1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros situation

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by houstonhomer, May 22, 2016.

1. houstonhomer

houstonhomer Member

We alternate our lineup too much for our player's comfort. Every game is a different batting order. I thought baseball players loved and thrived off routine, how can they get in a routine when the only constant is lack of routine. We can't produce any continuity and momentum.

Back in the day you saw the same 9 players every game. This play one guy now, one guy the next day doesn't work. Everything seems so sporadic. The constant guys like Altuve-Springer-Correa you know what you're getting day to day, and I don't just think its because they're our best players, but that they play every day. Who knows what Tucker or Marisnick or Marwin or Valbuena will do, since they bounce in and out of the lineup so much. It's not just because they suck (which except for Marisnick's glove and Marwin to an extent, they do). But because they can't establish any rhythm.

This philosophy is proving atrocious and ineffective, and it shows on the field.

As a side note this was bound to happen to Keuchel, he wasn't ever a super pitcher or a deceptive genius, I think he got lucky last year, similar to Will Harris's glide through the regular season with superstar ERA numbers only to get torn apart against Kansas, Harris has no special or rare talent. They both are very pedestrian pitchers. At least Harris is, I single handedly blame Harris for our exit last year.

2. ThaShark316_28

That's just it about "same 9". For the most part, a lot of these guys aren't as good as others to warrant ALWAYS getting in the lineup. Now, when Kemp and Moran (or Bregman) mature, we're singing a different tune.

This is a good ballclub. The offense was going to be like this until our hitters came up from the minors and the lineup became more power, mixed line drive guys over power, power, power.

As for Dallas. He didn't get "lucky" last year. He was AMAZING. He was awesome for TWO full seasons. The workload from last year caught up to him. You look at him during games, and he's not up there uncomfortable. He's missing his spots and his velo is down. He's damned good.

And you're massively underrated Harris. He's been damned good 3 of the last 4 seasons. Wasn't his fault KC came back. Things happen. Baseball's a b****. You know this.

3. ThaShark316_28

Fixed.

4. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

We are 23rd in the majors with a payroll of $98,948,593.

The Rangers are 8th in the majors with a payroll of $162,576,810.

Now, spending the most money doesn't necessarily make you the best team. But there's no way we should be spending over $60M less than our in-state rivals. I'm pretty sure you can get a pair of all-stars for $60M, if not three of them. Jim Crane needs to start spending some money. This is bullsh!t.

5. conquistador#11

i read an article that said we MAYBE sellers by the trading deadline which made me lol.

Our core is young and cheap. When it comes to selling, who is going to want to buy an .200 valbuena? Does .183 gomez do it for a contender? If other teams would want that, it wouldn't be selling but a Samaritan act by those taking them on. The sooner we can move on to replacing that type of production.

the only ones I could see piquing interest, luke as a set up guy for some other team or harris.

We need to be buyers and get one or two professional hitters to fully take advantage of paying child labor wages to the top 3 of the order. And pray those professional hitters don't forget how to play the game over night.

6. houstonhomer

houstonhomer Member

Yeah I hear you about having to earn a consistent spot in the lineup, and I guess no one has really stood out over the other for the interchangeable slots. I still think we as a team could benefit from some consistency.

Yeah Dallas was good last year I jumped the gun to post something negative about him to justify my outlook as a whole right now on the Astros, which is it seems we are very close to being a true contender but at the same time so far away. And we haven't been producing the way we should and could be right now.

Too much trying to hit the home run... we need to hit more line drives and hit for average instead of power so much, more singles and doubles.

Also with Neshek and Gregerson, they throw strikes so much, which is good to put the pressure on the hitter, but some of these guys pitches are like batting practice strikes. They're shaky platforms to stand on. Neshek's sidearm delivery is the only thing he has going. They both throw it down the middle so much, Gregerson with his slider though at least is really good.

Giles has that heat though, and he's gotten lit up more than anyone, hopefully he can continue to find his groove. Look at the yankees pen, almost every pitcher they have throws 96+....most of our pen doesn't have overpowering stuff

7. houstonhomer

houstonhomer Member

Does management think we aren't ready to bring in some complementary hitters or what? Cause now seems the time to do it, or what, wait until next year? If we brought in some offensive threats we could be a top offensive team. It's so hard to watch Valbuena and Gomez and (until recently) Castro be the same non-factor game after game, like we have a vacant spot at those positions in terms of production at the plate.

We gotta either bring up our prospects and play them, or sign some FA's.

8. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

Agreed that Keuchel wasn't lucky last year, he was flat out incredible. His lack of success this year can be almost all attributed to a lack of control. He's walking double the number of batters as last year, and is leaving the ball up and allowing about 40% more homers than last year. Virtually all understanding of pitching value can be summed up in 2 numbers - K/BB ratio and HR/9IP. Keuchel was phenomenal in both these categories last year, and has fallen off a cliff in both this season.

9. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

It would be nice if they spent more money, but even if they did, are you confident that they would spend it on the right guys? I'm not. They haven't shown to be particularly good judges of talent at this point.

10. ThaShark316_28

Oh, word?

11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

This team isn't in position to be buyers IMO.. too many holes. The talent in the minors isn't depleted, but I'd rather not trade anymore of it. The fact our last few "buyer" trades have been subpar doesn't help. With Keuchel not playing well, this season is a waste. Play the young guys and acquire a bat via FA in the offseason.

12. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

All-stars like Justin Upton, Jason Heyward? Those marquee, big-dollar signings this offseason you'd be ripping the organization about right now if they had signed and busted?

13. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Excuses.

We have a bottom of the league payroll looking top of the league production.

Not going to happen. Yes, we will spend when that time comes to pay Correa, Altuve... But we need to make some deals or risk blowing away our chance at the playoffs.

I'm an advocate to bringing up Bregman, now... He would fill our 3B problem and if he doesn't... at least he's actually in the majors learning.

Next key is to stop playing Marisnick. I don't get it. Play Kemp any chance you get in LF and play Rasmus in Center.

Gattis needs more Catcher appearances and White needs to start producing or we need to make an upgrade at that position or bring Reed up.

Oh and pray Keuchel gets it together and Giles continues to progress towards being our closer, move Gregerson to 7th and keep Harris as set-up.

Make the changes now.

14. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

This teams a mess :(

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The Astros definitely have a situation.

16. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

18. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

It'd be a real shame if those players ended up preventing us from resigning guys like Altuve, Correa, and Springer in the future

19. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Then the cycle starts again with "why didn't the Astros lock them up when they had the chance"

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

Focus needs to be on the future. Continue to try to win now, but not at the expense of next year and beyond.

I'd start by trading Castro....now. He's in the middle of a good run and on the last year of his contract. This would open up time for Gattis and allow you to give time to some prospects.

Then I'd shop our relievers at the deadline. We've got quality there signed to reasonable deals. This would open up opportunities for Musgrove and Paulino.

Lastly, call up Bregman after the Super 2 estimated date.