1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Muslims in Germany demand the right to make the University of Berlin into a mosque

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, May 27, 2016.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

You must not have seen the Google Map I posted. There are tons of mosques within a 10 minute drive.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Even then, I really don't see the problem with allocating a room for Muslims to pray. Every campus I've been on does it and they do it for other religions also and I've not met one person irked by it.

Maybe we just live in totally different paradigms. Maybe in German schools they don't have these school clubs that designate a room for them. Totally normal here in the States.

3. dmoneybangbang

But are they demanding an entire Mosque like your headline says?

4. dmoneybangbang

And how many Churches?

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Maybe in the prayer rooms your universities had there were no extremist hate preachers leading the prayers?

The imams that were leading the prayers there came from this organization:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hizb_ut-Tahrir

Did you have Imams in the prayer rooms at your schools which came from that organization?

6. dmoneybangbang

It is very normal to have prayers rooms on campuses, public and private.

7. dmoneybangbang

I'm sorry, what's the relevance here? That extremists have attended universities?

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

That publicly funded grounds in a state university are being used by extremists to spread hate propaganda, under the guise of religion being exercised in a prayer room.

9. dmoneybangbang

10. fchowd0311

Okay.. So have a prayer room and make sure that extremist imams don't come to the school?

Those two notions are no mutually exclusive...

That's assuming your claims about extremist imams at the school are true. You have to understand my reservation to believe you as you are kinda known to make premature accusations.

11. dmoneybangbang

And this is happening at the University of Berlin?

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

They are, because you would control content of religious activity if you started supervising what is actually said in such a room - and that is much more than a slippery slope. Why would a state university even go through that trouble and where would the resources come from and who would pay for that? The easier solution is to close the room and tell people they can pray individually in private or go their house of worship if they want organized prayer.

Link is in German, but the Frankfurter Allgemeine is the most reputable newspaper in Germany (and, by the way, also using the headline "The university as a mosque")

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/feuilleton/tu-berlin-die-universitaet-als-moschee-14122316.html

I guess you can use Google Translate if you really care.

13. fchowd0311

Actually did my own research and decided not assume the claims of ATW were correct.

Checked out Google maps. There are MULTIPLE churches directly adjacent and in walking distance to the school for the students who I assume most WALK and not drive.

In order for a Muslim student to walk to a mosque from campus they would have to cross MULTIPLE major freeways or whatever they call them in Germany(autobahn?).

For a Muslim to attend a mosque from campus by walking they would have to cross 'highway 100'. ATW, I don't know the proper nomenclature for your highways but it's basically a '100' in a blue hexagon.

I guess the end all solution here would be to build or rent out a office space adjacent to the campus for a mosque so Muslims students can walk to their place of worship like the devout Christian students.

#253 fchowd0311, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Who should pay for that?

So what? First of all - 99.9 % of nominal Christians certainly wouldn't leave the university to go to a church. At most, the most religious ones would go to church for one hour on a Sunday. That's it. And that is maybe 1 % of them.

That's not the university's problem. Just like where a church is relative to the university is not the university's problem.

15. fchowd0311

Who ever wants to or is willing to? To place the onus on the students who have no annual income to finance their own mosque is rather asinine. No Christian student was asked to build their own church so they can go attend their religious services by walking.

Or the school can just designate a damn prayer room just like every other god damn campus I've ever set foot in.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Please substantiate this claim.

17. fchowd0311

Very devout Christians don't attend religious services only once a week buddy. Some go every day.
    They have other things besides Sunday service such as Bible study.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

What onus? How is it in ANY WAY the university's issue where their students want to practice whatever their religion is OUTSIDE the university's premises? The university is not placing any onus on anyone. If anyone wants to pray, they can do it quietly and privately wherever they are. If anyone wants to go to to wherever their next place of worship for whatever their religion is, they can do it. It has nothing to do with the university, and neither should it have anything to do with them.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I posted the article above. It's in German. You can use Google Translate. If you need help with a translated part, I am willing to assist.

20. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Shouldn't the illiberals be going nuts about a group of people attempting to impose their religious values on everyone else? Freedom FROM religion?