1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] JVG no longer a candidate for Rockets job

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, May 18, 2016.

1. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

I REFUSE TO BELIEVE THAT JVG WILL GIVE UP. KEEP FIGHTING BROTHA WE NEED YOU

2. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

Vogal is going to Magic. Its happening

3. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

You create your own story as if you actually know ****.

Morey did not want JVG to go in the first place.

Morey did not want Adelman to go in the first place.

McHale was the two finalists Morey gave to Les, but wasn't his first choice.

It has been reported Morey would like JVG to come back, and would like to a HC to focus on D. Les wants entertaining offense.

So what the **** are you on about?

That Morey says a HC doesn't impact wins too much? If Morey doesn't value coaching, why do we have one of the most extensive coaching search process in the NBA (even if that may not necessarily be the best approach).

4. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

So I guess I was never a candidate either?

5. Fantasma Negro

JVG wasted the primes of both T-Mac and Yao but people on here would make you believe he was the second coming of Red Auerbach. Please people, please, youtube is here for a reason. Go back and watch the tape, JVG's offense was "give it to Yao", "give it to Tracy". Every one of JVG coached teams underachieved and that was nine years ago. He has not coached professional basketball in nine years and in that time he was out-coached in a fourth grade basketball league. It makes no sense the way people on here are losing their minds because we didn't bring back JVG. Can somebody tell me what exactly was JVG's highest accomplishment? What did he do in this city that was never done before? Why didn't you guys freak out like this when the Rockets did not renew his contract? And after nine years of talking about basketball did what makes you people think that he's more apt to coach this team than coaches that have been doing this consistently? Honestly in my opinion I think Frank Vogel is the right guy for the job but the interview process isn't over. This is not a bad team, we just had a bad year. Everything I read or see about the Rox says that the wcf was a fluke year and this year was a more accurate depiction of our team but that's wrong, the wcf was this team playing to its fullest potential without Bev and Dmo and I still believe that with those two we would've won a championship last year. You guys need to pump the brakes, go outside and take a walk (well not today cause its raining) maybe sit on the porch and have a drink (7:30 am as I'm writing this... but its 1:30 pm in London so drinking right now wouldn't qualify you as an alchy) and just think about exacly what JVG did here, not the diet coke cup on the scorers table, not the cute press conferences he did while horse and raspy or the Rice basketball games he would attend with his kids. Remember the 2005 playoffs against the mavs, where we were up in the series but played with no momentum whatsoever and then got roasted in game seven by 40. Remember the 2007 playoffs and how we had a lead in the fourth quarter of every single game but couldn't stop Carlos Boozer from having his way in the paint. And remember that even after all that, the Charles Oakleys, the Rod Stricklands and the Ryan Bowens, the Rockets still offered him a contract and he left on his own. Houston went 7-12 in three postseason appearances and more was expected from teams anchored by All-Stars Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming. I still remeber it like it was yesterday, I was at senior prom and the Dj cut the music off and said "If you snuck in liquor its time to drink it, them Rockets boys just got blew out by 40". I pulled my flask of tequila out of my sock and took sip and as single tear rolled down my cheek...

1 person likes this.
  6. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

That's funny.

Because that's exactly what all of Clutchfans have done after reading your post.

And by reading, I mean 'look at the first 14 words before the brain can't comprehend the lack of comprehension anymore'

1 person likes this.
  7. syn

syn Member

MDA is a JOKE. What happened to Rockets basketball and our bright future???

Bring back McHale ANY DAY over MDA.

8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

JVG is in Cleveland. Did we sit with him today? Is this all a smoke screen?

1 person likes this.
  9. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

JVg fans still can't name the greatest jVg as a rockets coach moment. The tmac game against the Spurs? It devastated the Spurs so much they went on to win the title while the rockets got their salad tossed by 40 at Dallas in Game 7. What was the tangible coaching accomplishment that jVg had as a rockets coach?

People always want to bring up the same old excuse of the roster sucking after Yao/tmac. Well the roster sucks now after Harden. He couldn't win a measly playoff series with 2 all stars and he's supposed to be great with just 1? Please.

Maybe they weren't championship contenders but with 2 of the top 10 players on your roster you should be able to win atleast 1 playoff series. Just 1 freaking playoff series was too much to ask for. Not even a championship but just 1 lousy first round series he couldn't win. But coulda, woulda, shoulda, and he sounds great on tv so he's one of the greatest coaches ever aparantly.

He hasn't coached since 2007. I highly doubt he coaches again.

10. basketballholic

Dunno. I sure thought it was. But it looks like Less has gone rogue with all the MDA stuff.

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

<BR>ClutchFans throughout the majority of 2003-2007: "OMFG, our offense is stagnant even though we have the best player in the league. Van Gumby sux! We need to bring in a coach like D'Antoni who knows how to run an offense!"

ClutchFans today: "WAAAAHHHHHH!!!! We don't want D'Antoni! We want our Van Gumby back!!!!"
    <BR>

2 people like this.
  12. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Well at that time MDC was a pioneering offense and 10 years later is has been figured out and done better:confused:

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'll actually give credence to that argument. But why all the love for JVG? I honestly think we've all grown to love him for his candor and passion as a TV analyst. We have ZERO proof that a second term as Rockets coach would be any different from the first. If everyone's so sure D'Antoni hasn't learned anything new, why are they convinced Van Gundy has? It makes no sense.
    <BR>

14. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

No one, I repeat - NO ONE on this board has ever said, "I want Jeff Van Gundy back to coach this team because he did a great job with us last time"

The vast majority want Jeff Van Gundy for a simple reason.

Rockets' biggest issues:
    - defense
    - as a collective one of the dumbest basketball IQ's in the entire league

Jeff Van Gundy's biggest strengths:
    - defense
    - one of the smartest basketball minds there is

It's rather quite simple when you think about it

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

/Thread

16. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

So as long as they play defense and have smart basketball IQ, it's okay to not get out of the first round?

JVg's smart defensive teams have not won a playoff series since 2000.

17. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

So apparently jvg's greatest rockets accomplishment was having a smart defensive team. 0-3 in playoffs was just details

18. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Getting your salad tossed is a good thing. If anything we tossed their salad.

19. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

I wanted Vogel:rolleyes:

20. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I wanted Van Gundy as well but the offenses that he was coaching against when he was last a coach have changed greatly.