1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I Choose to Stay a Fan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dandorotik, Jun 4, 2016.

1. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I am making this declaration after many hours and days of contemplation about this entire disaster of a season and an offseason which has not appeared to be any better.

I choose to stay a loyal fan.

I completely understand those who want to depart and hold no ill will towards them. It is understandably difficult to see a team under-achieve year after year after year after year after year. It sucks to see fan bases such as Miami, San Antonio, and Oakland, or San Francisco, or San Jose, or however the **** you characterize Golden State (the only franchise that can't use either a city or state name- GMAFB, Warriors) - fan bases that are no more deserving than ours to be rewarded with a championship, celebrating year after year.

If it affects you to the point where it affects your overall well-being or day-to-day activities, it is best to quit. Sports just aren't worth that type of pain.

I choose to stay because I'm naive. I choose to stay because I'm oddly hopeful that some day, at some point, my team will relive the glory of 1994 and 1995. I choose to stay because, quite frankly, I'm too ****ing old to move and/or take stock in another team - yes, I'd rather be a miserable Rockets fan than a happy Spurs fan (call me crazy- it's fine). I choose to stay because, as much as the day-to-day watching of my team has been unbearable over the past year, going to the Toyota Center twice a year is still a fun experience regardless of the outcome.

I choose to stay because I'm too dumb to quit. Or I'm too smart to let a ball in a basket affect me other than the occasional flash of anger. Or something in between.

Rockets, Texans, and Astros: I choose to stay. If you would kindly return the favor by reaching the summit, I would sincerely appreciate it.

1 person likes this.
  2. theREALDEALkid

A Real Fan Never Leaves.

3. clos4life

clos4life Member

You can be a fan and refuse to support them either in forums or financially. You don't reward bad decision making while still hoping the team manages to be decent despite ownership's crap decisions.

1 person likes this.
  4. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I wouldn't want to be a fan of any team that would accept me as a fan.

1 person likes this.
  6. Marteen

Marteen Member

That's cool, but there are far worse seasons than this past one to actually contemplate on staying as a fan.

7. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

8. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

I think the thing that sucks most is that there are people who try to take away from our seasons in which didn't end in a championship. Maybe none of those seasons are truly special, but there were truly some memorable moments in all those seasons. Well, most of them at least.

We should start a thread on memorable moments since the 1995-1996 season to now. Things we will always remember and cherish. A positive thread for once. No more debbie downers or posters being bi-polar or having meltdowns or hate induced opinions of certain players, owners, or coaches.

1 person likes this.
  9. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I choose to think Les Alexander is a ****.

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Not since http://www.nytimes.com/1987/01/14/sports/lloyd-and-wiggins-of-rockets-banned-for-drug-use.html

I've been here as a fan for all of that. Yes, we've had worse records than last year, but we've never had a worse season. Typically when we have a bad record it's because of terrible injuries or our players aren't good. They're trying to win every night - it's just beyond their control.

This year Morey assembled one of the most talented teams in Houston Rockets history. We were all anticipating a 60+ win season. Then, every single game, we watched them play like they'd rather be at the strip club.

At some point, I had to quit watching. It was just too painful to watch this team not give a **** about Rockets basketball when I'm so passionate about it.

No. Not since 87. This is the single worst season since 1987. And I really don't see how anyone can argue otherwise.

1 person likes this.
  11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I'm with you

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

^^^ These two posts pretty much say everything I feel now about the Rockets.

Of course, I'm not going to root for any other team. If anyone asks me, I will tell them I am a Rockets fan. But will I watch every game with passion like I have done for more than 3 decades? Probably not.

There were three times in my Rockets fandom that pushed me to want to quit watching:
    1. The disintegration of a potential dynasty because of cocaine and Sampson's injuries

2. Scottie Pippen joining the Rockets

3. Now

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

We are all here with you. Go HOUSTON ROCKETS!

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Fan of team, not management.

DD

16. Mr. Motiejunas

I love it. Til the end of times. I will remain loyal. Hope is all we can do.

17. varughese.arun

Till death do us part. All due to Hakeem

18. thejav

thejav Member

All these idiots that say they are done are obviously still going to watch..

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Amen. What fun would it be to suddenly, shudderingly become a Dubs fan? There is a price to pay for fandom, and I pay it every single day.

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

I admit that the departing of Jerry Lin rocked my faith.

But Brewer gave me a new hope of life.

1 person likes this.