1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jason Terry on the Doug Gottlieb show

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr of Dunk, May 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I saw Rocket4Life11 post this in another thread and wasn't sure if it had been posted before. If it has, I'm sorry, but I thought the pretty candid responses Terry gives answered a few questions for me. For anyone that may have missed it if it's been posted before :

<iframe id="cbsembed" width="560" height="315" src="http://cbsloc.al/1T1m7RI" frameborder="0" /></iframe>

3 people like this.
  2. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Can you share somethings it answered, can't listen just yet.

3. clos4life

clos4life Member

Great listen! Terry was very honest.

4. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

JR?! Paging you!

5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Biggest takeaway from this is that he already reached out to Luke Walton to join the Lakers. Would have liked to see him return as an assistant next season.

6. clos4life

clos4life Member

Listen to from about 2 minute mark to the 11 minute mark to get all the Rockets related stuff. 9 mins worth of very legit talk on the season.

Several good takeaways.

7. val_modus

val_modus Member

Can anyone post a summary??

8. Rox11

Rox11 Member

He didn't want to diss anyone, i appreciate how brutal the questions were tho.
    The right answer or the answer Terry wanted to prob say about "does Howard know what kind of player he is" no he does not have a ******* clue, he thinks he is still a presence on the offensive end who can demand the ball in the post instead of ONLY run the pick and roll!!/Rant

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I suggest listening to the audio so you're not influenced by my heavy paraphrasing and what others say in the thread, but the major takeaways are below. Italics below are paraphrased text of Gotlieb's question, the rest is Terry's paraphrased responses :

Very disappointing season based upon the talent.
    Fired McHale prematurely.
    Didn't give time for team to gel.
    Some guys coming back from injuries ... same names, but still needed time to gel and develop chemistry.
    Harden wasn't at his best at the beginning due to missed practice time in training camp that would've been valuable to his conditioning.
    It was an adjustment period... took Harden off the ball and gave it to Ty, but Harden is one of the 2 best facilitators in the NBA (Lebron the other) in terms of controlling the ball. Harden doesn't play as well off the ball. Even in OKC, when he came off the bench, it was his ball - his game. Being off the ball was an adjustment for him early on.

Relationship between Dwight and James - how toxic was it? : Wouldn't call it toxic because they got along great off the court, but on the court, they didn't mesh. There was no rhythm to how they play together and that trickled down to the team and they haven't played great together the past 2 years. For whatever reason, it didn't work. Any breakdown we had, the media would make it seem like it was those two. I don't think those guys didn't like each other, I just think their 2 styles of play varied. One guy needed it inside, the other guy obviously controls the game from the outside, so it didn't work.

The lay person would think Dwight should be pick-and-rolling and Beard should be diming him up, but Dwight seems to want the ball in the low block, and I don't think he's that good a low post scorer. Does Dwight know who he is as a player? I believe we all know who we are as players, but there has to be a structure put in place where each player can maximimze his individual talents in a team concept, and I don't think we had that structure this year for whatever reason. Going forward, if those guys stay together, there's going to have to be a coach that comes in and puts that structure in place. Yeah, you want to play one way, but if you don't have the personnel to dictate that style of play, then you have to alter it and mold it towards your players, unless you're Greg Popovich and you can get anybody to do whatever you want them to do at whatever talent level. I think it starts at the top and they gotta get that thing corrected.

What is it like in the lockerroom when on TNT, Twitter, some of the videos of James' defense surface? What is it like when you guys are hanging out, or at shootaround, or in the pre-game... what's the reaction when you guys see it Well, you don't even have to wait to get home to watch it on Twitter, because I'm the first one to point it out to him in film. I hold everybody accountable... even myself. If you pull up tape of Jason Terry over the past 10 years, you're going to see him get backdoored. That's one of his weaknesses - he tends to watch the ball. That's James'. In his growth, where he's at, defensively, he's just not there yet. He's such a dominant offensive player that his defense gets overlooked, and it should to an extent. When you're not winning everybody's going to nitpick. Steph Curry isn't the best on-ball defensive player out there, but they don't show that on SportsCenter... him getting blown by - they show his 3's from half-court because they're winning. As James gets further on in his development and he starts to win more games, more meaningful playoff games, meaninful series, they'll start to overlook those backdoors - I guarantee that.

#9 Dr of Dunk, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016
    3 people like this.
  10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

A lot of stuff in there that Harden haters are really not going to like hearing.

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Really appreciate this. Terry seems to be a solid guy and a team player. He looks like he's going to have a long career as a coach.

12. clos4life

clos4life Member

Lots of paraphrasing here and in no way completely accurate but gets the general gist of the conversation the best I can. I am no J.R. so keep that in mind.

Host: Larry O’ Brien tattoo on Jet’s arm. Talks about game 5 guarantee over the Warriors. Not the same at was on Dallas.

Jet: Nope, not at all. All I can guarantee now is this is going to be a great (interview?). Just trying to get my team mates going.

