstrate their potential despite overwhelming systematic odds.

i.e you're probably white, but not like Fortune 500 white.

HOW THE TABLES HAVE TURNED

*append sarcasm and irony tags where needed*

#213 Northside Storm, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  14. cml750

cml750 Member

First of all there is a huge difference between racism and discrimination. Racism will never be completely wiped out. There will always be a few idiots here and there. This is institutionalized discrimination based on skin color. It has nothing to do with racism other than it could make people who are denied admission due to this policy have racist tendencies. Institutionalized discrimination based on skin color is not the answer.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

LMAO!!! Google it. . . . AGAIN!!!!

Rocket River
    Lemonade!!!

16. Northside Storm

Do you consider it institutionalized discrimination based on inferred skin color that white felons get, systematically, a better call-back rate than black college graduates for jobs?

Do you consider it institutionalized discrimination based on inferred skin color when resumes with exactly the same contents but one with traditionally white names and one with traditionally black names receives a 50%+ differential in callback rates?

Do you think Justice Scalia was right to say "African American students might fare better in a "slower-track school"?

Do you think America is still over the effect of denying African Americans, through redlining, a shot at the largest and most distributed spurt of economic growth in America's history? This wasn't centuries ago--we're talking a mere generation ago.

Do you think America is still over the effect of offering/targeting racial minorities for crummy subprime loans? Affidavits of BoA employees indicated they called them "ghetto loans" that targeted "mud people"--were they part of the system, or merely a "few bad apples".

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

#BeckwithTheBadGrades
    Google that too

Rocket River

18. cml750

cml750 Member

All you ever do is spew useless rhetoric. Just admit you support discrimination based on skin color. Don't try to justify discrimination because it is wrong no matter how you look at it.

19. Cohete Rojo

So she is privileged because she does not want to be racially discriminated?:confused:

I see no inherent value in race, therefore I do not see a need for race-based admission policies. Public education policies should bar discrimination - not embrace them.

What arbitrary biases inherent in one's race is anyone overcoming with such policies?

And leave my skin color out of this, thank you.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Crackpot Rojo - which graduate/professional school did you go to?