1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Notes: Free Agency, Beasley, D’Antoni

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fawadhm, May 29, 2016.

1. fawadhm

fawadhm Member

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d8y8m?...edium=newsletter&utm_campaign=houston-rockets

Rockets Notes: Free Agency, Beasley, D’Antoni

May 28th 2016 at 5:11pm CST by Arthur Hill

The Rockets should concentrate on shooters in free agency if their primary targets don’t work out, recommends Kevin P. Smith of Real GM. Houston is hoping to meet with Kevin Durant and Al Horford, two of the top names in the free agent class, but if neither player comes to Houston, Smith believes 3-point marksmen should be the priority in new coach Mike D’Antoni’s offense. The writer mentions Brandon Jennings and Jerryd Bayless as possible backups to Patrick Beverley, and suggests Ryan Anderson and Mirza Teletovic as potential front court prospects. Smith also says the Rockets could have interest in Marvin Williams, Jeff Green, Derrick Williams, Marreese Speights and Al Jefferson.
    •Two late-season additions, Michael Beasley and Andrew Goudelock, are likely to stay in Houston for another season, Smith says in the same piece. Beasley, who played most of last season in China, averaged 12.8 points per night in 20 games after joining the Rockets. Houston has a $1.4MM team option on Beasley for 2016/17. Goudelock only made it into eight games after signing with the Rockets in March, but a $1,015,696 team option gives him a chance to stick around.
    •Rockets owner Leslie Alexander chose the “big, splashy name” when he hired D’Antoni this week, charges Brian T. Smith of The Houston Chronicle. Smith writes that the Rockets should have hired Hornets assistant Stephen Silas, and that D’Antoni is the wrong choice to bring the discipline and emphasis on defense that the Rockets need to improve on a 41-41 season.
    •Free agents will be more likely to consider Houston because of D’Antoni’s history of helping his players land big contracts, writes J.A. Adande of ESPN.com. Adande lists Joe Johnson, Shawn Marion, Amar’e Stoudemire and Jodie Meeks as players who struck it big in free agency after playing in D’Antoni’s up-tempo system.

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

Yeaaaaah, Jennings is not coming here to be a backup. Especially not to Bev.

And apparently, ESPN thinks we should sign past Suns, who are currently mediocre, like IsoJoe, Matrix and STAT. The same ESPN who wants to be the "worldwide leader in sports," comes up with that brilliant idea? :rolleyes:

3. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Misread. It's giving examples of guys who hit it big partially due to playing in MDA's system, not guys the Rockets should sign.

4. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Word on Clutch Avenue was that no FAs would want to come play for MDA!

5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Brandon Jennings is garbage. If he has the mentality he's too good to be somebody's backup, he needs to erase that thought right now.

6. OTMax

OTMax Member

That list of players could be almost any team chasing them, not particular to our situation with MA. We would've chased most without MA.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lol Beverly is not starting on a MDA coached team in the first place.

8. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Agreed. He's going to get moved or become a backup which makes complete sense for an MDA system.

I want to keep him as a backup, but I doubt it. Fans are about to see a complete rehaul which might actually be for the better.

9. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

We should be shopping Beasley. He doesn't fit our philosophy, but he has value given that he's making the min. Could be a good bench scorer for a contender.

Beasley+2nd rounder for a mid 1st?

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

What if he hits starts hitting 40% of his 3pt shots? Could he start for an MDA team then?

11. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

Explain please. Whose philosophy? Yours? Beas is a perfect fit for Dank Tony

12. Lightsnowaction

He did shoot 40% from 3, and still is a well below average starting PG. And also no to targeting offense only player.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Why is that?

He isn't ball dominant and hits 40% of his 3's.

It is unlikely that the Rockets under MDA will get a ball dominant point guard, that will be Harden's role.

I think the team will attempt to upgrade at PG, but not because of the fit issues.

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Agreed. Beverley fits just fine next to Harden, even in D'Antoni's system. But also agree that upgrades will be sought at several positions, including PG. Hell, they might find a "better" (offensive) PG but Bev might still start. Kind of like the role I was hoping Lawson could play this past season.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't think Beverly is really all that much of a good compliment to Harden like people think here. Offensively he's average at best but not only that but his shooting leaves a lot to be desired and when playing up tempo ball so does his decision making.

I don't think Harden will be playing the Steve Nash role under MDA and I'll be surprised if by the end of the season Beverly is still the starting the PG.

Yeah Beverly can shoot but he's not out there to bring space to the floor. Teams don't really mind him shooting all that much.

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What kind of logic is this man....

If people don't like Beverley's passing, I get it, fair argument.

But saying he can't shoot over and over is just showing ridiculous bias against him, its utterly silly that you are one of a decent sized group of people that trash Beverley for his shooting.

The man shot 40% on 1.7 makes per game in the 71 games he played, he made 124 three's this season. You guys are disqualified from saying something he can't shoot, or things like he's not a real shooter, and " he doesn't stretch the floor, other teams don't care if he shoots ". He has a career average of 37% on 1.6 makss per game as well.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Sergio Llull.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Read my post and now find where I said "He can't shoot." In fact I said quite the opposite.

If you want to be mad at anyone then be mad at opposing defenses that often leave him open despite these numbers.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not really, he fits D'Antoni pretty well, he's a fast paced athletic player who is always looking to shoot and he plays no defense whatsoever. If that doesn't scream D'Antoni I don't know what does.

20. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Thats my point. OP wants to find obscure shooters to surround James Harden on an MDA coached team and then points to Beverley as someone who can't play in an MDA offense but he shoots 40% from 3.

Personally I would love to have Conley if we can get him. We need upgrades at all positions.