Host: Going back to Rasheed Wallace no one thinks they are going to lose a game. Guaranteeing a loss would be a much bigger deal.

Jet: Guarantees are not what they used to be. When you are down 3-1 guaranteeing anything other than you are going to win is pretty much ridiculous. Just trying to motivate my team since we had nothing to lose.

Host: How would you characterize the season?

Jet: Disappointing. As you get on in years it’s all about the championship. For me to have the talent we had in Houston and doing what we did it was very disappointing.

Host: When did you know something was amiss with the makeup of the team?

Jet: Early on when we fired coach McHale. It was premature. We needed more time for the pieces that we added to gel together. Ty Lawson, briging back DMO and PBev were additions that gave us a different team chemistry wise and we needed time to gell.

Host: JH was not good at the beginning of the season. Why was that when other teams like the Warriors took it to another level?

Jet: Beard missed valuable training camp time and they tried making him an off the ball player and Ty the facilitator and that’s not James’ game. Beard and Lebron are 1 and 2 best controllers of the ball of the offensive side of the ball. Even in OKC as a sub when he came in he controlled the ball in the game. It was an adjustment during that first month of the season.

Host: I want your thoughts on the relationship between D12 and James. How toxic was it?

Jet: There was no rhythm on the court, off the court was fine. For whatever reason those 2 don’t fit on the court. I thought it could go well but any mistake and the media would be all over them. At the end of the day it’s just bball. Their styles don’t fit and it’s not that they don’t like each other.

Host: Does Dwight know who he is? Dwight seems to want the ball on the block and he is not a good post player.

Jet: He knows who he is. We didn’t have a good system to maximize the talents in place for the team AND the individual players. We didn’t have structure this year. Going forward Rockets need a coach that will place structure in play. That coach needs to be able to mold the system with the talents of the personnel. It starts at the top and they need to get that things corrected.

Host: What is it like in the locker room when TNT/Twitter show James playing bad defense? What’s the reaction when you see it on TV?

Jet: I’ll be the first one to point it out on film. I hold guys accountable including me. That’s James’ weakness and he needs to work on it. He is an amazingly talented offensive player and that makes some of his defense be overlooked. He needs to work on it but it would get over looked if he was winning. Steph Curry is not a great on the ball defender but you don’t see his breakdowns because he is winning, all you see is highlights of him making 3s from halfcourt on ESPN.

As James wins more the media will start to overlook his deficiencies more like they do Steph…

After that it’s playoff talk and his coaching future, etc. Ya’ll can listen to that when you get home.

EDIT: Boy, I should have known better than to try and typing all this. Some of you guys are really talented on recaps.

#12 clos4life, May 10, 2016
    2 people like this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Not the same come through on the prediction (guarantee) as in Dallas.

No. Not at all. Just trying to motivate my teammates any way I could.

There's not an athlete in the world who doesn't go in thinking they're gonna win. Saying we're gonna win, it should be a bigger deal when someone says we're not gonna win.

Guarantees aren't as big as they used to be. When you're down 3-1 guaranteeing anything other than you're gonna play hard is pretty much ridiculous. Again, trying to motivate my team. We got nothing to lose.

How would you characterize this season for the Rockets?

Disappointing. Very disappointing for me. Later years, it's about competing at a high level and going for a championship. Any year I don't get to the finals or win it all is a disappointment. To have the talent we had on the team was disappointing.

When did you know something was amiss?

Early on, when we fired McHale, that was premature. We didn't get off to a great start but we just needed time to gel. Lawson, who was a starter and all-star caliber player in Denver, you bring back the guys not healthy at the end of the season(Beverley & Motiejunas) and you had a different team. Same names, different team chemistry wise. That was gonna take time to develop and gel.

Harden wasn't good the first month - why?

Early on, Beard missed time in training camp/practice time that was valuable to his conditioning. Again, it was an adjustment period. We tried to take him off the ball, which he doesn't play as well and tried to make Ty a facilitator. James is one of the best facilitators we have in the game, him and LeBron 1-2. When you put him off the ball, it's an adjustment.

Relationship between Dwight & James - how toxic was it?

I wouldn't call it toxic. When your two superstars don't, not get along, off the court they were great but mesh on the court and no rhythm to how they play where they can co-exist, it trickles down to the team. Trying to get them on the same page two years in a row, it's been tough. For whatever reason, they didn't fit. My role was to get them to fit. For me, it was a work in progress. Any little breakdown we had, the media would make it those two. When you have two superstars who demand as much attention, there will be friction. It was just basketball. I don't think they didn't like each other. Their styles vary. One needed it inside, the other controlled it from the outside. It didn't work.

Does Dwight know who he is as a player? He wants it on the block.

I believe we all know who we are as players but there has to be structure in place where each player can maximize his individual talent in the team concept. We didn't have that structure this year. If they stay together, there will have to be a coach who comes in and puts that structure in place. Yeah, you want to play one way but if you don't have the personnel to dictate that style of play, you have to alter it and mold it towards your players unless your Pop and you can get anyone to do whatever you want. It starts at the top man and they gotta get it corrected.

