1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Rockets move toward formal offer to Mike D'Antoni

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, May 19, 2016.

1. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Doctor say he need a backeotomy.

[​IMG]

2. mrm32

mrm32 Member

This can't be real life.

I'll gladly eat crow if this team actually gets its **** together.

3. DeathStar

DeathStar Member

I think people might be overlooking his role as an assistant coach on Team USA. His relationship with top players around the league could be stronger than people think.

4. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

So mike gets hired and we pick his assistants?

Sounds like McHale all over again.

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Not sure that defensive assistants matter that much when the entire practice is dedicated to offense. The head coach needs to be in synch with his assistants; their philosophies/ideas need to complement each other or you're asking for conflict. IMO.

6. bmd

bmd Member

One criticism of D'Antoni's offense is that some guys stand around a lot. Not as much movement as other offenses.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Assistant coach - Golden State Warriors

8. rockets13champs

Lets see if it works if it dont i better see les snd morey gone. If it works all praise to u guys

9. htown1984

htown1984 Member

Look we have to face it and realize that he will be the coach. We now look to see what assistants are out there

assistants: David Blatt, Lionel Hollins,

can we steal other coaches from other rosters? Like Messina or other
    good assistants on other rosters..

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

11. Fantasma Negro

To compensate? Clutch you dirty dog, but seriously we need defensive assistants...

12. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I can't really stand D'Antoni like most people here. I will try to be a homer and pray that we get an unbelievable supporting cast with the best defensive coach/motivator there is. I am not really sure who that would be but someone from the Grizzlies or a team like that and give that person the "Associate Head Coach" title with a pay raise and hope that they truly can be the defensive head coach for the team and have the player's respect.

Maybe D'Antoni has learned his lessons the past couple of years but it seems he is just as stubborn and belligerent with the media as an old defensive coach which is weird. You would think he would be progressive and mold his coaching around his player's ability but I am afraid that is not the case. Going after Mike Conley and a strong finisher off the pick and roll not named Dwight would be a good start. Maybe someone like Conley would like to play for D'Antoni knowing him and Harden will have carte blanche on pick and rolls and his stats would look really nice for his next contract?

I guess I will give Morey the benefit of the doubt but I do think this is Les's call and Morey will have to work some magic to get the top assistants that we desperately need. Although McHale ended up being a failure in the end, he had better results than I thought he ever would last season but he piqued. I do think your potential is limited with a coach like D'Antoni as far as winning a championship but you at least need someone to get you there.

Hopefully D'Antoni has learned a couple of things these last couple of years and has some humility but I doubt it. Maybe he can teach the team how to set illegal screens all game and get away with it? Maybe he will teach them how to shoot? /optimism

13. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

Why on earth would they even admit that pringles needs quality assistants around him. Doesn't that just tell them he has too many holes in his coaching ability?

I really don't understand this coaching move

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I've been a LONGGGG time supporter of Alexander's. This finally sealed the deal. I'm distraught. We needed accountability, defense, rebounding, culture.... we got the exact opposite. Fighting fire with gasoline.

I haven't been this upset since Utah beat us in the 97 WCF.

This is bad.

Finding an offensive assistant is easier than finding a defensive one. Plus, D'Antoni brings nothing else to the table. He already WAS an assistant. Just keep him there. Where he belongs.

15. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I know we do. I'm saying I don't hear any team hiring assistant coaches for a head coach. Usually an established coach has his own ppl coming in.

16. eman

eman Contributing Member

Scott Skiles for the D

17. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

agreed, I've been a les fan but screw him. if he doesn't care about defence why should we. or why should james.

18. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

How many terrible coaching decisions can les make before we are allowed to rightfully critize the team I pay to have tickets for 82 games a season?

I don't think I'm going to renew my tickets if this clown can't get his **** together. If you chose to delegate a duty, then you should stay the **** away from decision making. Otherwise, conflicting philosophies will cause fractures in ideology, resulting in a loss of identity. Much like we've seen in the on the court product.

19. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Not the Suns offense but that was mainly because of Nash and the ability of their slashers, Raja Bell, Shawn Marion, etc. who were elite at cutting to the basket. But yeah, I guess there is not a lot of movement from all 5 players at once but hopefully D'Antoni has learned a thing or ten over his many years of failing post Steve Nash.

20. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]