1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where do you go from "digging your own grave"?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by shastarocket, Jun 10, 2016.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

There was a post yesterday on r/nba about some ex-Celtics sideline reporter making racially insensitive comments during a segment for Barstool Sports.

Long story short, she got canned this morning from her current employer, Fox Sports Sun.

This thread isn't specifically about the severity of her "crimes", but here's the info if interested:

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/tvra...cause-fox-sports-to-boot-emily-austen/2281130

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/commen...on_celtic_sideline/?ref=share&ref_source=link

Regardless of how feel about her actions, I ask that you set your emotions aside and look at what happens now in her eyes.

Basically, how do you recover from something like this?

-------------

Consider the following:

She was solely responsible for her actions
    What she has grinded and struggled for much of her adult life for has evaporated overnight
    This is likely, the career she is most passionate about
    She can likely never work in communications ever again
    Prospective employers in other fields may also decline her because racism transcends and the internet never forgets
    She's young (27) but old enough where "starting again" feels incredibly daunting

Most significantly, this pointless interview and a few empty words in mere minutes will haunt her through (at least) whatever happens next

----------

What happens to people like this?

She'll obviously apologize, but how much of a difference will that make?

Is her only recourse to totally ignore all her hard work and choose a new career?

How do you even begin to approach that mentally?

2. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

I would suggest she do ethnically diverse p*rn...its sort of like sports and shows she has an open mind...

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

she has no choice but to go full throttle. that will be her act/niche, start a hot chicks bigot sports coverage online and present it as an act. that's how comedians do it. it wasn't "her" it was her persona/act.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I bet she could get a job with a certain political campaign, which will remain nameless, tomorrow. Seriously, those comments ruined her career in a moment. What was she thinking?

5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Barstool sports is full of stupid things. Not a real surprise.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

She's either really dumb, really ballsy, or really racist...maybe a combination of the 3...considering the guys actually said on camera that anything recorded is a live feed.

I'd be surprised if she is hire-able within journalism ever again.

7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Pics to see if she has a future?

8. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

you jest - but just as trump has an inordinate amount of followers, so to would this.

she's young and attractive. she screwed up but will be just fine. will she have to change gears regarding profession? sure. but don't ever discount the racist nature of man - there will be some business owner who agrees with her line of thinking and will hire her quickly.

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

She's a or was a sideline reporter not a journalist. She'll either end up in p*rn or get a better paying gig as a shock jock on radio.

10. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I believe this is her.

[​IMG]

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

EDIT: didn't mean to get political, but she does look like she could do cable news, for one certain network or another...

[​IMG]

12. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Funny. But seriously, though... She can get a gig at FoxNews. They would see hiring her as a thumb in the eye of liberals. AND she looks the part.

#12 JeffB, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

That would be funny since she got fired by FOX sports.

14. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I tried, I really did... But **** her.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Employers might be gun-shy about putting a mic in her hand, but there's plenty of adjacent jobs I'm sure she could be considered for. I won't worry too much about her prospects.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

She should just lay low for a few weeks until everyone moves on to the next internet outrage and forgets all about this one.

17. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Or she could marry someone like Donald Trump.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

On that note, thought I'd add this from her LinkedIn page

"Emily told her class in 7th grade that she wanted to be a sports reporter when she grew up and has been pursuing her dream ever since."​

So sad, Emily. :(

Actually, I think she'll be fine in this age. Her actual sideline reporting record of professionalism for the Tampa Bay Rays, Orlando Magic and Boston Celtics will trump mistakes while trying to be funny on internet streaming 40min "show" that is exploring a couch-lounging setting.

I'm sure Barstool Sports is getting a lot of publicity from this, and increased views.

#FAUXRAGE

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Maybe she was trying to get a job with Fox News. I am sure they are chomping at the bit to sign her.

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

not kidding at all. she should go for it, full blown lenny bruce style sports coverage by like minded hot chicks.