1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard Says He Doesn't Take Jumpers Because Of A Crippling Fear Of Missing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Harden's beard, May 22, 2016.

1. Harden's beard

http://deadspin.com/dwight-howard-says-he-doesnt-take-jumpers-because-of-a-1777588566

[rQUOTEr]
    Probable free agent Dwight Howard continued his soul-baring redemption tour, sitting down with ESPN’s Jackie MacMullan for an extensive interview. Anything about Howard that you’re interested in—his relationships with Stan Van Gundy, Kobe Bryant, and James Harden or his exits from Orlando, L.A., and possible exit from Houston—is touched upon, most of the time with unusual candor.

The most interesting response from Howard, though, comes when MacMullan asks why in 12 seasons his game has never expanded beyond six feet from the hoop:

[​IMG]

Howard is usually portrayed as an over-sized kid, with a love of candy and farting, and comic book nickname, so it’s interesting to see him admit to a crippling fear of failure, and how much he is affected by fan and pundit opinions.

The answer that will probably get the most attention, however, is the one where Howard savages his GM:

[​IMG]

Howard has a year remaining on his contract, but he can opt out of it and all signs point towards him doing so. Players generally don’t go on the record criticizing their general managers—especially not general managers who think anonymously leaking negative things is a good strategy—and according to Adrian Wojnarowski the Rockets are close to hiring Mike D’Antoni, the coach Howard probably least wants to play for.

In that regard, then, Howard is trying to both win over fans tired of his shtick, and prove to 29 other teams that he is a mature and introspective human being, worthy of handing a roughly $170 million (!) max contract to. It’s probably not enough to overcome the fact that his on-court game stagnated five years ago, but it’s fascinating to watch him try.
    [/rQUOTEr]
    Hakeem : "I didn't want to be confined in the traditional role of a big man. I wanted to experiment and play like a guard"

Dwight : "I'm scared to death to fail. That's why I can't shoot and always go for the post-up, even though I can't even do that right"

2. RESINator

RESINator Member

For being a giant he sure is a mental midget

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

YES!

LET'S BULLY AND **** ON A GUY THAT ADMITS HIS INSECURITIES AND PHOBIA!

wtf is wrong with you?

2 people like this.
  4. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

If you have no confidence in your game, please don't play for the Houston Rockets.

5. Harden's beard

What's wrong with Dwight? He's making millions of dollars to be the best basketball player as he could possibly be. If he can't do that because of some weak-ass sh** like this, then he's gonna get criticized, rightfully.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

C'mon bro, we all know athletes aren't real people.

7. yo

yo Contributing Member

Uhhh no. He doesn't take jumpers because there is no coach, even the most braindead out there (*COUGH MCFAIL COUGH JB*) that will allow him to do so because he can't hit them. This is not that complicated.

8. RESINator

RESINator Member

He took a long 3 to end the season. Lmao

9. Harden's beard

You think 5 foot 9 Isaiah Thomas doesn't fear of getting blocked whenever he drives to the hoop? Does that prevent him from developing that part of the game? If IT can play the inside game, why can't Dwight play the outside game? which one is more difficult?

10. makman

makman Member

Smh, you actually believe him? If it was a real phobia he wouldn't be playing bball. Does he have a fear of missing when it comes to free throws too? This story conveniently plays into contract time, when he can point the finger at others and not take responsibility for his lack of growth mentally and on court.

11. bmd

bmd Member

Dwight is full of crap. The reason he misses isn't because he's afraid of failing. It's because he sucks at shooting.

12. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

He doesn't want the ball in the post because of a crippling fear of missing free throws, though

13. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

kobe was right the entire time. He can't opt out fast enough

14. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Good. I'm glad he is afraid of taking jumpers in a game, because he is a terrible shooter. I wish he were afraid of posting up, because he is also terrible at that.

15. thedude077

thedude077 Member

30 year old man and still has mental problems for the game. He's not worth 100+ million.

1 person likes this.
  16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Given his success rate at posting up of late, why doesn't a crippling fear of missing prevent him from wanting post touches?

17. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

You know what they always say about shooters having no conscience and short memories...

I don't buy it. He's an all world defender and as long as no one is looking he's a competent shooter? Nah.

You catapult the ball and strong arm bricks at the rim. You won't try anything but that wonky form set shot or no-touch baby hooks. You're in the NBA because of physical assets and physical assets alone. They declined and so have you. I don't believe you can do something for 12 years and not improve, so I don't believe he works on it. Your unwillingness to work or recognize limitations cause your timidity.

I may not be able to protect a rim like Dwight but you would damn sure have to guard me out to the corner 3. That doesn't make me special. That makes me one of the millions of people who never got to rely on being tall to play ball. Shooting, it's like the first thing anyone can do on a court....how is it so many bums exist in the highest level of competition?

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good grief.

19. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Because he complained about touches, quit on the team, and lied about what his GM said to him on national TV. Dwight deserves to be **** on.

20. kevtse

kevtse Member

hmm.....how about making more free throws before talking about perimeter shots?