1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Sources: Rockets leaning towards D'Antoni is also a way to show Dwight the door

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 18, 2016.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

If Dantoni is going to coach this team and we're not going to be good, I don't want us to be mediocre.

Last place in WC and top picks for years to come. Make Les eat his own crap.

2. opticon

opticon Member

The staff is not finalized yet. That is my guess.

3. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

It's a head scratcher only to someone (like yourself) who looks at professional basketball realistically. But that's not the fantasy world occupied by Les. I simply do not believe that this was Daryl Morey's doing. NO this is a Les Alexander cluster**** all the way. He looks a Harden and envisions him as a super version of Step Curry or Steve Nash in his prime. Hence, he always wanted D'Antoni because his offenses were high-powered and fun to watch. Their so-called "comprehensive search" was nothing more than a PR exercise that was designed to give the appearance of them undertaking a serious search for HC. Les believes that the drinkers of the red koolaid will continue to flock to the Toyota Center to watch a team that has no real chance of contending as long as it is "fun" to watch.

Now I just can't wait for them to start with the tired old BS about "surrounding him with a strong staff that can teach defense" as if that will make everything better. They just tried the same formula with McHale and it worked out soooo well. I question and will continue to question the logic of hiring a HC who is so flawed on one side of the ball that you have to compensate for his deficiencies going in. But it's apparent that Les isn't interested in fielding a competitive team because to him basketball is about entertainment and not about winning.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rox11

Rox11 Member

What if that was the only reason they hired him? Makes sense, hire Mda to get rid of DH, then fire Mda after 11 games?

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Although I will always support the Rockets (and waste my time on this website :) ), I have to agree with you about Les.

Why go through the motions of a comprehensive coaching search (except to appease Morey?) when you're obviously going to hire the guy who revolutionized basketball (dramatic pause).....10 or 12 years ago?

"They see right through this, Les. They suspect we're trying to push Dwight out!"

"Well, aren't we?" asks Les, while placing another Legos piece to the little castle he's building on his desk. "Hmn. You're right. Line up another couple of interviews. And maybe we can sweat D'Antoni's agent down a million or so on that annual salary."

Gawd, it's awful. The first time D'Antoni was available Les pounced.

I don't know. Maybe this is some way to attract our Euro-stash players to sign with us, or draw certain other players who like that style of basketball (run, shoot, run, shoot, wheeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!) Maybe it'll even work.

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With D'Antoni as coach, I won't renew my ball streams subscription. I'll still follow the teams, and watch what's available, but I won't pay to see every game they I've done with League Pass, and Ball Streams.

There were times this year, when I wish I could cancel. Maybe I'll regret it at some point, and subscribe again. But I doubt it.

7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I just know Cyberx is going to explain this. I just know it.

[​IMG]

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Source: Rockets leaning towards D'antoni is also a way to show fans the door.

3 people like this.
  9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, Les being Les. And it's just getting worse. I honestly thought he would let Daryl have this one.(seeing all the angles) This hire really was for the soul of the franchise for awhile. Les has deteriorated to the point that he can no longer hide what he is from the folks he was fooling. He has become an abomination of an owner. Right there with Drayton. Yes, Yes..I know, they're great businessmen. But, with no moral compass. Contrary to popular belief the two aren't mutually exclusive.
    Oh, we'll win games, most likely make the playoffs, but be relegated to a perennial 4 -6 team...without a real chance of winning it...and this is as good as it going to get .... a carnival, with game totals of 235+ harkening back to the Nuggets of old.
    At the helm, P.T. Barnum.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

11. basketballholic

Dead on take.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Epic post.

13. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

He's speculating but it would be a very cold, calculated, and awesome move to say that D'Antoni and the Rockets failed to agree to terms and they are hiring Stephen Silas instead.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Welcome to my world.

DD

15. Henbawkins

Henbawkins New Member

Just fyi ballstreams is dead, so you can't renew it anyways

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

This is news to me.

17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

This makes me glad that I dropped League Pass back in 2009 when Morey signed Ron Artest. I've saved a boatload of money. I don't see a need to watch all of their games anymore - if their games get televised on ESPN, TNT or Fox Sports, then I'll try to watch but I won't go out of my way to pay extra just to see this trainwreck.

1 person likes this.
  18. hakeemthagreat

Daryl had McHale & JB. He has Moreyball. He's had roster control. Maybe it's time Les goes in a different direction

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

We'll be good enough to be talked about as Harden is top 5 when he's committed, but "good enough" only means getting exposed in the early rounds when real elite teams switch it to another level while we're still dicking around with armchair words like "hustle","heart","energy".

Those three should be implied but are flaky when luck is against you during long stretches in a seven game series.

PlayStation offense 3.0a

20. sabesque

sabesque Member

I can't completely agree with this. The two most important hires for the basketball side of the organization are the general manager and the head coach. Probably on fairly equal footing. Being completely rational, it doesn't make sense for the owner to relinquish control of this hire to the general manager. It's Les's team. And les gets to decide what the "moral" compass of the organization should be on the account of him putting up the money to buy the team.

This hire (or more accurately, the hiring process) is less about the owner waiting to be in charge of basketball decisions and more about balancing the two more important basketball decision makers on the team. He's saying that front office doesn't get to completely dictate style of play anymore. I can understand why an owner would be tired of the moreyball system that devolved into isos and ISO clanking corner threes to the extent that he would want to be balance out that philosophy. If you're the owner who would you rather have dictating the offensive gameplay? Your GM or your coach?