1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(TV Show) The Flash

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tmac2therack, May 15, 2014.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

Jeez Louise, relax! Take a chill pill.

Why wouldn't the SF care about what happens on Earth? If they care enough to give Barry back his speed (even though he had to "earn" it), then it's plausible to imagine them stripping Zoom of his powers, or at least taking away the "Barry steroid" Zoom got.

In fact, if we just saw the last of the SF for the season (2 eps left), I'll be disappointed. SF should have something to do with the finale. Would be cool.

That would be awesome!

Right...all the tears and teary-eyed expressions at the end of the "Barry gets vaporized" episode were tears of joy because they knew Barry lived. :rolleyes:

In this case, Barry didn't run himself into a time travel situation, nor did anyone open a portal to another dimension. Not a stretch to think Barry died when he was vaporized because of a science experiment gone wrong.

Thinking behind killing zombie Tony was probably: A) He was originally dead, B) Kill-him-or-be-killed-by-him, and C) Not enough time to come up with a solution bc no Flash. It's not like they had a zombie antidote lying around.

What's strange is that Iris and co. kept using the word "kill." Like, why not "subdue," "incapacitate" or anything like that?

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

That was me, too. The time travel trope combined with the alternate dimensions trope allows the writers way too many resets for any continuity to be established.

Take the episode where Barry went back to talk to Eobard/Wells. Sonic boom guy is alive and well now. The writers also introduced time wraiths, a new phenomenon that never happened before because we're calling them rare occasions. What a convenient way for the writers to rewrite the rules whenever the plot demands it, twice in one episode.
    By introducing an all-powerful, sentient being, just end the show because every dramatic conflict will just be questioned with "why didn't the speed force save the day?"
    Rocket River is referring to the audience knowing Barry isn't dead.
    Says who? Speed force can do whatever it wants when the plot wants it, apparently.

3. tonyt8605

tonyt8605 Member

The SF being introduced doesn't kill the momentum or make future conflict/plot lines any less good. The SF, just like any other sentient, omni-anything being, wants the best possible outcome to occur for the good of the universe. So if the death of someone close to Barry, a tragedy, any event needs to happen to let that best possible outcome occur, then the SF won't step in. So you can't ask that question.

If Henry dies, you can't be like, "why didn't the SF stop it?" Well the SF knows that if Henry's death leads to the best possible outcome for Barry or universe, they won't step in. That's the beauty of sentient, omni-beings. One time, momentary afflictions or bad things happening doesn't make them any less good or destroys their plan. It actually works towards the best plan possible. Good job, Flash staying true to comics and introducing it.

4. Juxtaposed Jolt

But if the SF deems something like letting Zoom live is the best outcome, why give Barry even a slight chance at stopping Zoom, by giving him his powers back?

Conversely, if the SF deems something like letting Zoom live is the worst outcome, why not just strip Zoom of his powers or kill him outright?

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

But then again, would the show be enjoyable at this point, if those things weren't introduced? If Flash had no aspects of AltDims or time travel, it'd just be a dude week after week using speed to stop bad guys.

To me, at least, my interest would wane, because it'd turn into a villain-of-the-week show, a la Smallville in its earlier seasons.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

The Speed Force was weird in the sense that it asked Barry to resolve a personal issue in order to live again and regain his speed. I don't get that at all. Why would understanding that all the good and bad that happen to us is ok be so important. Nice message and all for getting on in life. But why does it determine his fate? It seemed hypocritical to me. So when things go bad for Barry, it's ok for the speed force to correct it, yet, he should learn to live with the good and bad things. Hypocritical. If it's all about balance in the force, the good with the bad, then it should be ok for Barry to die.

I am ok with this strange little in between world, a-la matrix's subway system, or limbo, but stay consistent with whatever message it is sending.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Ending was not overly surprising

Rocket River

8. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Was that the season finale?

9. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Nope. Next week is.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

The finale better be something amazing, because they **** the bed.

You had Barry get his ass kicked all season and when he finally gets the power you not only make him lose, but hand it over in the dumbest way possible...to stretch the eipsode number out.

This show really let me down...it was one my favorites.

11. Duncan McDonuts

So time remnants and time wraiths save the day. Convenient.

Some very cheesy out-of-character dialogue eg. Barry: I'm gonna save your dad / Wally: No, you're gonna save our dad. Barry has constantly seen Joe as a father figure, and always calls him Joe. That dialogue seemed out of place and like hammering a screw for us to see them as a family, which we know already.

