1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Deeks] Dwight Howard's recent nterview throws up more questions than answers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, May 20, 2016.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Alexander has been a tool for almost a decade or more

talking about tools

2. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Dude acts like a woman in every sense of the way... His statements out of his mouth makes him look awful. He would look better in silence and improve his on court game. But he can't and opens his mouth and proves himself to be light in the A.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There's not need to get misogynistic here. Acting like a woman should be equal to acting like a man.

Howard wasn't acting like a woman, he was acting like a putz.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

It does raise questions about Dwight, as a person, not just in the court touches.

And Mchale was the one who said Dwight can't score well in the post anymore..he wasn't catering to Dwight.

He was fired because Les was desperate to get the team to wake up, so that was their wake up call. It was as simple as that.

5. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

When JBB kept talking about how the players on this team need to band together and put individual aspects of the game way for the sake of winning, I think most everyone thought he was alluding to James Harden.

While James could/might have been a person JBB was talking about, it is looking like Dwight might have been the biggest player that was really letting his own individual frustrations and desires to be more "involved".

We all saw Dwight take himself out of games frequently and now he is admitting it to the world, and pretending it was justified since the Rockets failed to keep him, The Dwight Howard, "involved" in the offense.

Dwight Howard came into this season saying that he wanted to be dominant from Game 1 of the season to the end (oddly, he is saying those same things now) and it turned out that he was only truly dominant in maybe a couple of games this season. The only game that pops into my head was that MLK day 36 points/26 rebound game against the Clippers. I can excuse some of his lack luster performances early in the season when he was trying to get healthy and was on minutes restrictions but the other 4+ months of him basically lugging around barely giving the effort needed from (and really should be required from him as the highest paid player on the team) him are pretty unacceptable and I just don't see any real contending team offering him anywhere near the money or length in contract he probably desires this offseason.

I can see some fringe contending team (Hornets, Blazers, Hawks, etc.) offering him a 3 year close to max (23-26M+) type deal, trying to squeeze out the last of Dwight's prime if they strike out on other free agents. There will be some lowly idiotic team that will throw the contract he wants but with no chance of winning. I just don't see a true contending team offering him anything more than 16-18M/year for 3 years max.

Let's see what really matters to Dwight.

6. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Adding on, we've seen some games where James become disinterested. But those usually came when he had a terrible shooting night and the Rockets were down big with little chance to comeback. While that too is still pretty inexcusable, we have seen Dwight become disinterested in games where it was close and we absolutely needed him to step up.

To me, being disinteresting in those types of games is horrible.

7. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

I agree with everything you just said, but I read the original interview when it came out. I had given him the benefit of the doubt over and over. When I read the interview he lost me. He doesn't even know what he wants, he's all over the place and takes no blame for his own play or image. I'm sorry but "bye bye Dwight". He is not the leader we need. Who knows if Harden is either. I have my doubts about him too, only time will tell. Harden is the direction the team is going. He has no more excuses either. Time to put up or shut up. IMO Harden has insecurity issues, strip club issues and doesn't have the focus to be leader. These two bozo's are two peas in a pod.

8. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

Feel bad for the guy but the inside the nba viewing was enough. Why this interview?

If I had 24.3 million dollars headed my way, I wouldn't give a damn if the lay public hate me. I'd have the last laugh.

Why bother, Dwight?

9. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

I am going to play the 94'95 rockets team with Hakeem and Thorpe from now on on NBA 2k16. I miss the dream so bad

10. Pokito1120

Pokito1120 Member

Only if Dwight knew how ineffective he is when they give him the ball with his back to the basket, he wouldn't dare complain to Morey about touches. The guy is a pick and roll dump it to him while on the move type of center like DeAndre Jordan and Tyson Chandler. The thing is he wants to be like Shaq and Hakeem on the block when he is not, never been, and never will be. If he just focused on completely dominating the boards, defense, and not worry about touches he would still average 14pts, 12rebs, 2 blocks just off of pure effort.

11. Sanity2disChaos

I've already stated that Howard put his brand in front of the team. Nothing new.

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

What Dwight needs is what every NBA player with an overinflated concept of self, needs. A recalibration.

Surrounding yourself with yes-men not only reinforces a certain perspective, it also prevents even considering a different perspective.

For example, Dwight reaching out to kobe and shooting those 1000 shots was definitely a step in the right direction. However, he destroyed any chance of actually growing from the experience by giving in to his "fear of failure."

But that's not the worst part, he then goes and finds a yes-man to reinforce this perspective when it was absolutely wrong.

The end result of that conversation with kobe? No improvement of Dwight's game, reinforcement of a terrible perspective and insulating yourself from that failure with an improper justification.

All the greats have a "fear of failure." They use that fear as a drive for perfection. Dwight uses that fear as an excuse and insulation.

This is why people say Dwight acts like a teenager. Everything that conflicts with his worldview is discarded. And of course, it's never your fault.

----

Solid piece from Deeks, i didn't know he was writing. He really should have included Terry's comments.

Also, lol @ Deeks repeatedly referencing Dwight's desire to "spread his seed"

Subtle

13. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

The passive aggressive ways that Howard has went about his business is what has got him in trouble in the past, and, apparently, last season. Imagine going to the GM about this and not the coach and teammates. You think Hakeem would have sidled up to Steve Patterson and pleaded for more touches? Would he have whined about this to Rudy? Hell, no. He got in Kenny, or Sam's faces and demanded the ball. If the guy won't fight, why the hell *would* you entrust such a mentally weak guy to put the team on his back?