What is it like in the locker room when the guys on TNT or twitter or the videos of James losing his man? When people pick apart his defense, what is the reaction like hanging out at shoot-around or pregame?

You don't have to wait to get home to see it on twitter. I'm the first one to point it out on film. James is a student of the game. If you pull up tape of Jason Terry, you'll see him get backdoor'd. He watches the ball. That's James. Where he's at in his development/growth, defensively, he's not there yet. He's such a dominant offensive player, that his defense gets overlooked and it should to an extent. When you're a superstar, everyone will nitpick unless you're winning. Steph is not the best on ball defender but they don't show it on SportsCenter. They show him shooting because he's winning. As James starts to win more games, more meaningful series, they'll start to overlook those backdoors, I guarantee that.

Spurs/Thunder officiating.

Some calls missed magnified now because it's the playoffs. Couple of them [refs] had a rough night. Does it happen? Yes. Is it magnified? Yes, because it's the playoffs.

Webber went crazy.

I learned early, with 10 seconds or left, anything goes. You gotta hold, grab, fight, scrap. Refs feel the same way. They'll let it play out. If you call every single thing at the end of the game, it'll be 20-30 minutes long. I like the way they did it, play on. Let the players dictate the outcome.

L2M reports, is that good or bad for the league?

It's bad for the relationships between the players & refs. They're admitting yes, we made a bad call. We already know as players & coaches and that's why we're on you all game. Keep that concealed. No one needs to know about that other than refs. Just like our film sessions, that's between the players & coaches. We don't need to know every mistake you made, especially the last 2 minutes. Mistake by the league. I would throw away that policy.

What should we expect game 3 on from Spurs & Thunder?

You'll start to see SA take control of the series. OKC's in game execution is not their strong suit. They know they have to get a big lead and hold it. That's tough to do, especially against SA. I think Coach Pop will make the adjustments. They win a game here in Oklahoma and close it out in SA.

In comparison to other great teams you've played against, are they(GS) that much better?

A pretty good darn team in Miami(05-06) beat us. They were so good because they had a young star but also had hall of famers. With that said, they played together as a team. GS in this era is doing it better than no other. What Kerr has done, it's been phenomenal. They share the ball offensively. Defensively, they understand their weaknesses and make you play to yours. Draymond is an animal. He's Mike Singletary defensively. Every breakdown, he's there to cover up. As a team, they're one of the best. If they win it this year, they'll go down as the best team in my eyes, discarding the Bulls. No one is better than those Bulls teams.

You interviewed in season with UAB for their job. What was it like?

Phenomenal. Once in a lifetime experience. It lets me know where I am in my post-career planning. You do need a plan. My goal & passion is to coach (Division 1 or NBA level). I'll put my skills up against any coach. These last two/three years, I've been getting on the job training. When UAB called, I was shocked but had to get prepared. Great experience and have guys helping me now putting together my college coaching book so I'll be even more prepared next time.

Luke Walton gets the Lakers job. He's 36 and has coached. How hard will it be for Luke to go from GS(ready made team) to young, immature team.

It'll be tough at first until they get the right personnel. When you have a young group, you need vets around them to support their development. Aide them & assist them in the locker room. Luke is a champion, has played at a high level and respected among his peers. That said, he'll have to hire a great staff. They're young. 3 of their 5 starters should still be playing college ball. He needs someone well versed in player development. He'll fail for 2-3 years to start out unless they can bring in a big name FA.

Coaching or playing next year?

I already put a call in to Luke. He won't return my calls right now, as I'm still under contract with the Houston Rockets. I'll put a call out and whatever capacity he'd like, I'd love to join Luke and help him out. He's my Arizona brethren and we stick together.

#13 J.R., May 10, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  14. houtown

houtown Member

Structure is the key word, I have been talking about how the past two coaches were unable to install structure in how the team played on the court. They almost played a freestyle version of basketball.

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Hmm...no blind narrative spinning? Imagine that!

16. Newlin

Newlin Member

He wasn't really complaining about the coaches. He was complaining about Morey not allowing the coaches to mold the offense to match the players talents. When he said it starts at the top, he was talking about Morey. Forcing the team to play Moreyball when we don't have the right mix of players for that system is stupid.

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Finally listened

Biggest takeaways
    -Terry called out the lack of system and coaches that don't cater the gameplan towards the personnel, basically a shot at JB and Morey
    -Harden/Dwight's on-court chemistry sucks, and it is challenging for the whole team to get in a rhythm together, when their two offensive focal points can't get in a rhythm
    -He kind of refused to call out Harden on his poor defense, just said he has things to work on.

1 person likes this.
  18. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Would love to see Terry on the TNT crew

19. houtown

houtown Member

If the coaches go along with Morey, then they go hand in hand with one another at the time.

If the coaches are in charged with installing the game plan, then they still deserve blame in My opinion at the moment.

Either way, whether they go along with "Moreyball ," or not, coaches have a job for a reason if I Am not mistaken when on the court.

20. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Jason Terry appreciation thread?