1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Random Astros Trade Ideas

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Beard, Jun 13, 2016.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Still a while before the deadline but let's hear some trade ideas

I would like to see us make some "buy" moves but nothing big enough to sell off any top 10 prospects

Wonder what the Angels would say to something like Brady Rodgers and JD Davis for Y Escobar

Rodgers having a good year but not a top prospect. Escobar would give our lineup a much needed contact batting average hitter at a position of need

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I'll play:

Astros get:
    C Jonathan Lucroy
    OF Ryan Braun

Brewers get:
    RHP Francis Martes
    RHP Joe Musgrove
    OF Daz Cameron
    1B Jonathan Singleton
    C Max Stassi
    RHP Aaron West
    LHP Brian Holmes

Lucroy could take Gattis' reps at catcher and also see time at DH and 1B to get full time ABs; then he could be the everyday C next season.
    Braun becomes the middle of the order hitter they need in LF over the next 4 seasons. He would split time between LF and DH this season. Houston gives up 3 Top 100 prospects and 4 fringy guys with varying reasons for optimism, but doesn't give up anyone that is an integral part of the next 3-4 year plan. This may not be enough to get it done as Stearns will probably hold on to Lucroy until someone gives up a package headlined by a truly elite prospect (on par with Bregman). Also, Martes and Cameron may have their stock a little down, which might make it hard to justify them as headliners in a deal like this. Might also be difficult for Houston to justify this deal since they won't truly have a full time need for either player until next season. But given the slim pickings expected this offseason it woukd be prudent for them to address these major needs now if possible.

Astros get:
    RHP Julio Teheran

Braves get:
    RHP David Paulino
    RHP Albert Abreu
    2B/LF Tony Kemp
    RHP Mike Fiers

Houston gets (arguably) a ToR SP to fill out its rotation. Atlanta gets 2 extremely high upside SP plus an established innings eater and a versatile lineup balancing bat. Hard to peg Teherans price since some team may really love him and overpay. And since he has so much team control remaining Atlanta doesn't really have to trade him. Houston might be better served to see how Tyson Ross pitches in the 2nd half and try to trade for him this offseason.

Other targets: Carlos Gonzalez, Evan Longoria, Charlie Blackmon, Stephen Vogt, Sonny Gray, Zack Greinke, Chris Archer, Ervin Santana

3. Airdough

Airdough Member

Is there a version of this game where they're out of it and are entertaining offers for McHugh, Fister, and Fiers?

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yes. I would add Gregerson, Neshek, Sipp, Rasmus, and Feldman.

5. The Beard

I hope not

Would like to see them entertain offers for Fiers and move Devenski into rotation though, with Musgrove on call if Devenski doesn't get it done

6. The Beard

On first one, while i think Lucroy would be expensive, I don't think Braun would cost a lot in terms of prospects, he is playing great but the cost of his contract combined with age and history, wouldn't have to add a lot for him in my opinion.

And I know this sounds crazy at first glance, but if used in a strict platoon Castro and Gattis give is great production at catcher. Lucroy would be awesome, but if I'm moving Musgrove I would rather it be in a deal for an ace, maybe a Sony Gray deal

7. raining threes

If I was Luhnow, I would offer up Gregerson for Moncado or Benintendi.

8. raining threes

Then try to trade for Braun (A package starting with Paulino/Rodgers/Cameron/West Stassi.

Next yrs OF would look like this LF Braun/ CF Benintendi/ RF Springer.

Rasmus $$$$ would cover a yr of Braun and Gregerson's $$$$ would give you $$$$ to get a 1B in FA or by trade.

Gattis would become the everyday C and I would try to find a Conger type backup Cin a small trade.

9. The Beard

Red Sox would tell Luhnow to go F himself if he asked for that

Those two are elite. Would be like us trading Bregman for a set up man

10. raining threes

I dont know about that. The Red Sox are going for a WS and need BP help badly. I would counter with Holt or Swithart.

11. The Beard

You could get Holt for him, possibly Swihart

But guys like Moncada and Benentendi are the types moved in deals for Ace starters, top hitters or big time closers

Don't get me wrong, if they want to give us another Bagwell Anderson I'm ready to roll....just would be shocked to see it

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Here are my Astros-as-sellers hypotheticals:

Orioles get:
    OF Colby Rasmus

Astros get:
    RHP Dylan Bundy
    PTBNL

Baltimore gets the outfield help they need (they tried to sign Rasmus in 2014). Houston gets a high upside arm and a lottery ticket.

Cubs get:
    RHP Luke Gregerson

Astros get:
    OF Elot Jimenez
    LHP Bryan Hudson

Cubs get the bullpen help they need without paying for Chapman/Bailey/Betances. Astros get two really good prospects to fatten their pipeline in the lower minors.

Red Sox get:
    RHP Doug Fister

Astros get:
    LHP Brian Johnson
    LHP Trey Ball

Other trade candidates: OF Carlos Gomez, IF Luis Valbuena, C Jason Castro, IF Marwin Gonzalez, C Evan Gattis, RHP Scott Feldman, RHP Pat Neshek, LHP Tony Sipp, RHP Will Harris

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I'd be very cool with trading Gregerson for Swihart and I think that would be a fair deal for both sides.

14. The Beard

Yea possible catcher, likely good enough stick to be a useable LF. I would be all over that

15. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

If they were able to get someone like Swihart for Gregerson, I would be extremely happy.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Might as well offer Gregerson up for Corey Seager while you're at it.

17. delishman

delishman Member

Think they should be sellers.

Fister+Colby Jack. Car2Go if he can keep playing a little bit.

18. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Red Sox & Orioles REALLY need bullpen help - will we be sellers? I don't think we need Gregerson, but I also don't think he nets much in a trade. However, I could see him heading to either of those teams.

I sincerely hope we aren't buyers - Lunhow has proven to be horrific at "win-now" trading.

19. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Only player of the group i would not trade is Harris

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So Sipp has gone from a must sign to someone you don't mind trading?