1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump 2016: Yes. We. Can.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Honey Bear, Aug 5, 2015.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

OT: did you go to tokyo?

I have a 9 hr layover in Tokyo landing in NRT then I have to transfer to HND

2. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Talk about spin... did you actually read the article? One storm eroded a much of the property. They need a wall to prevent erosion... it ain't rocket science... or climate science either.

FYI I don't like Trump so I'm not defending him I'm calling BS on political spin.

3. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The Storm of 1900 killed thousands and forced Galveston to build *gasp* a sea wall. Not a damn thing to do with rising sea levels (which have been rising before the influence of AGW) or AGW. If Trump is pro-seawall then maybe he can get us the Texas Coastal Spine.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

We built a city on a spit of land we never should have built on, and the storm of 1900 reminded us why. If global warming is real, the seawall isn't going to be effective much longer.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Ike pushed waves over the seawall. Big storms happen. Our cities are worth more than they ever have been. If we want to keep them more infrastructure is needed just because of that. NYC should be ashamed they let so much damage happen. The cost to protect is minuscule compared to damage it could get if a real storm hit them.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You want me to provide evidence of my experiences? Mkay.

No, I went to the training classes to train and improve my marksmanship and tactics because it's fun and I enjoy learning... not to reinforce some paranoid delusion that we must be ready for revolution, invasion, or the breakdown of society any day now.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

bwahahahahahahahahahahah oh jesus christ.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes and the study they did after that said it was a normal amount of erosion and that it should be fine. It was Trump's company that was worried about rising sea levels and increase storm frequency due to global warming that had them wanting to build the wall.

Why would they want to build a wall if the Irish coastline has been fine for 100's of years?????

9. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Yes. What are you looking to do/eat/etc ?

I was there for a week.

1 person likes this.
  10. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

11. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

just a 9 hr lay over.. I plan to just spend most of it in asakusa what you think?

1 person likes this.
  12. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Why you went isn't important, you fit the very stereotype you were portraying either way, as you were there as well. That you don't actually fit it is even more proof of my point, and the dangers of making stereotypes. Did you consider that many of those there might be more like you?

I'm not saying your experiences weren't as you described. But drawing conclusions from that limited set and extending it to millions of people is problematic, at best.

13. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

And I should add that, naturally, you doubled down on your preconceived impression and stereotype, to boot.

Yes, there are preppers out there. Do they make up the majority of gun owners? Not in the slightest. Hence the issue with the stereotype.

FWIW, one can actually have a very reasoned discussion on those very topics, though, strictly in terms of why the Constitution does provide the right to bear arms...and many gun owners are passionate about that right, and hence have such discussions, without being 'nut jobs'.

It should also be pointed out that many on the left hold views which those on the right view as a bit wacky, and they are quite passionate about them...and might therefore be considered nut jobs...and that if we applied your logic,, that would make all those on the left nut jobs. Would that be accurate?

1 person likes this.
  14. TheresTheDagger

Trump is here later today in Billings, MT (about 3-4 hours) on the day he clinches the nomination. Considering going to see him speak....

15. CometsWin

I fit the stereotype of a paranoid gun nut preparing for invasion or revolution despite the fact I'm not a gun nut preparing for invasion or revolution? You're just babbling away dude.

16. okierock

Does somebody need to explain what a stereotype is to you so you can stop babbling?

17. CometsWin

No, you can both just admit you don't know me even a little bit nor have I ever talked about invasion, revolution, or being a gun nut and then you can stop babbling. Thanks.

18. okierock

Nope, I prefer to apply a stereotype to you...

19. CometsWin

Knock yourself out.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Let's face it, we're all a little to blame for even responding to him in the first place. We all know it's never going to end in intelligent conversation but we keep indulging him.