1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This team needs to have the ability to manufacture runs

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Plowman, May 20, 2016.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have faith in the powers that be/natural progression getting things in order. Pitching, bats, etc. This is obviously a very young team that has been ahead of schedule. Tough to see the record as of now, but things are turning. Way too much talent out there ...and they, for the most part know what needs to be done.(like a really good veteran team) Not worried about the rest of the regular season at all. I would think just playing the Astros from here on in should have a novice hitting at 73-75%.

That said, the real issue as I see it....looking down the road, is the ability to play small ball in tight games/the postseason. We are known for being able to stroke the long ball, but haven't developed the other yet.
    Of course, we have Altuve ...and a plethora of pitching /defense that will do their part..always can get more pitching if needed.

While I love the power, we need another that can help balance this lineup. Springer should NOT be hitting in the two hole, even if it does provide plenty of protection for him there.I understand getting him going, but this needs to be addressed.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The "real issue" has been having 5 dead spots in the lineup. There has been no depth. Survive Altuve, Springer, Correa and at times Rasmus and you are home free. When they come up again, it was usually with the bases clear.

Castro has been doing more than his part for a little while, and unsurprisingly it has coincided with our good play.

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

All line-ups have dead spots. 5 is way too many, agreed. Most teams have 2 or 3.

Lets go with 3 for sake of a point and illustration. I'd rather have them at the 6-7-8, than the 7-8-9. Our 1-3 need guys on base to drive in. If you can place a good OBP guy at the 9 spot, that would help us. Kemp maybe that guy. We will see.

4. Plowman

Supporting Member

These guys will come along as the bats across the League catch up with the pitching. And having the right guy at 2, balances us out, bumping these guys back.
    The Astros, like any really good baseball team will start to roll when the chemistry/momentum take hold. These guys will hit/pick each other up.

But , we don't want to be the Brewers of old. They are the exception...not the norm...Plus, they didn't WIN it.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Why are you singling out Springer? He most certainly is not the problem, dropping him in the lineup would only result in him being stranded even more than he already is.

Unless we pull the trigger on a trade there is nobody on this team better suited to hit second than Springer. We do need another on base guy, but that has nothing to do with manufacturing runs, its' just about getting better hitters. Unless we get another high OBP guy, Springer, Altuve and Correa should not be separated. And Springer would still drop no lower than 3rd in my lineup because he's awesome. Its unlikely we could find a better OBP guy than Springer, our team would benefit most from having the top 3 protected much more than they have been, not displacing them.

Manufacturing runs doesn't win you games, good hitters do. A giant myth has been created because the Royals won last year with a low K, low HR formula. They didn't do it manufacturing, they did it because they stacked 6 extremely good hitters on top of each other, they didn't try to scratch across a run.

6. Plowman

Supporting Member

I'm not singling out Springer in a negative way ..in fact he is a helluva run producer that needs the table set when he comes up...best is yet to come from him.
    I'm advocating a high OBP guy that can make good contact...and run.

This is all a formula as old as the game itself.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Well we pretty much seem to agree, a high OBP hitter at 2, with Springer/Correa at 3/4 is the best lineup for this team. Most of us wanted a guy like that in the offseason. We seem to disagree on what constitutes manufacturing runs, I would just consider that logical lineup construction. Get them on, drive them in.

I think this team can still have an awesome lineup without that guy because as is we have 3 high OBP guys at the top, we just need somebody consistently protecting them at 4-6, which we haven't gotten so far.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

You've just described George Springer... maybe not the "good contact" part but...

9. Plowman

Supporting Member

Springer needs to be up with ducks on the pond. IMO we haven't even seen close to his best yet on a consistent basis...just flashes. George is a stud.
    Like you said, he isn't a "contact" hitter...and you sure as heck don't want him giving himself up consistently. Dude needs to be swinging.

10. Hey Now!

Have you seen who hits in front of him?

Springer has two sacrifice bunts in his three seasons - where is this idea he's "giving himself up consistently" come from?

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Player wRC+:
    Gattis 85
    Valbuena 73
    Gomez 29
    Tucker 48
    Marwin 85

In addition to the top of the order (Altuve, Springer, Correa, Rasmus), White and Castro have hit pretty well. Really, Valbuena and Gomez have killed the offense. Which is why they've been replaced by Kemp and Moran (however temporarily that may be).

I would like this lineup for the next month or so:

2B Altuve
    RF Springer
    SS Correa
    LF Rasmus
    DH White
    C Gattis/Castro
    1B Marwin/Valbuena
    3B Moran
    CF Kemp/Marisnick

12. Plowman

Supporting Member

ducks(s) pl

My point exactly. It's one of the things we need out of the two hole...Balance this lineup.

13. Hey Now!

That's what Correa's for; he has two high OB% guys ahead of him.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Remember Luhnow was building a lineup to compete for a playoff spot this year, if not next.

The roster this year and last has too many boom or bust players who are not in the long term plans, like Carter, Valbuena, Gomez, and Gattis.

The players Luhnow drafted and developed who are on their way should have higher OBP, which lead more boom and less bust.

15. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Does anyone realistically see AJ Reed coming up this season? I think replacing the Marwin/Valbuena combo at 1st with a Reed/White combo (and a DH rotation of White/Gattis/Reed) would do wonders for our run production, assuming AJ is all that he's advertised to be.

I've already read speculation that we'll see Bregman before the end of the year, but that may just be for a September call up. What if we end the season with a lineup vs. RHP that looked like this:

2B - Altuve
    RF - Springer
    SS - Correa
    1B - Reed
    CF - Rasmus
    DH - White
    C - Castro
    3B - Bregman
    LF - Kemp

I don't think that lineup is quite ready for primetime, but if everyone lives up to their scouting report, that's a very talented - and more importantly BALANCED - lineup.

Does anyone see that lineup as a legitimate possibility this season?

16. thaGREATwall

thaGREATwall Member

Agree with your post, but I'm curious where you'd rather have Springer hitting. 4 or 5? 6?

17. thaGREATwall

thaGREATwall Member

Also if Bregman keeps this up, could he be our future in the 2 hole?

18. No Worries

Who knows? and he is playing on first ;)

Reed is posting .790 OPS in the PCL. The PCL is a hitter's league and a .790 OPS is not all of that.

If Reed can improve as the seasons goes along, he has a shot at a September callup.

If Reed catches fire, he can force the issue before then.

Luhnow's MO is to have players earn their promotions (except for Appel). Reed will have to get better to earn his cup of coffee.

19. No Worries

I am thinking that thaGREATwall is recommending

2B - Altuve
    3B - Bregman
    RF - Springer
    SS - Correa
    1B - Reed
    CF - Rasmus
    DH - White
    C - Castro
    LF - Kemp

which I am sure no pitcher would want to face.

20. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

That lineup and it's potential gives me warm, tingly feelings...