1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How should our bullpen be used?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by cangrejero51, Jun 18, 2016.

1. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

I think this is the way to do it:

Closer: Harris
    Set Up: Feliz
    7th inning Gregerson if batters are righties, if lefties, then Giles.

Sipp/Neshek to pitch in situations of righties and lefties matchups.

Feldman as the long man.

Devenski should be used in tough situations, and against some lefties as he has a great change up.

Hoyt MUST be in our bullpen. The way Devenski is been used, better move him to the minors and stretch him as a starter and bring Hoyt to the majors. Devenski is been under used, the same way VV and Feliz were used last year.

If Harris can't close a game, then we have to go with Feliz. If not, then Gregerson if they hitters are righties, if not Sipp.

If it is a 3 run lead, then Giles, but i don't trust him in a 2 run or 1 run lead, as he allows way too many runners on base. He is very inconsistent with the slider.

2. HTOWNTAKEOVER

HTOWNTAKEOVER Member

honestly feliz should be in our rotation. i know hinch wont do it, but he should. for the time being.

9th: harris
    8th: gregerson
    7th: feliz
    sipp as the LOOGY,

giles and neshek in when the astros have a huge lead or is trailing badly.

feldman and devenski the long men.

3. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

The bullpen has been more than fine recently. They're gonna lose some games here and there. I don't blame Hinch for not putting Harris out there for a 4th outing in 5 days.

As much as I'd like to see Hoyt get a shot I don't see a huge need there to upset the balance.

4. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

I agree with you BUT, the way we are using Devenski, i believe Hoyt would be more useful. We don't need 2 long relievers in a bullpen.
    I would use Devenski is tough situations because he has pitched very good, but, Hinch does not do it, he is more of a guy that is only going to pitch when games are lost or winning by a lot of innings, or in extra innings and so on.

5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

You want 4 guys used in tough situations, then want to add Hoyt so you can b**** about Hinch not using him in tough situations

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Low leverage:
    6th or before: Devenski
    7th: Feliz
    8th: Neshek
    9th: Giles

High leverage:
    6th or before/extra innings: Feldman
    7th: Feliz
    8th: Gregerson
    9th: Harris

With Sipp deployed as a lefty as needed.

7. The Beard

Harris should close, even when the medical staff says he is out for the day, Harris should ALWAYS close...except when he blows a save then it was stupid to have Harris close on that day when he wasn't good, he should always close on days that he will be good though

Gregerson should always work the 8th inning, except for when he gives up a run or more. If he gives up a run then is was incredibly stupid to use him that day it should have been Feliz that day and Luke only when he isn't going to give up a run

Feliz should work the 7th except on days when Luke is going to give up a run, on days when Luke will give up a run then Feliz should work the 8th but when Luke is not going to give up a run then Feliz should work the 7th. But when Feliz is going to be scored on then he shouldn't pitch at all but when he is going to be good the 7th except when he is needed in the 8th

Devenski has to be used in late inning tight game situations to "develop" him as a high leverage reliever. If Hinch doesn't start doing this then Hinch is just stupid. So Devenski needs to pitch the 7th and 8th and not always Gregerson and Feliz. But if Devenski is going to give up a run he shouldn't pitch in those games he should only be used when he is going to give up a run in the 5th and 6th innings of games that we trail by alot. But other than that he has to start being used in late inning games to develop him that way so he should pitch the 8th over Luke except for when Luke is going to be good then Devenski should pitch the 7th instead of Feliz except when Feliz is going to be good then Devenski shouldn't pitch in close games which is stupid on Hinch part cause how we going to develop him in that role? It's exactly how Hinch ruined Feliz by not using him that way last year which is why Feliz can't always pitch the 7th or 8th because he wasn't developed right by Hinch for that role but when he isn't going to be scored on he should pitch those innings anyway, stupid Hinch should probably not use Devenski in the close games Hinch should send him to AAA or maybe put him in as a starter in place of Keuchel unless Keuchel is going to throw 8 innings and give up 0 runs when we score 1 run or give up only 1 run when we score 2 or else put him in middle relief to save money on the contract and use Devenski in his place in the rotation or send Devenski to AAA and use Feliz in rotation but Feliz should be developed for one inning late game close situations

8. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

I would like for the bullpen to be used in such a way that they never give up a run. Problem solved.

9. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

We have guys in the bullpen that has proved they should pitch more or in high pressure situations, and others not. And also, matchups.

Gregerson kills righties, not lefties.
    Lefties are hitting .195 against Devenksi, why not use him more on matchups, especially now that we don't have Harris in that spot as he is our closer?
    Right now Giles is better vs lefties, not great numbers, but better vs lefties, same with Sipp and Devenski who is really dominating them.

Neshek is very good vs righties, only hitting .122, same with Gregerson.

Now, the question is, why are we not using Devenski THE RIGHT WAY???

Why don't we use Devenski the way we used Harris last year? In the 7th against lefties. Why???????????

Yes my beloved pest, i know you love Hinch, but this is something the manager is responsible with. Why are you not using a guy that lefties hit .194 against him?

Lefties are hitting .189 vs Harris, Devenski is that good, AND WE HAVE SEEN IT, the change up is a plus plus pitch.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

I'm fine with not setting defined roles. Different circumstances call for different roles. Hinch should know more about his players and their strengths than any of us do and should be able to tell what player is best for what situation.

11. stobbartjohn

stobbartjohn Member

If only

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I'm a big fan of rolling a 20 sided dice.

13. conquistador#11

giles 7th/gregerson 8th/ Harris 9th.
    if any of those guys get into a jam, you bring the new position, codenamed "the wolf" which is Feliz.

Dev and feldman long relievers. Sipp is your match up guy.

14. Rox225

I'm your beloved pest? So honored! See, problem is that sometimes guys don't make pitches they need to make, and sometimes hitters make great contact. You mention Neshek vs Righties but he gave up the lead on Friday to a right handed hitter. I would like to see Devenski, not sure why he's become the forgotten child of the pen. I'm ok with Giles in a 2 run lead situation. He just made a bad pitch to one of hotter HR hitters in the game.

15. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Noooooo you are not my beloved pest

And yes, sometimes it will not work but still younplaybwith matchups

16. The Beard

No man, I am the beloved pest, go back away

Can't figure out why he loves me so much though, but whatever

17. The Beard

Is it me? Is it me?

Please say it is me I want to be loved that much

Please say it's me

18. Rox225

Haha that's what I figured, but he confused me when he referred to me as his beloved pest. He's all yours, friend!

19. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Noon my friend, there is only ONE person that "loves" Hinch on the forum, and we all know who he is, unless you are also a Hinch lover??????;)

20. The Beard

Thanks buddy

His rants do make it tough to understand what he is saying sometime

But no one can be hated AND loved at the same time like I can