1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey Has Got To Go

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fantasma Negro, May 13, 2016.

1. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Daryl Morey Has Got To Get Better.

Fixed.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I can agree with the 2nd part, but the draft has been pretty meh - when you hear things like the jubilation on getting Patterson as he was number 6 on their board, does not instill confidence in their evaluation.

Or Morris over Kawhi...

DD

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Guess they better get him over to Memorial Hermann.

Because there's only one place I go TO GET BETTER.

:p

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5p1Gs3vT1vA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The Rockets had almost zero turnover this past season - other than swapping out little used/late season pickup Pablo Prigioni for Ty Lawson - and the result was horrible, horrible, horrible regression.

The previous seaosn they got rid of Lin, Parsons, Asik, 3 starters or mainstays from the year before, and the result was WCF's.

5. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

LOLOL. We think alike. I was looking for that video....to make my post....Better.

#Better

6. Pete the Cheat

so you were opposed to signing Howard and Lawson?

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just not true, not all players were key ones, but they do all contribute to the chemistry.

Here are the players that were different between years (Excluding draft picks)

1. Prigioni
    2. N. Johnson
    3. Thornton
    4. Lawson
    5. Papanikolaou
    6. Canaan
    7. Hayes
    8. Shved
    9. Dorsey

So, while most of the core remained intact, there was still quite a bit of flipping - some notables that hurt us in chemistry on the floor were Prigioni, Papa, Canaan and Thornton.....

Anyway, this was a down year in horse trading I guess.

DD

8. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Actually we did have turnover over the course of the season. Lawson was traded for and then bought out. Thornton was signed and then bought out(and traded in between). Smith was brought back. Beasley was signed. And D-Mo was dealt and only returned because Detroit canceled the trade. The only reason we didn't have more turnover was because we had no room under the cap.

And my point is that in Morey's near decade of running the show, constant turnover of players is the norm. We're never building anything here. It's always about swinging for the fences and trying to either sign or trade for a big star. I mean, here we are just 3 years after signing Dwight already back to square one(aside from Harden).

9. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

LOL, so you are telling me that we wouldn't landed a top 5 player maybe through draft/draft picks/trade?

Give me a break. His strategy hasn't proved what you and some others would like. 10 years man, 10 years!

#69 Amel, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
  10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Maybe he's talked like a top 5 gm cause that's how good he is and the 10 guys on a fansite who thinks the opposite are just wrong :confused:

Nah...this can't be true...the 10 guys must be right.

:grin:

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

If they were more patient with Patterson, and allowed him to develop while he was here, he would have been exactly what this team needed off the bench.

Morris over Kawhi probably keeps Morey up at night, however.

12. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Thats what larsv8 and all other Murray followers don't see...but hey Murray might get another chance, and we'll discuss this again

13. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

March 15, 2012: Traded Jordan Hill to the Los Angeles Lakers for Derek Fisher. Fisher never reported and was bought out, so Jordan Hill was traded for nothing

Wrong - Rockets get a 1st in that trade

14. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I agree, Murray had some really good picks, no doubt. Ask yourself this tho, why not keep some of that and build around it. Did he have to flip every fukin thing on his desk? 10 years he's been doing this. WHat are we waiting him to flip now?

15. Pete the Cheat

how many playoff series has any of the guys he listed been a part of?

also...the 10 year thing? give it a rest. you conveniently gloss over the end of the Yao/T-Mac era nested right in the middle...

this season was a failure...but you and your chicken feller are just spitting vitriol in hindsight...

ya'lls crap was nowhere to be found when he landed Lawson coming off a WC Final

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

In his "Inside the NBA" interview, he mentioned how he isn't thinking about the opt-out right now (complete b.s., although most of the interview I liked), but he was just looking to work out, "get better".

Naturally I thought of that damn commercial in which he sounds so.....well, dumb. Had I been drinking something when he said it I would have done a spit-take: PTTTTTTTTTTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEY!

1 person likes this.
  17. SamFisher

Ha ha - yeah if you count the guys who weren't on the Rockets team when they go to the WCF's, and who were traded for the guys who were on the team that went to the WCF's, it sure looks like htey had a lot of turnover last offseason!

1. Prigioni (this is real actualy year to year turnover - 17 mpg (when he ws in the rotation in the playoffs) went to Lawson
    2. N. Johnson (real actual turnover, he played 9.4 mpg)
    3. Thornton (was not on the Rockets in 2015...)
    4. Lawson (was not on the Rockets in 2015./b]
    5. Papanikolaou (real actual turnover - traded for Lawson, lost his 18 mpg over 43 games)
    6. Canaan (traded to Philadelphia in February - was not on the Rockets that went to the WCFs)
    7. Hayes (was not on the Rockets in 2015)
    8. Shved (traded in February for Prigioni;
    9. Dorsey (real actual turnover - played 13 minutes in the playoffs, was passed up by Capela)

So basically, if you take every transaction the Rockets did last offseason, and exaggerate it by a factor of 2x, to include both the departure of the outgoing player, and the arrival of the incoming player, and include moves that happened way before last offseason......it's a lot of turnover!!...among scrubs or marginal contributors.

All I am saying is that - if you don't limit it to turnover among the core players, the core players really changed quite a lot

DD

Typical DD stupidity.

18. SamFisher

LOL, so you think if we just stayed the course with Lawson and Thornton in February - continuity would have lifted the ROckets up?

The Rockets did almost zero last offseason to their end-of-season rotatoin, they lost Josh Smith as a major contributor. Prigo as a minor contributor. The rest of the guys gone were scrubs. They replaced them with Lawson in the rotation. That was it. That's probalby the least change of any offseason in the last 10 years. Probably as little as anyone in the league. The SPURS added more than we did.

To say "yeah but they really did have turnover, since they reacquired Josh Smith in midseason" is ...... not credible.

19. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Previous season was a failure too. That's what you don't get. We got lucky at the end. Milkhair was absolute garbage as coach. Chemistry was always an issue with this team. All of us were happy with the Lawson trade, and unfortunately it didn't work.

The whole process of flipping assets and hoping they'll work out together is false. You can not build a good team without 1. good coaching 2. chemistry - we failed on both fronts...

20. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rockets vs. Spurs Game 6 1995 WCF

double