1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Internal Improvement

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, Jun 9, 2016.

1. sydmill

sydmill Member

I believe that we are going to need to see some improvement from the likes of Harrell, Dekker and McDaniels to turn this thing around, what are the opinions about these guy's potential? Are any of them possible contributors next year or are all JAGs who shouldn't be considered part of the rotation?

2. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Not trying to be mean, but honestly what did these guys even do?

3. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

There is no improvement that those 3 could make to turn this thing around. Strange choice of people for suggesting improvement... You thinking a 7th man is what this team needs?

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Certified scrub. If he learns to keep his obnoxious mouth shut, that would be an improvement

5. sydmill

sydmill Member

Unless you think there is an actual chance that KD signs here, what are you counting on? Brewer to become a 40% shooter? Ariza to tighten up his handles? Where do you guys suggest we look for someone to actually help Harden out (before he walks in a couple of seasons)? Personally, I have also written Dekker off. Harrell and McDaniels, on the other hand, have shown reason to believe that they can be a part of a rotation in the NBA. KJ is a jump shot away from replacing Brewer in the line up and Harrell put up 23 & 9 in the D league this year (compared to TJ's 19 & 9 in his D league stint). If one or both Harrell and McDaniels improve to the point that they can be contributors, it makes it much easier to fill in around James. IDK, that's just my 2 cents.

6. dje243

dje243 Member

LOL the second I read the OP I knew you would be in here saying this exact thing.

7. dje243

dje243 Member

Also now I get why you hate him so much. He said something on twitter that pissed you off.

8. #Pursuit

#Pursuit Member

McDaniels showed athleticism finishing dunks at the rim and Harrell rolled strong to the rim, while also being able to shoot if the team would let him. Dekker broke his back lmao

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

They all need to shoot better basically...Harrell should also rebound a bit better imo.

10. dream2franchise

The trio of Harrell, KJ and Capela has SO much potential defensively. All long and athletic.

Looking forward to seeing what Bez does with them.

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

They won't play unless they can shoot/score.

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

KJ needs to do nothing but put up 3 pointers this summer and get a head start on D'Antoni's system. There is a chance he will develop into a rotation player, but it's looking a but unlikely here.

Harrell I'm sure is going to benefit big time from D'Antoni's system. I actually wonder if he could play some backup C this coming season. His attitude this summer will say a lot about this guy's future.

13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I like Harrell alot... dude's got a motor that doesn't quit. He hustles on d and hustles on rebounding - not great at either, but he puts forth the effort... I could see the dude evolving into a Faried level guy... Most every box score that I looked at over the course of the season had the team + for his minutes....
    KJ has potential... if he could get some consistent minutes he could develop into a solid backup...
    Decker... no opinion other than he appears to be a wasted draft pick at this point... but maybe he gets healthy and surprises... who knows...

14. abaker28

abaker28 Member

All 3 need to stay even if it's for the fact we can't have 15 x $10mill (min) type players on the team.
    We've constantly turned over the young kids and we have an awful draft pick this year.
    Keep the 3 of them for another season. Harrell and KJ have shown promise (but not been given much of a chance) and Dekker despite what everyone thinks of him, he went high enough in the draft, so worth seeing what he can do.

15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

According to some this is all you need to know: Dekker is a total bust at age 22. And you should hate his guts.

16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Can KJ McDaniels become the Q Richardson type of player in D'Antonis system?

Hard nosed hustler who jacks up a ton of 3s?
    Get him launching them all summer, see how he goes.

17. sydmill

sydmill Member

Dekker is a big reach in my mind. Harrell, I expect to see a jump similar to TJ's who averaged 12 & 7 his first year up from RGV. KJ, as most have said, just needs to develop his outside j and he'll make an improvement over brewer.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I honestly need Beverly to work on his mid range game more than anything
    Him getting into the lane only to come out or throw a bad pass is past old

Everyone needs to work on being deadly from 10 and in
    Good from 15 and in

Rocket River

19. htownking

htownking Member

I think Dekker and Harrell will both get PT this season. Dekker has the versatile offensive upside that MDA likes and Harrell is all hustle which will get him on the field.

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

harrell showed a nice touch from mid range this season...

if he can extend that out to the 3pt line he can actually earn some minutes at the 4. if not, he'll be a backup 5 in MDA's system. and since he's too small to really play the 5, he will probably not get any minutes.

same for KJ, if he can hit the 3 he will play, if not, he wont.

dekker i think can actually get minutes at the 4 in MDAs system. he can either work on hitting the 3 (like everyone in MDAs system will need) and be our stretch 4, or he can bulk up and just become a decent rebounder / quick rotation defender. that's probably the way to go for him since it requires more effort and IQ than skill. i think dekker can provide an advantage at the 4 with passing, quickness, speed, and ball handling... whereas at the 3 he's basically at a disadvantage in all of those.