1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Toddler dragged into the water by an alligator at Disney

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HoustonTexas, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Even a man made body of water needs a means to be filled with water, in this case it flows in from other bodies of water. Central florida has lakes all over the place all connected or a short skip and a hop from one lake to another.

Disney definitely has liability. First of all, no swimming doesn't = alligators. And as a resort, they are hosting people from all over the world who may not be aware of the prevalence of Alligators - that even a lake at a high end resort would have alligators in them. Furthermore given that there have been multi-sightings and a few near tragedies already at the resort and Disney's reactions was to say "those are our pet alligators" without any kind of education or warning to its visitors is definitely negligent.

You can't stop everything from happening. I mean, you go into the ocean, you could get attacked by sharks - who's fault is that? No ones. Sometimes you are just unlucky.

But no one is surprised to see a shark appear in an ocean, but if one appeared in a river it might be a surprise. No one expected to see an alligator in these waters....but Disney did. Naturally it is not going to warn people and scare their guests. And that's where I think they are going to get in trouble.

Look, if that father knew that you can make an alligator let go by gouging it's eye out - maybe he would have done that instead of trying to pry that jaw open. But he was from Nebraska and had no idea.

I think everyone should know basic things about being attacked by bears, snakes, alligators, sharks, and so on. Still, in no way can you blame the parents - that's ridiculous.

2. Buck Turgidson

It's ****ING FLORIDA. Yes it means exactly that.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm shocked at some of the replies here. It's as if some sub-human desire to be a heartless ******* comes out during a tragedy, regardless of who is involved and what has happened. As the father of two who were once precious 2 year olds, sweet and beautiful, that there are those here who find it an opportunity to crack jokes turns my stomach. You should be ashamed, and should search inside for your humanity. It has clearly been misplaced.

1 person likes this.
  4. TL

TL Contributing Member

There is a man made beach.

There are steps to the beach.

There are beach chairs.

There is a movie playing at night. And fireworks

There are multiple people on the beach.

There was a recent gator sighting that had not been publicized.

The park attracts people from all over the world.

It's Disney world. The magical kingdom. The most amazing place on earth. Most children's dream.

I never would have expected gators in that waterway, and I grew up in Louisiana.

Poor poor family. The poor parents. The poor 4 year old that lost her brother. And the poor baby who was just doing what toddlers do - explore. And with a father that must have been just a few feet away.

So sad.

1 person likes this.
  5. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Huge difference between being on public land and being on private property as a paying customer.

That said Disney knows damn well that they would suffer from extreme backlash and damage to their brand if they tried to fight off a lawsuit. I mean let's be realistic a company that exists specifically to market to young children playing hardball when a 2 year old dies on their property?

No fing way. It would be brand suicide. Blank check and probably free tickets for the family for life, name the pond/lake/lagoon after the kid in memoriam with a plaque dedicated to his memory etc. etc. etc.

6. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Disney will probably settle with the family for PR but won't pay out millions or accept responsibility.

7. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I can't read anything past the first page. I'm a single father with full custody of a 6 and 3 year old. They are my entire world and I'd die without them. I cannot imagine what these parents are going through. This is the worst of my worst nightmares.

It literally takes just a flash for something to happen to children. Im sure the parents did not know of the alligators, if they did, they would not have let the toddler be anywhere close to the water.

There is nothing you can ever say or do to these parents that will ever give them peace. I'm at a loss to find anything positive to say.

1 person likes this.
  8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Everybody STFU and listen to him.

9. likestohypeguy

Worst ride ever.

10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hear, hear ....

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's easy to say in hindsight but obviously you haven't spent a lot of time in Florida. People don't associate Orlando nor Disney with alligators - they associate it with the Everglades.

Orlando has tons and tons of lakes and people fish and waterski and swim even in them. A "No Swimming" sign is common in many areas for various reasons. If you aren't from Florida there is no way to know that being near a body of water is dangerous. I mean, even joggers get taken by alligators which pop out of the water and get them and pull them back in.

If you were at a Disney 5 star resort and there was a beach with no swimming you probably wouldn't think an alligator was waiting to grab your child.

12. MystikArkitect

Poor kid.

I dont see how this is possibly Disneys fault though....it's a body of water in Florida. Do people want a full fledged gator patrol like on the Simpsons when the bear snuck into Springfield? Feel horrible for he family but come on man, just being Disney doesn't excuse it from having a really rare and unfortunate occurrence happen there. Sometimes isht happens and it's just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

13. edwardc

edwardc Member

My prayers go out to this family this is so sad.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Everyone is focused on the alligator, but Florida has a massive intrusion of non-native species taking over the ecosystem. Pythons are becoming an alpha predator -- as are Nile Crocodiles... let's look at all the facts.

15. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Why the **** would they create a man-made lake (and beaches) where people aren't expected to get into the water? Simply for scenery? How utterly stupid.

Disney is 100% liable here, in my opinion.

16. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

they are responsible to guarantee that anything accessible to guests is safe

either that or fence that out of their resort

17. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

A warning sign isn't enough?

I'm not trying to be callous. This is a tragedy and in hindsight Disney could improve safety but I'm not seeing negligence on their part. The lake is safe as long as you don't get in.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

They will pay out MILLIONS and no one will be able to talk about it.

Imagine how much money the parents will get if it went to a jury - big bad company that set up the scenario without proper warning vs poor family whose kid got eaten by a gator in their park on their beach.

Yeah, they will be paying and a LOT!

DD

19. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Maybe they could import hippos to control the runaway reptile population. Hippos usually do a good job of keeping the Nile crocs in check. Seriously though...I'm glad I don't live in Florida.

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Words to live by.