1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The NBA’s most lopsided 1-way players: Offensive edition

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Harden's beard, May 16, 2016.

1. Harden's beard

Bad news for Harden Haters. He's not on the list.

http://www.todaysfastbreak.com/from-the-courts/nbas-lopsided-1-way-players-offensive-edition/

[​IMG]

All-Lopsided team that would see the points racked up on both sides.

PG: Damian Lillard, Kyrie Irving
    SG: DeMar DeRozan, Evan Fournier
    SF: Kobe Bryant, C.J. Miles
    PF: Ryan Anderson, Mirza Teletovic
    C: Enes Kanter, Greg Monroe

[rQUOTEr] The most lopsided player by this measure is Damian Lillard, not James Harden. In fact, Harden isn’t even on the list because, shockingly, he’s not below average for his position.

We already discussed Damian Lillard. Kyrie Irving has “earned” a spot here, too. Irving shows the same degree of effort on the court as the oft-criticized Harden does — maybe even less. But for whatever reason he doesn’t get as roasted for it. Maybe it’s because while Harden thrives by drawing “contact” in what we’ll politely call a very unaesthetic form of offense, Irving’s crossover magic-handles are a beautiful thing to behold. Irving’s game is just prettier, so he draws fewer critiques on the other end.
    [/rQUOTEr]
    A very interesting explanation - which I totally buy, BTW - as to why only Harden gets picked apart like crazy for not playing defense when he's not even the most egregious case, and guys like Lillard and Irving get free pass, just because their game is more "prettier" to look at.

4 people like this.
  2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Your list is invalid.

3. Harden's beard

Your comment is invalid since it's not my list. There's this thing called hyperlink, google it if you don't know how to use it.

4. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Nerd stats

5. what

what Member

DRPM, lol

6. Harden's beard

Is judging a player's defense based on edited youtube/vine clips better? Even if you look at other evidences like DBPM or Drtg, guys like Lillard, Irving, DeRozan are all worse than Harden defensively.

7. Drogba

Drogba Member

Harden with another W.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Honestly those stats are questionable evidence. The eye test is the better judge of defense. As a Rockets fan I don't watch the other guys save a few games, I watch the Rockets and I can attest to the fact that Hardens defense is terrible. Who cares if he's not on some list, Harden defensively is unacceptable.

9. Harden's beard

It's not questionable when there is a mountain of evidence that suggests Harden is not as bad defensively as the narrative suggests. Also, my eye test tells me that guys like T-Jones, Brewer, Terry, Dwight and Ariza have been just as horrible this season, they just don't commit WTF type of defensive lapese that Harden sometmes do, but on average every player on our roster save for Capela have been bad on the defensive side, and much of that has to be blamed on coaching.

10. Harden's beard

Westbrick on full force today. 1/10 so far.

11. Rokman

Rokman Member

Does this rate how a player defends his same position on the other team or the person that said player is actually defending while on the court? Meaning, Harden may be defending the weaker offensive back court / wing players while Beverley or Ariza is defending the opposing 2 guard which lowers the opposing 2 guards numbers but that's not really attributed to Harden.

12. Harden's beard

yes, RPM does take into account the level of your teammates and opponents.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10740818/introducing-real-plus-minus

13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

If you don't even watch the other teams, how can you compare harden to other players?

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

another idiotic thread. The Harden fans have to reach far and wide for subjective stats . Half of them don't even understand the meaning of context or the fallacy of implying causation for everyone of their cherry picked (individual algorithm dependent) stats.

15. Harden's beard

I think words like 'subjective' and 'cherry-picked' are more suitable to use when someone tries to gauge a player's defensive impact based on few edited vine clips.

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

The fans on this site watch almost every game, every year. Don't discredit them like that. Watching 48 minutes of a game isn't watching a couple of vines, ESPN does that and I agree on that front.

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

This is the most ironic post ever posted on Clutchfans, lol. Good job Cheke!

18. Harden's beard

Yes so did I, and the conclusion I've come to is Harden's on-ball and post-up defense is pretty serviceable, but it's his off the ball defense that really drags him down defensively. Overall, he's not nearly close to being the worst defender but that's what the media narrative pushes for. I've watched plenty of guys playing bad defense on other teams, and believe me there are far many more egregious cases than Harden.

1 person likes this.
  19. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I agree with this for some reason dude thinks he needs to always help when he needs to stay solid on his own man.

20. maw7079

maw7079 Member

Damian Lillard is a WAY better defender than Harden