As for next season, looks like Barry screwed up the timeline and they're going Flashpoint Paradox. That rewrites the whole story for everyone except Barry. I'm conflicted, because while that's a good story, it resets everything from the previous season which I hate.

There's been a huge drop off in writing for the DC CW universe. They've been spread too thin between Arrow, Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, and Supergirl. Arrow turned to crap when they added The Flash. The Flash has been disappointing this season when Legends of Tomorrow plus Supergirl were added, which I didn't even bother to watch. I'm not sure if this drop off would've happened if the new shows were never added, but there's a stark difference in quality compared to Arrow S01+S02 and The Flash S01.

12. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

I'm not too familiar with how time traveling paradoxes are handled in the Flash universe. Is it possible for the Flash Point story be a single season thing? Can the Flash realize by the end of the season that he really screwed up saving his mom so he decides to go back in time again to un-save his mom, thus going back to the timeline that exists at the end of this most recent season?

13. Duncan McDonuts

Sure, why not? It's not like consistency has stopped the writers at all. Just introduce more crap and shrug your shoulders. Then explain it as
    [​IMG]

It's not like Barry finally accepted his mother's death in order to regain his powers in a prior episode. Or that Barry was warned not to save his mother in the previous season finale. Write whatever you want.

14. Caesar

Caesar Member

That was kind of a weak finale imo..is reverse flash going to return as the villain again and we have to go through pretty much all of the same crap all over again?

You're going too fast Barry. You're tearing holes through the space continuum with your speed. Run slower Barry. Run slower.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I was telling some friends that FLASH has a rough road
    Cause they have to Carry THE ARROW and THE LEGENDS OF TOMORROW
    and Incorporate the Supergirl show into the CWVerse

I'm kind of done with Legends and Arrow for next year
    unless they cross with Flash that is . . .. they are just not good anymore
    They reaching Gotham levels of boredom

The show itselt was good .. . glad we got a nice Cisco Zingger
    Man in the mask reveal was not surprising
    They had given enough hints but i liked it

Then Ending was a Shake My Head Moment
    I thought he had made peace with all that. . .
    Then again I guess he said 'F**k The Speed force!" LOL

I am still wrapping my head around this whole TIME REMNANT thing
    So it is him ... but from a different time .. . but it can die without him
    being affected by the death at all . . .. so it is him from an alternate time line

QUESTION: Didn't we see ZOOM look at himself at one point - running side by side as well? I will rewatch later

Rocket River

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So . . . I guess in a few Cisco will be able to open those holes as well

Rocket River

17. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I dug the episode and didn't really have the problems y'all seem to have had. (although i have no clue how to reconcile the time remnant, but it had been firmly established since the unveiling of zoom. it also does appear to be some sort of loss that must occur for the character too and also creates probs with the reapers)

Yes, he'd made peace with her death but it was hinged on thinking everything was going to be fine because the speed force was on his side... but like the peeps kept telling him, that's not how life works.

Once zoom killed his pops he lost the balance he had and became flat out angry. He had the power to reverse not just his father but also his mother's death so he used it. I also like the timeline (depending on how the unfurl it) that they are setting up for next season.

Screw continuity. Outside of flash, everything was too hunky dory.

Will be interesting to see if we get a batman story line integrated next year. spoiler, no spoiler.

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I really hope Barry going back in time affects all the DC shows. I suspect they will do what they did on the show Eureka and the time travel fallout dissipates the farther they get away from the epicenter. It worked on Eureka because it was a pretty self contained show. Barry going back in time messing with the timeline not affecting the rest of the shows would be lame.

I need a video explaining a time remnant.

19. Duncan McDonuts

Barry's motive is understandable. He's unstable and wants his mother and father back. The problem is it makes terrible television. Season 1 spent a few episodes with Barry contemplating going back in time to save his mother, only to be warned not to in the season finale. In season 2, the speed force told him to make peace with his mother's death so he can regain his powers. Now, Barry ignores all these warnings and resets these events. The writers can reset any time they want so that there's no character growth. TV shows can't have infinite mulligans.
    They can't do that. Even though it's a shared universe, not all viewers watch every show. Barry reseting the timeline makes keeping continuity difficult. While Barry has these memories, any other character won't have that continuity. I'm pretty sure any crossovers will ignore any continuity errors rather than attempt to keep it straight.
    I think I'm done with the whole DC CW universe. The writing has gotten so bad. The way I understood it is like Eobard-Wells - basically himself from a different timeline. But the whole idea is silly as altering the past should affect all future timelines. The Zoom that killed Barry's dad was a time remnant that final Zoom killed.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Probably but not what you think

Rocket River