1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Muslims in Germany demand the right to make the University of Berlin into a mosque

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, May 27, 2016.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I never stated the onus is on the university. The university does have a right to say no. I never stated otherwise. On the flip side, the Muslim students have a right to protest said decision. Them being Muslim, doesn't exclude their right to protest.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Not in Germany. That would be like one out of a million that does that. I actually knew someone who did that. He was very intelligent, but then somehow turned crazy, and into a religious zealot. A harmless one, but he would spend all day every day in church, go to people's weddings, funerals, etc. A real weirdo.

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It doesn't. But I and others have a right to disagree with their demands, and to dislike them for making the demand.

4. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Can you link me a source that can back up that assertion? I've read a few different ones:

http://www.yenisafak.com/en/world/t...lin-shuts-down-its-50-year-old-masjid-2432659

The Technical University of Berlin (TU Berlin) announced on Monday that it has shut down its 50-year-old Muslim prayer room. The university also stopped reserving the sports center at the campus for Friday prayers.
    Hashem al-Kuhlani, the head of the Yemeni Students' Club, one of the Muslim-based clubs at the university, said that the masjid opened 50 years ago and the sports center had been used for Friday prayers for 20 years.

So ATW, do you think it is OK for the university to threaten to arrest these people if they pray on the university grounds?

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

That's the funny part. Yes, they should. And you bet they would be heard loud and clear if this was some wacko Christian group acting like that.

6. fchowd0311

:confused:

Name me a relate-able instance where us liberals were being hypocrites... I dare you to.

I've not seen a single liberal fight against PRIVATE religious themed clubs were INDIVIDUALS were allowed of THEIR OWN VOLITION to designate a room if the school allows it to for their meetings and religious services.

Being born and raised in Sugar Land, I've never seen anyone irked by the MSA or Christian clubs meeting after school in a room and doing what ever they do.

Now, starting a prayer in an actual classroom as a class is actually being taught?? **** no.

But of course, you don't have the nuance to differentiate between those two VERY DIFFERENT situations.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The university cannot arrest anyone. They could call the police if someone disturbs public peace on their grounds. Whether ostentatious mass prayers, trying to shove one's own way of living down everyone else's throats and taking up space designated for different purposes fulfill these criteria depends on the circumstances, I guess.

I think most students are at that university to STUDY. If I was a student there and sat in the garden and tried to study and some wacko religious group started reciting prayers (all of which has nothing to do with the actual purpose of a university, which is STUDYING), you bet I would feel disturbed and annoyed. And so did many students affected by these ostentatious public prayers.

#267 AroundTheWorld, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Would this be an issue if radical preachers and non-University students were not found on campus?

I think I understand ATW's perspective, but the solution isn't to "push" the Muslims off-campus.

I believe the first step would be to ban non-university students from using the facilities. This would go a long way in limiting exposure to extremists. Beyond that, dialogue must be opened up between the University and the MSA in order to prevent the situation from deteriorating again.

Let me be clear, I am not advocating for the University to actively regulate who is an extremist preacher and who isn't. Free speech allows for idiots to talk as well. The onus belongs to the MSA.

Also, if the University doesn't already provide accommodations for ANY other student groups, then it has no responsibility to do so for the religious groups.

#268 shastarocket, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  9. fchowd0311

People really have a very thin line of what constitutes "shoving xxx down one's throat".

I mean, damn, I must of been the poster boy for oppression and having **** shoved down my throat in the military since I was in MANDATORY formations where Christian chaplins formed mass prayers. So... never heard you b****ing about that ATW.

Muslims plraying on the street? Solution? Walk around them? OMG, the sight of Muslims praying is shoving their culture DOWN MY THROAT!!

Again ATW, stop sensationalizing.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

If they are on the street praying, just light a bunch of stink bombs.

:)

Infringing on the populace is an entitlement issue, pray in your own house, or temple or mosque, not disrupting others.

That is shoving it down the throat of the more enlightened populace.

DD

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

But they aren't "pushed off-campus". They can use the campus to STUDY, just like everyone else. The only ones trying to "push" anything here are the Islamist Muslims in question. They are trying to force the university to provide them with premises, and they are trying to force all other students to accomodate and witness their religious activities. Again: The purpose of a university is to allow people to STUDY. It is not a church or a mosque. Everyone, including Muslims, is welcome and free to use the university for its intended purpose. And everyone, including Muslims, is free to silently pray individually to themselves whenever they please, including at the university - thoughts are free. The issue arises when people expect to use university grounds for their religion and/or try to turn the university into a place of worship for ostentatious public activities and therefore shove their religious activities down everyone else's throat.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

How would I b**** about that, it's the first time I hear about it? I don't think it should be happening.

13. fchowd0311

Is this Communist Russia and China where if one is religious they must hide it and only perform their religious activities in secret in their own private house?

Dude, you are becoming more deranged by the day. I bet many of those Muslim students who are praying are about to graduate in a field that you wouldn't dare try to attempt. SO stop with the 'I'm more enlightened than thou' routine.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I'm against ostentatious public prayer. I find it annoying and intrusive. I'm sure I started a thread about that a long time ago, and people were outraged. But I have not changed my mind.

15. fchowd0311

I doubt you would ever create a single article abut Christians shoving their religion down other's throats dude. Let's be honest here. Your thread starting history is enough evidence. Even if you believe 90% of the world's religious persecution is performed by Muslims, you act as if you would actually care enough if you knew before hand of how the U.S. military is obviously inherently biased towards Christianity.

You wouldn't care and you would never post about it.

16. fchowd0311

Okay... but that doesn't mean that humans don't have a right to public prayer.

BTW, where do you draw the line? Can a Muslim walking down the street recite a sura as they walk or can a Christian perform street preaching?

17. DaDakota

Supporting Member

They can pray all they want, same as any other religion - just not out in the middle of the street or quad, or if it bothers any other citizen by infringing on their right of way, or rights.

I didn't say I was more enlightened than you, but I certainly do not believe in religion at all.

DD

18. fchowd0311

I'll be honest. The very moderate Muslims would be requesting the same thing here in the States, except that the vast majority of campuses would oblige along with the requests from other religious entities.

I guess that makes them 'extremist'.

19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Sure they can, they can pray wherever, as long as it does not infringe upon other people who don't believe or follow their path.

No one cares if folks are religious - but they don't get any special privileges because of it.

Isn't the path into heaven enough?

DD

20. fchowd0311

How is praying in the quad infringing on anyone's rights?

It seems like a purely aesthetic issue that people are b****ing about...

OMG I CAN ACTUALLY VISUALLY SEE THE RELIGION OF TERROR DEVOTEES PRAYING!!! OMG