1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Now...

RECAP (joined mid interview)

JVG: Believes Houston ownership is committed to winning, will be fun to see what ownership brings. Harden gets killed (by writers etc), but this guy is a great player.

Q: Talking about Harden being dissed, becoming a sport to talk down Harden, not on all NBA team.

JVG: He is a top 15 player no question, if you did a draft among all of the teams. If the Rockets had won 52 games, he would have been on one of those All NBA teams. When you put up the numbers he did. A worthwhile goal for James ... look at the two guards in the history of the game...in the last 25-30 years, you have Jordan, Wade, Kobe. After that, James Harden is coming, but to be in that discussion it's gonna have to be some all defensive teams. He's capable. A commitment to Def would bring winning and recognition. He is very capable defensively. If I was the Rockets, I would put out a highlight of his good def possessions and show him and the public. His commitment to def has to be there. Has been there more often than people give him credit for. People are focusing on the 2-3% bad versus the 97% good that he does.

Q: With the hiring of D'antoni, is DH gone?

JVG: I think it's a financial decision for Howard. Goes where he feels he can secure best contract, last big contract. Great time for him with the cap jump. I suspect he will opt out and see who will commit the money to him. Another thing that has become a sport unto himself is knocking Howard, he's not the same bouncy guy from Orlando (minutes age injury). He's still a very good player. I thought it was a good move by Morey to get him, and someone is going to get a very good player, not a dominating player.

Q: On Analytics, Wilbon's piece, African American sports fans connecting with analytics. Buzz words about it has become more than analytics actually is. It's about outcomes that have taken place and finding tendencies. Is it really any different than advanced scouting?

JVG: No, what you want as a coach is the most/best info to help your team win. You may agree with what numbers say or disagree, but the info is important and makes you think. Inspires thought and debate that is healthy for an org. Usually confirms what your eyes have already told you. Example, my last year in Houston, Daryl gave me numbers before every game (working under CD)...it was very good stuff, inspired good thinking among me and coaching staff. A couple of things, we should play Yao 48 mins a game, would be our best chance of winning, obviously we can't play him 48 minutes. Next one, at one point numbers said Mutumbo helped us win more than Yao. Deke was a great Rocket, but I thought that discounted some of the things Yao did. I don't think Deke could have played the same minutes but the numbers said he should play big minutes over Yao. have to use common sense and eyes. But it told us that we had a hell of a player in Deke. Have to weed through and see what the numbers are telling you, but the numbers are good. Don't have to be either/or, pro or anti analytics.

#1 DieHard Rocket, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

how do i listen on the nets?

3. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

nvm just googled it

4. SamThaGreat

SamThaGreat Member

Maybe he can become our defensive coach!

5. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

The rockets did this man dirty. Was never too big a fan, glad we got Rick instead of him but JVG is a true rocket. Very knowledgable about Houston sports and the rockets despite getting spit on by that greedy ****ing rodent.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Let me guess: :)

JVG loves the hire;
    Mike D'Antoni is a great coach;
    A great coach who will do a wonderful job for the Rockets;
    ...but only a great coach if the players buy in. They can't treat him like Kevin McHale & John Blair Bickerstaff
    Something something about how great he was in Phoenix(& like everyone else ignoring stops in New York & Los Angeles)

7. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

This is very depressing. I'm still hoping it works and I have always been a fan to no ends but I am not even excited a little.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Recap of parts you missed

-was interested in job but never went anywhere
    -Mike dantoni is a great coach and a great man
    -great fit for Houston
    -need to upgrade the roster
    -les Alexander good owner committed to winning
    -when asked if a good job, said yes. Harden a great player and a great owner makes it gray job.lot they need to do with the roster
    -need to surround harden with better players

9. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I wish I was a billionaire.

Just so I could buy the Rockets and fire D'Antoni and hire JVG. In my first hour. And banish Les from ever stepping foot inside the stadium again.

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

JVG is a true Houston Rocket

Despite being done dirty several times, this guy has nothing but praise for the Rockets. He has never uttered a bad word about us. He is probably the only one in the media that stands up for the Rockets franchise

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

JVG, we wanted you...

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

...because you got that b**** ass senile old man running the show. **** that guy.

We're not gonna interview Van Gundy, or Thibodeau, or Vogel, or Joerger or any good worthwhile coaches. Instead, I'm gonna waste your time & mine by interviewing guys like Kenny Smith & Stephen Silas & James Borrego & Mike D'Antoni!

13. jlwee

jlwee Member

When I clicked on the thread I thought I would read sincere and honest answer from jvg. Instead I got all these diplomatic answers from praising les to Morey to Pringles to harden and Howard and hell, even Yao n deke. Though I agreed with some of his answers but it was like jvg don't want to burn bridges with les and hoping Pringles get fired mid way next season and les will hire him.

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, this is absolutely ridiculous...no, absolutely disgusting, not even a interview with those guys...what a ****ing joke.

If Les wanted Pringles so bad he could have signed him as an assistant for one of those coaches, smfh...

15. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

JVG doesn't crap on coaches unless their name is Phil Jackson.

16. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

He's a professional always taking the high road. But deep down inside he might be saying bleep Les and Morey.

17. hakeemthagreat

Everybody wants to blame Les. But JVG isn't going to allow Daryl Morey to influence his coaching decisions the same way McHale & JB did. Mike D'Antoni's a Daryl Morey type coach that'll let Daryl have his way

18. justtxyank

Your own bias is playing here.

If JVG trashes people you don't like, he's being honest.

If JVG praises people you don't like, he's being diplomatic.

Maybe you and he just have different opinions?

19. justtxyank

JVG LOVES Morey and all the reports out, including from WOJ, say that Morey wanted JVG from the start.

People on here let their own issues play into what narratives they push. It's ridiculous.

20. ChineseJSmoove

That's why we want him and miss him, not only for his reliable defense.
    From what he said, I believe he could be the Pop or Sloan of Houston, if he could get a shot. This man, JVG, is a true Rocketsman!