1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[SCOTUS] Fisher v. University of Texas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Hustle Town, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

You're filled with too much hate and anger. Your beef with R is its syntax - take a breather.

2. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

My beef with you is that you can't get anything done. Your ideas will die, regardless, especially if they have such poor defenders ;)

That has nothing to do with my beef with R--more to do with how you misused it.

Re: hate and anger, some people use coffee. I use pure spite.

While I have you on the line, do you care to comment about statistical proof of systematic racism in employment? Try to keep comments on the topic. Hint: the topic is not me.

3. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Abigail Fisher was not judged by the color of her skin. She was judged by her mediocre grades, below average SAT score and was still offered provisional admission to UT by way of the CAP program. She declined that because she is an entitled brat.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Not surprised SamFisher is avoiding this thread like the plague.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Becky With the Bad Grades

Rocket River

6. Cohete Rojo

The topic is the SC case regarding race based admission criteria. This thread has nothing to do with your attack against the lady involved in the law suit no matter how accurate are the statistics you put forth. Get a hold of yourself.

7. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The crux of Abigail Fisher's argument is that she was denied entry to UT solely based on race. She claims that had she been a minority, she would've been admitted with her lesser grades. This is untrue. Hundreds of minority students with better grades than Abigail, who were also outside of the top 10%, were denied admission to UT. Her argument is without merit.

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I really don't have a problem with that if you consider how Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas and Sweatt v. Painter came to fruition. Human rights law might not have or seek a monetary remedy, so it's difficult for a conventional firm to justify litigating and researching the case in a meaningful manner without breaking their budget or, just as imprudently, alienating commercial or community clientele. So donor-funded special interest groups are the best way to call for social change through conventional administrative and legal means with tangible results.

9. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

So blacks are calling this chick Becky? Well that is racist.....

10. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Right, so my argument targeting the plaintiff of the case with her own ineffectual logic, challenging the "color blindness" argument applied to the 14th (not valid in a society that has to judge race when systematic racism still needs to be ended) enumerated in the case and others is off-topic but you assuming I'm white isn't.

Get a hold of yourself, and read the opinion.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

There were white people with worse grades than her that got in
    She just felt her White Privilege should have gotten her in over ALL MINORITIES no matter their grades

Rocket River

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

At the very least it's snide enough to betray one's own individual racial chauvinism or deeply-rooted resentment. I believe HB used that term when he found out Mario Williams or someone else had a white fiancee.

13. mingthething

mingthething Member

The next Jeremy Linnnnn will emerge!

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Pretty common knowledge but thought I'd share anyways. Ironically enough, as posters have previously stated this b**** would be in much much much worse shape w/o AA

http://ideas.time.com/2013/06/17/affirmative-action-has-helped-white-women-more-than-anyone/

Affirmative Action Has Helped White Women More Than Anyone

15. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Too busy on his hipster scooter shooting midrange shots and distributing pictures of Vspan.

16. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Is it really? Are grades the only thing that matters? In actuality, it's a combination of many factors. The argument here was that it is unfair that one of those factors is allowed to be "race." Seems like a valid case for the supreme court to hear. They heard it, and ultimately made a ruling (which I happen to agree with).

I don't really understand what people are on about. I guess just going into outrage auto-pilot (calling the girl names, sprinkle in some white privilege, etc.) instead of actually thinking about it and seeing it for what it is. A valid case for the supreme court to hear and make a ruling. Is that not exactly how the system is supposed to work?

17. Newlin

Newlin Member

I admit I'm not hip to all the new lingo. But, I've never heard this "Becky" thing before. Is this supposed to be a derogatory or racist thing to say? Is this one of those words that only people of a certain race are allowed to say? What exactly is a Becky?

18. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

...dude how do you not know Becky....

1 person likes this.
  19. Cohete Rojo

So it all evens out, amirite?

20. Cohete Rojo