1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2016 NBA Draft/2-43] Zhou Qi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2016.

?

Do you like the selection of Zhou Qi?

Poll closed Oct 26, 2016.
  1. YES

67.8%
  2. NO

32.2%
  1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Compare and contrast:

Skal Labissiere and Zhou Qi

They seem like pretty much the same dude to me.

2. basketballholic

The buyout has reportedly been agreed to for 2017. Chinese bball season ends in March. I think that's when the buyout can take place unless it was reported in error. (Wouldn't be the first time,)

3. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

If there's a 7'2" guy with a 7'8" wingspan, a decent jump shot, and shot blocking ability, you draft him, especially if it's with the 43rd pick. I don't care what planet he's from.

1 person likes this.
  4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Thank you. Its funny if we had a 1st round draft pick, most here wouldnt even bat an eye at this pick. They wouldnt even acknowledge it since it was a late 2nd rounder and would have just laughed it off and left it alone as a Chinese connection.

By all means, this is still a 2nd round draft pick that most likely wont pan out or is a few years away anyway from even being serviceable in the NBA. People are acting like he was supposed to be the savior of the franchise at pick 43.

I like his upside but dont think hell ever be even an impact player off the bench. Would be interesting to see how much muscle he can add though.

5. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Good luck Zhou. Gotta build up some muscle during this off season

6. IBIZA0408

IBIZA0408 Member

75%(197/260) on the line last year

7. IBIZA0408

IBIZA0408 Member

No, Morey already confirmed with his original team today.
    Zhou is free agent now, he could sign with any team if he want.

8. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Zhou Qi.

Does that mean his jersey will have his name read "zHOU"?

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

No offense, but I think you and others are giving Les too much credit here as an involved owner. That's my only point. If the Rockets had a top 5 pick, I guarantee you Les would be involved, but I think people are losing sight of the fact that this is a super long shot gamble on a stash pick deep in the 2nd round. I very much doubt Les knew who the hell he was before the Rockets picked him.

Now if Morey called Les before and said we are either going to draft this guy or that guy I'm sure Les would be like oh crap... take the Chinese dude, but I doubt it happened like that. You have 2 minutes between picks in the 2nd round, and Les was probably fast asleep by then wine drunk at Martha's Vineyard all day.

He likes to put up the perception that he's a super involved basketball genius owner (by letting everyone know that the coaching pick is HIS CHOICE) but we need to be smart enough to know that's not the case. He couldn't even muster up the energy to come to Houston to interview coaches and made them come to his vacation home. Just screams super involved owner that hand picks 2nd round picks that he personally digs up on the other side of the world with his deep analysis of second round gems.

So while I think the pick is hilarious, I don't believe its actually Les that sought this pick out even if exploded with excitement when he found out they did or found out at the time that they could draft a Chinese dude. Morey could have drafted anyone else and Les would have never known Qi existed I'm sure.

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

From the limited highlights I've watched, he is a lot more coordinated and athletic than I would have thought. Decent finisher, can run the court. Definitely looks like he needs to gain about 50+ pounds

11. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

Disappointed that he's got drafted this low. He has the potential to be better than Yao. Did you question Yao's age when he was drafted?

Yao was almost as thin as Zhou with shorter arm and shorter stand still reach. Yao has a better mid-range jumper, but Zhou has a better mechanics. Zhou's reaction time is substantially faster and he will be a much better shot blocker than Yao.

Definitely a steal for Rockets. Really hope he can come to play in the NBA this year.

12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I think we now know why the poll is the way it is.

Just wow at this delusion.

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

ZOFs? The invasion has begun.

14. basketballholic

If true, kewl. Get his skinny butt over here and get to work asap.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

Kiss the Donkey Baby! Kiss the donkey ( 2017 )

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Pronunciation? Are there alternate pronunciations?

#296 J.R., Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Probably because some people have watched him play, he's still at least a few years away, but this kid has talent and he shouldn't be dismissed simply because he's Chinese.

1 person likes this.
  18. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

This. Though the posters who are overreacting are already playing the race card by insinuating that he was picked for reasons other than his upside and potential ability to stretch the floor at the 4/5 spot

19. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

You'll get to see him pretty soon as the China national team will play the US twice in preparation for the Olympics.

I really think Zhou (his family name) should have been selected much higher. He is extremely long, very skilled (very good jumper, dribbles like guard, has moves on the low block, good passer), very agile for his size, good soft hands. And he has always been the best blocker by a mile wherever he played (the world youth games, the CBA). Had a few truly dominant quad double games against quality opponents (Germany and Turkey) when he was 15. Plus, he is a very smart player, unlike Yi.

The only valid knock on him is his frame. But he has been playing against ex NBA bigs in the CBA night in night out, so it is not like he'll get run over playing the NBA. The other things that hurt his stock are not really founded, like his lack of passion in the game or his age.

I see he could be playing like Porziņģis, just a little less athletic.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

This, particularly the last paragraph.