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't think it raises questions - more like it answers them .... Dwight wants what he wants how he wants it and is butt hurt because the team wouldn't give it to him .... for good reason.

Shows Dwight to be Dwight first , team later.

Elvin Hayes pretty much told him the same thing about his posting up , he still wants what he wants and thinks he deserves it when the statistics prove otherwise.
    He could have gotten a ton of shots .... if he would have bought into running the pick and roll where his numbers were excellent. He wouldn't.

Same things I pointed out multiple times this season and last.

15. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

His skills have definitely diminished but Howard is right about a few things. Why in the world is Morey dictating everything on the court. He is a GM that has only played basketball on his videogame system. Morey is starting to irk me as much as Les..

16. MistaK

MistaK Member

As others have said, Harden has been bashed a lot this season. There was a lot of talk about him in the media. Also I'd say, out of all the players blamed this season on this board, Harden probably takes the #1 spot for blame by quite a margin (not that I agree with it, but that's a different story).

The articles surfacing as of late and all the interviews by Howard, ex coaches (JB, McHale) and teammates (Terry) are about Howard. They aren't about Harden or any other player on this team!!! Dwight's displeasure is Dwight's displeasure. And you already said it, he is responsible for his own effort.

It wasn't like he was being ignored, but it has become apparent over the past couple of years that Dwight does not like to play the pnr. He sees himself as a legit post threat that you can dump it into and go to but he isn't that. It is not surprising that the team would prefer Howard to play the pnr.

Playing the pnr, doesn't mean you are not involved and just stand there and wait for a pass...no it actually involves effort on your part. You set good screens and roll to the basket.

Also there are other things he could have done, like crash the offensive boards and go for putbacks. Had he been motivated he could have found a way to be more involved and to get more touches. Have you ever asked yourself why a guy like Capela, for instance, in certain games manages to get as many touches as Dwight (sometimes more) in limited minutes? He was engaged, he didn't need his friends (outside the org) to remind him that this is a bad look and to motivate him.

What about his teammates? Wouldn't you be mad if you saw a guy as athletic as Dwight who can, no doubt, still be a dominant force, if used correctly, refusing to play that way/or with effort. Wouldn't it annoy you if your teammate started pouting and you having to cater to his demands, especially if you know that it is not going to be effective?

Sure they might not have recruited him to be a pnr guy, but they did provide him with the opportunity to work with Dream from DAY 1. He got to work on post moves with McHale too. Those were reasons he wanted to sign here too (if you go back to early interviews). The problem is that all the work that Dwight put in, just didn't really seem to change anything. If anything it feels like his post play has gotten worse.

Again, I'm not blaming Dwight for this season. There are many things that need fixing, but from all those statements, dating back to early in the season from McHale up until Dwight's latest interviews it has become very clear that 'not being on the same page and having to put egos aside' very likely meant 'the team doesn't play the way I want to play (i.e.: they are not getting me the ball inside)

17. CallMeTheDream

Smh and notice how all season he was preaching "we need to put our egos aside for the good of the team"...then proceeds to act out when he doesn't get post touches. This guy is a bonafide clown and needs to join a damn circus. Whoever offers him the max should seriously lose their job.

18. OTMax

OTMax Member

Dwight is his own worst enemy and his ego has gotten the best of him for most of his career. He came in as a player who wanted to create a brand for the 'christian, devout, the believer' and remain humble. As soon as he became good and the focal point, that went out the door and he became 'superman'. Now he's just a shell of himself and he can't let it go that he's no longer that. Probably a lot of friends and others around him who tell him he's still great or he's just that selfish. It's sad because he seems like a genuinely fun, light-hearted guy who just got lost in the fortune and fame. Still, I don't feel sorry for him one bit, because he keeps lying and making himself make out to be a victim. The way he talks is like he wants people to feel sorry for him and to do this whole PR tour and admitting he was putting himself first, sorry Dwight but you just made it worse. I will remember some good things you did in Houston, but what will always stick out are the lies that started with stabbing SVG in the back and will probably last far beyond your retirement. Hope he finds himself and will one day be totally honest with himself and maybe truly apologize for all the lies though.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you think it takes a statistician to realize that it's not good basketball to pass Howard the ball in the post? C'mon. Everyone from the ball boy to his teammates to his coaches to the fans knows it. This was not a Morey decision.

20. BAHAMIANFAN

BAHAMIANFAN Contributing Member

For his own sake and best interests, he needs to just shut up and stop giving interviews. Every interview is asking him about his past, his perception/ reputation, and his disinterest. His new agent is doing him a disservice and giving him bad advice. Or he's just not listening. Shaq - do something.

I actually really like DH as a person. His downside is his want to be loved. But who doesn't want to be loved? He is a very philanthropic guy. He is super generous with him time and money and contributes to good causes in the city.

His best course right now is to just lay low while his agent negotiates a new contract for him and hope he gets a multi year contract at just under $20million/yr and then say all the right thing about how he's going to do whatever it takes to win. Even if that means pick and roll.