1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets leaning towards D'Antoni is also a way to show Dwight the door

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 18, 2016.

1. DCballer

DCballer Member

Please God let this just be a bluff to get Dwight to opt out. Can't deal with Dumbtoni being the hire.

1 person likes this.
  2. boiler

boiler Member

I guess that's Morey's plan lol.

3. RocketFan

RocketFan Contributing Member

What they are banking on is D'Antoni resigning as HC of the Rockets (like Skiles did in Orlando) just like he did in New York and in Los Angeles and then we going out and signing Jeff Van Gundy! :grin::p

4. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I knew it!

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

That makes no sense. Isn't Dwight gonna opt out anyway? And God forbid he didn't, the Rockets have all summer to trade him.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Dwight opting in screws up our ability to go after two max contracts.

7. count_dough-ku

Yeah, except we're not getting any star players this summer. If we hand out a max contract, it'll be because we overpaid a role player like Harrison Barnes.

1 person likes this.
  8. marky :)

marky :) Member

Has this been confirmed by jopat yet? No? Post has no value yet then.

9. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Is signing D'Antoni also a way to show Jeremy Lin the welcome mat?

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think Cyber has been one of the gems that has made this site special over the years.

That being said, some of these types of posts show his hand a bit, and blur the lines between opinion vs. sourced info.

There are many things we can assume here without the reports-

-Mostly that maybe the Rockets (Morey & Les) really do want Howard gone (likely the case for various reasons we've seen as evidence).

However this shows a complete lack of understanding what the Dwight Howard opt in really means for the Rockets. If Dwight ops in, he's immediately going to be traded. There are many teams with cap room that will, in a perfect world, have HIGH interest in Dwight but will not want to commit long term due to health reasons. Think of all the teams he can fill a role for, and think of how many teams have cap space.

Dwight's main goal in free agency will be to secure a long term contract. Opting in only screws him. Actually I would think the Rockets secretly hope he does opt in. In reality its in their best interest to hire a coach that Dwight wants to play for so he does opt in.

And at this point, the Rockets aren't going to use D'Antoni dangled out there as a candidate strictly as a bargaining chip. We have to believe that they are seriously interested in him or it wouldn't be as widely reported by the best Rockets sources out there.

Cyberx provides some great insight that he hears from secondary, or third party sources, but I would counsel skepticism on this one. The Rockets aren't likely interviewing D'Antoni because of anything to do with Dwight. More than likely they actually REALLY like D'Antoni, and we need to wake up to the realization that this is the ownership & management we now have, and understand how different their thought process is from the fans & how disconnected they are from us.

2 people like this.
  11. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

News flash:

Bring in D'Antoni to cause Dwight to opt out, then NO GOOD FA's WILL SIGN HERE

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

12. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Pringles was great in the desert, not great with the Knicks, but had a Rockets 15-16 season with the lakers. As much as we need a better defense, this team has to get more efficient on offense as well. If you completely solve at least one of those problems that's huge, but I would assume the defense is a bigger concern. He could be great, who knows?

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

maybe, but if Howard opts in you're overpaying a role player too.

14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, well... The Rockets would need to interview him first but.... Hopefully :)

15. OTMax

OTMax Member

Pathetic organization, Dwight deserves better than this. These are the kind of tactics that make people hate Morey and the Rockets and rightfully so. I dislike the way big fella played too but this is downright classless and disrespectful.

1 person likes this.
  16. kyrie Dwight

kyrie Dwight Member

Shut up this cyber dude clearly been wrong the past couple months he don't know **** he just get lucky bum ass ***** Dwight don't need this crappy ass organization

17. count_dough-ku

So trade his ass then. He doesn't have a no-trade clause in his contract. You could ship him out and get assets in return. It may not be the ideal situation, but neither is having a ton of capspace and no one to sign as is the most likely outcome this summer.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

No wonder everyone hates us.

It's really hard to like this organization right now. Even for someone like me, who's been supporting them since the late 70's.

19. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

After woo'ing Dwight 3 years ago, dinner in LA with Rockets legends and now kicking him to the curb like this...what free agent would honestly want to sign with the Rockets?

This is a terrible way to treat someone who has done so much for the city of Houston.

The Rockets are losing me here. It's crazy to think that the Astros and Texans now how more upside than the Rockets. :mad:

20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, the Melo campaign was great! Such class, I mean obviously Lin was gone if Melo signed.... But probably could have gave him a heads up on the imagery (I am not even a Lin fan...). Just another example of Rockets PR!!!

Don't worry though, eventually the players, wait I mean assets (because the Rockets treat it more than a business) won't be interested in playing here either.

But obviously this could also be the media blowing this up, since they really hate us.