1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TECHNOLOGY DAY] Xbox, Apple, and Playstation conferences today

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheRealist137, Jun 13, 2016.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Xbox E3 Press Conference is at 930 AM PST - rumors swirling that a smaller, cheaper Xbox One S will be announced
    Apple WWDC Presser is at 10 AM PST - New MBP, Siri for Mac, WatchOS3, OSX being changed to MacOS, iMessage on Android
    Playstation E3 Presser is at 6 PM PST - PSVR should be talked about more, PS4K not supposed to be at the show

Busy day for tech bloggers. What are you most interested in?

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Hoping for PS Vue to expand to more devices, preferably Apple TV.

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Im curious about apple. I just bought a car that has apple carplay and I'm hoping they update it to some capacity. Perhaps making it wireless with the newest Iphone that is coming out because of new Bluetooth with a higher bandwith.

I also need a new laptop. But I dont think they are going to announce that today.

4. Juxtaposed Jolt

iMessage on Android?

Da fuq?

(Can anyone tell me what sets iMessage apart from regular texting?)

5. HR Dept

The new MacBook Pro will be beastly. I'm really wishing I wasn't in such dire need of one last year. Spent $2k on a Mid-2015 15" MBP late last summer not long after is was released. Just in time for the refresh/overhaul that they're about to receive here pretty soon. Can't say that I didn't know that this was going to happen though, just really needed it at the wrong time.

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yeah I sold my 1st gen retina mbp pro last summer. I had planned on replacing it with a pc or macbook air and it never happened. So I've been using a $100 Chromebook. Which for the money is pretty amazing actually. But yeah... I need something for more than just using the internets ;)

7. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Standard messaging is an ancient standard. In general with an SMS, you really dont run into too many issues with those standards. MMS is really where things get tricky.

There are limits on file size with MMS, limits on the number of people on a message, etc.. MMS is still plagued by a lack of standardization across handsets that results in messaging issues or outright failures.

Also, how an SMS or MMS is sent matters too. Verizon for example, actually has a lot of challenges with long messages. The SMS standard has character limits that carriers work around by stitching multiple messages together. The CDMA carriers (Verizon and Sprint) have a harder time stitching than the GSM carriers which is why messages from CDMA carriers can sometimes show up unstitched.

The short story is that iMessage solves all of this by avoiding the PSTN (the public telephone switches) and going sending messages straight over data. iMessage is free of all of the legacy baggage of SMS and MMS. For the average user, that really doesn't mean much but there are bugs and kinks that are fixed with iMessage. Also because iMessage is free from the telephone network, you can message from any Apple device and iMessage is tied to an account instead of a phone number.

Google has really failed in this department. They have to many messaging apps and lack a coherent messaging strategy to create an equivalent service. So rather than wait for Google to potentially develop a proper alternative to iMessage, Apple just wants to take over the Android messaging market while they can. Frankly its a really smart move on their part. Google has screwed up over and over on messaging so Apple is right to come in and finish them off. Plus Microsoft has slowly been building Skype up as an equal alternative so Apple has every interest in ensuring that Microsoft doesn't succeed either.

8. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

RCS + Allo to save the day?

9. HR Dept

Sling TV announced for Apple TV. Where you at PlayStation Vue?

10. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

RCS is having a hell of a time taking off. RCS screwed up and overstandardized everything. Actually building support for RCS is a nightmare because of the amount of work required. RCS standards actually date back to 2008 which predates all modern messaging methods.

Unfortunately Whatsapp and iMessage came along and took all the market share while creating vastly superior implementations. Plus in the case of Android, Google has nothing to gain financially from implementing support for RCS. RCS is extremely expensive to implement and for the carriers that do have it, it stinks because cross-carrier RCS isn't available yet.

Google should've bought Whatsapp when they had the chance and baked it into Android as its equivalent of iMessage.

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Might have to make the switch to Sling. Anybody else have it/enjoy it?

12. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Next gen Xbox to support VR and 4K. What a time.

13. HR Dept

Haven't used it personally, but from all accounts its definitely inferior to Vue.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

so will the app be good?

i have

xbox, amazon, iOS and roku apps

all of them are buggy

15. Caesar

Caesar Member

So 4K gaming won't be happening til next winter? What about the PS4k or Neo? Same as the XB1 Slim? Just HDR 1080p gaming with 4k video?

Also, does 4k video mean just streaming 4k netflix and other apps or will it also play 4k blu ray discs?

16. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Google offered $10 billion. They tried.

17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

From what I've read it looks that way, but I have an Xbox instead of a Playstation.

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Disappointing conference from Apple. No new hardware, some intriguing software but that's to be expected.

19. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

When is iPhone 10 coming out?

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Haa not a single mention of Carplay I think. Really all I want to do is have Spotify on the first page, instead of having to swipe over to the next page. It's extrmely stupid that you can not do that.